Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
    No need to guess
    Also, why wouldn't part timers care what they are paid? If anything they care MORE than the people who can get 40 hours every week.
    I'm sure there are some part-time workers who care.

The point of my post, again, is that while a public opinion poll may say 67% of the public is in favor of it, that means that 33% are against. And it is my hunch that of the 67% in favor, a big chunk don't have a "dog in the fight" so to speak, because it doesn't affect them one way or the other, directly. That's why you don't see the big political push for it.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

You guys are in charge. Those things don't work anymore.
      I was going to say something about my state, but it's amusing for you to be complaining about the minimum wage idea than you trying to defend having kids taken from their parents. Positive move for the country.

BTW, minimum wage = fill up instead of trickle down. Trickle down has never, ever worked- so lets work with fill up. From a simple economic examination- the people who get paid minimum wage are much less likely to save any of their money- therefore all of the wage increase will go to driving the economy. Whereas for trickle down- rich people save money- so for the same amount of money as min-wage, trickle down will have a very minor effect on the economy- since rich people tend to save so much of their money (or at least tie it up in unusable areas, like trading stocks and bonds).

The idea should be about having money cycle through the economy the maximum number of times before being taken out. And the low end of the economy tends to start by supporting other low end of the economy areas, and it takes quite a few cycles before it even hit the board of directors of companies. This spending is good for the economy.

Even better is if this higher min-wage means that people need less public support to survive- from donations to direct welfare- let that go to the people who need it more- spreading out a limited resource more effectively.

Comment

• Sounds like the MTG meeting didn't go as planned...

https://twitter.com/LeaderHoyer/stat...12103345938434

And Lady G. is now saying that the posts she made in the past might be taken out of context.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1357055274914299904
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• This is the failed "Oh noes! A smoking ban in restaurants is going to tank my small business!" argument.

I used to be a "$15 is too high" person, and would have agreed with Manchin on $11. .... Six years ago. Now, I'm all aboard the $15 train.

$15/hr is $31k *before* taxes. Knock off 30% for Soc Security, taxes, etc. and you're at $22k net.

And don't give me that automation bullsh** either. McDonalds (et. al.) were gonna be introducing kiosks, automation, self checkout no matter if they were paying $15/hr, $7.50hr, or $1.25/hr. The bulk of your costs on employees are their health insurance, employer taxes, training, reimbursables, etc. Paying them a few bucks more doesn't affect the budget that much. And if it did, then there was some fundamentals wrong with the setup.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• https://twitter.com/MotherJones/stat...53461234245633

Definitely easy to take this out of context...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
              This is the failed "Oh noes! A smoking ban in restaurants is going to tank my small business!" argument.

I used to be a "$15 is too high" person, and would have agreed with Manchin on $11. .... Six years ago. Now, I'm all aboard the $15 train.

$15/hr is $31k *before* taxes. Knock off 30% for Soc Security, taxes, etc. and you're at $22k net.

And don't give me that automation bullsh** either. McDonalds (et. al.) were gonna be introducing kiosks, automation, self checkout no matter if they were paying $15/hr, $7.50hr, or $1.25/hr. The bulk of your costs on employees are their health insurance, employer taxes, training, reimbursables, etc. Paying them a few bucks more doesn't affect the budget that much. And if it did, then there was some fundamentals wrong with the setup.
              Maybe we should couch it in the argument that if you pay people a better wage they can afford to buy guns! Make it a 2A argument!
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

I was going to say something about my state, but it's amusing for you to be complaining about the minimum wage idea than you trying to defend having kids taken from their parents. Positive move for the country.
                You guys are the immigration nazis on this board, not me.

I have repeatedly stated my position on immigration. I am in favor of open borders. You want to come here, welcome. You just have to obey our laws.

If you actually want to be a citizen once you come here, you have to follow the steps required to become a citizen. Once you follow those steps, then you get a vote and otherwise get a say in how we run things here.

That is my position. I've never deviated from it.

There isn't a one of you so-called liberals on this board who have stated they agree with me. Instead, it's all about questions of sovereignty, blah, blah, blah.

Until you agree with me, any blood spilled through immigration controls is on your hands, not mine.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/1357054156708732929

Want to talk unity? Let’s talk unity. In the latest @QuinnipiacPoll, just 18% of Americans side with Republicans in opposing Democrats’ plan for $1,400 stimulus checks. An astounding 78% support the plan.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

You guys are the immigration nazis on this board, not me.

I have repeatedly stated my position on immigration. I am in favor of open borders. You want to come here, welcome. You just have to obey our laws.

If you actually want to be a citizen once you come here, you have to follow the steps required to become a citizen. Once you follow those steps, then you get a vote and otherwise get a say in how we run things here.

That is my position. I've never deviated from it.

There isn't a one of you so-called liberals on this board who have stated they agree with me. Instead, it's all about questions of sovereignty, blah, blah, blah.

Until you agree with me, any blood spilled through immigration controls is on your hands, not mine.
                    I honestly don't recall a single post of outrage over what the previous president did, so you can step down from your pretend high moral position. It's fake. We all know it.

Comment

• So in order to try and deflect from MTG...the House GOP now wants Omar removed from her committees. As a Jew I find their disingenuous BS proof they don't have the stones to govern or do the right thing even when it is obvious. (yes I already knew that) They are scum...all of them. And as someone who votes for her (and criticizes her stances on things sometimes) they are only guaranteeing I will continue to vote for her over whatever Nazi they put forth. That goes double for when they race bait by supporting a Black Man. We don't need Tim Scott like frauds in this district.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1357055770840469506
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

You guys are in charge. Those things don't work anymore.
                        You can repeat a National Review Online talking point as many times as you want. It doesn't make it carry any more meaning than the first time you tried it.

Your games are puerile.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          So in order to try and deflect from MTG...the House GOP now wants Omar removed from her committees.
                          Classic false equivalency from the party that harbors actual Nazis.

American conservatives will stoop as low as it takes. They have zero limits because they have nothing but malice and greed in their hearts.

Ignore them. They traded (traitored) the right to participate in sincere government when they attempted to destroy it. They are no longer members of our polity, and their words are empty.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            The bulk of your costs on employees are their health insurance, employer taxes, training, reimbursables, etc. Paying them a few bucks more doesn't affect the budget that much. And if it did, then there was some fundamentals wrong with the setup.
                            I guess I don't know your background or what you do, or whether you have ever employed anyone, or for that matter, whether you've even said so on this board. However, I employ people, and have for more than 30 years. I can tell you that the "bulk" of my costs relating to employees is their wages or salaries. That's not to say that other things, like insurance, taxes, retirement contributions, workers comp, unemployment, etc..., are insignificant, because they certainly aren't.

For us, it normally runs about two thirds / one third. Two thirds of the cost is wages and salaries, one third is all the other stuff.

But that raises an important point.

Let's say I am paying a full time employee $13/hr. Their annual pay would be $27,040, but their expense to me (using the two thirds / one third breakdown) would be $40,560.

But now I raise their pay to $15/hr. Their annual pay would go to $31,200, but the other stuff is going up too, because pretty much all of that is hinged to wages. Their retirement contributions, work comp, unemployment, bonuses, etc... When that happens the cost to me maybe goes to $46,800 (on the two thirds / one third basis), which ends up increasing my costs for that one employee by 15.4%. That's not insignificant.

Now, none of my employees earn less than $15/hr., so whether they change it or not doesn't affect my business at all. But to just say, "it's a buck an hour" sort of misses the point of the actual costs involved.

Comment

• I have an idea for employers to stop paying for health care!

Comment

• Now there’s talk of the Dems lowering the stimulus threshold. They’re really going to manage to screw up the easiest policial maneuver they’ve had since... I don’t even know when.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X