Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't remember (because I have the attention span of a goldfish) a time like this where companies are having their feet held to the fire on social issues. Usually they stick to the tax laws like you said. Companies and entities are now publicly condemning and punishing this bad behavior.

This is a major change.
    Once the consumer base damage to their bottom line becomes great enough to offset any benefits the pols give them via subsidies and tax breaks, you'll see this happen. We may be at the point where it's begun. The 50+ year old consumer isn't gonna be there to buy their **** much longer. They need to keep expanding their market.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Dogwhistle gonna dogwhistle: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tom-c...b6c70eccaad7a9

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Is it? I don't much see it I wont lie. There has always been social movements like this where people call for boycotts and if the media picks it up the company puts out a friendly press release to end the news cycle and makes some superficial change to appease the mob. Then 6 months later everyone forgets and the cycle continues.

We like to think because things are louder things are changing. They really aren't. GA isn't changing their law, and no other state that deals with this will either. Coke is not going to risk their sweet low corporate tax rates just because a bunch of people on Twitter pretend they are going to not drink it because they donate to GOPers. Newsflash, none of them will just like Trump and his moron followers won't either. All the randos saying they were quitting Delta...would have been back if Delta had better prices for a trip they needed within a few months. Tim Cook ripped the law only AFTER it passed and every Apple cult member praised him to high heaven and just ignored that he had zero to say when he actually could make an impact. People want to be placated, they don't have the follow through to actually fight.

I mean jesus if any of this really mattered Chick-Fil-A would be struggling. Last I checked they are doing just fine despite supposedly every Lefty Progressive boycotting them over their religious policies. You know why...cause half of them quit their boycott the second they needed a sandwich while on a layover and never looked back. Their beliefs only matter in as much as they don't inconvenience them.

Write it down...right before the Midterms (or right after depending) CNN/MSNBC/WAPO/NYTimes will do a story that looks into various controversial candidates in the cycle and who donated to them. All of these businesses people are praising now for taking a stand after the fact will be on said list as will others like say Target or Best Buy. You don't even have to go back that far to realize this is true...how many of these companies "stood for BLM and Social Justice" in the wake of the George Floyd murder and still donated to people after that who trafficked in racism and supported Jim Crow-esque laws? Quite a few of them as they were called out for it in the wake of the GA law. Corporations don't care what you think, because they know they have what you want. They will play both sides against the middle and get all of the money.
        Yeah, you might be right. I'm guessing based on how the situation "feels". This just feels different.

I think rufus makes a good point. It's not the 50+ crackers that Coke has to worry about. It's the Millenials and Gen Z.

All info & graphs from here: Link
        • Baby Boomers (ages 55-75 years old) spend a total of $548.1 billion annually
        • Gen X (ages 36-54 years old) follow Boomers with $357 billion annual spend
        • Millennials (25-35) are next with $322.5 billion in annual spend
        • The Silent generation (ages 76 years and older) spend $162.9 billion annually
        • [Gen Z ~44 billion annually]

It's going to (obviously) matter on the industry how impactful this will be and how quick we see change. But looking at the categories below, Y+Z is > B+S in almost all of the sectors and that's only going to grow as Z starts to have more kids coming out of college and getting their first promotions/bumps in pay. GenX is the wildcard. Not sure they give a ****, like usual. Anyways, my point is, boomers will die and so will their money. Z+Y care about this stuff and have no problem carrying their money to someone else.

I'd be especially scared if I were travel or retail.

Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          Holy ****

Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yeah, you might be right. I'm guessing based on how the situation "feels". This just feels different.

I think rufus makes a good point. It's not the 50+ crackers that Coke has to worry about. It's the Millenials and Gen Z.

All info & graphs from here: Link
            • Baby Boomers (ages 55-75 years old) spend a total of $548.1 billion annually
            • Gen X (ages 36-54 years old) follow Boomers with $357 billion annual spend
            • Millennials (25-35) are next with $322.5 billion in annual spend
            • The Silent generation (ages 76 years and older) spend $162.9 billion annually
            • [Gen Z ~44 billion annually]

It's going to (obviously) matter on the industry how impactful this will be and how quick we see change. But looking at the categories below, Y+Z is > B+S in almost all of the sectors and that's only going to grow as Z starts to have more kids coming out of college and getting their first promotions/bumps in pay. GenX is the wildcard. Not sure they give a ****, like usual. Anyways, my point is, boomers will die and so will their money. Z+Y care about this stuff and have no problem carrying their money to someone else.

I'd be especially scared if I were travel or retail.

I hope I am wrong...but we always think "this time is the straw that broke the camel's back!!" and then the movement dies and nothing changes. It is incumbent upon us to keep the corporations feet to the flames.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• My god she's breathtakingly bad at this

https://twitter.com/SenGillibrand/st...482607106?s=20
              Code:

Comment

• Manchin pens op Ed and says he’s opposed to using budget reconciliation to pass infrastructure and will not get rid of filibuster under any circumstance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  Manchin pens op Ed and says he’s opposed to using budget reconciliation to pass infrastructure and will not get rid of filibuster under any circumstance.
                  Unless he’s actually going to run again at 76, I don’t see why he’s doing any of this except to feel important. There’s no reason to continue to grandstand these positions.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Then it's time to put him feet first into the woodchipper and see if he wants to bargain.
                    Code:

Comment

My god she's breathtakingly bad at this

Thank God she flamed out in the primaries quickly. She's the left's equivalent of Rubio.

Comment

My god she's breathtakingly bad at this

Still not as bad as Roy Blunt. I damn near drove my work truck into a guardrail yelling at the radio when he was on CNBC a few days ago.

"I think there's an easy win here for the White House if they would take that win, which is make this an infrastructure package, which is about 30% — even if you stretch the definition of infrastructure some — it's about 30% of the $2.25 trillion we are talking about spending," Blunt said.

"If we'd go back and look at roads and bridges and ports and airports, and maybe even underground water systems and broadband, you'd still be talking about less than 30% of this entire package," he added.
                        *MAYBE* add water and broadband?!? Maybe?!? Is that not infrastructure where you live Senator?

(Thats rhetorical, he's from Southwest Missouri, so I'm sure flush toilets and electric lights are a novelty to him).
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• How is broadband and water not infrastructure? I'll hang up and listen.

I actually agree with Gillibrand but it was stupid to say and I would never say it that way. The issue is how "labor" is completely dismissed from any discussion on anything. The labor force is infrastructure in my mind and anything that helps the labor force is reinforcing your infrastructure and making you a stronger country. It's the same way labor is shafted on taxes in relation to capital. It's BS.
                          Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 04-08-2021, 08:13 AM.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Thank God she flamed out in the primaries quickly. She's the left's equivalent of Rubio.
                            Ouch.

I'm not sure if it's the best or worst thing to make this bill bloated as hell. I'm leaning worst because we need to show we can get things done but more importantly, it's about making sure the it can't be branded as the Dems are causing the deficit to rise on pork. That kills our chances in 2022 plus Manchin D(ip****)-WV would torpedo the bill anyways.

But maybe it's the best. Get everything we can into the bill since we're not getting it again.
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              How is broadband and water not infrastructure? I'll hang up and listen.

I actually agree with Gillibrand but it was stupid to say and I would never say it that way. The issue is how "labor" is completely dismissed from any discussion on anything. The labor force is infrastructure in my mind and anything that helps the labor force is reinforcing your infrastructure and making you a stronger country. It's the same way labor is shafted on taxes in relation to capital. It's BS.
                              It's asinine to me not to include water in that list, but I do see (And strongly disagree) that broadband isn't one of the other basic utilities like electric, gas and water. You cannot be a part of 2021 without broadband access.
                              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                How is broadband and water not infrastructure? I'll hang up and listen.

I actually agree with Gillibrand but it was stupid to say and I would never say it that way. The issue is how "labor" is completely dismissed from any discussion on anything. The labor force is infrastructure in my mind.
                                No it's not. I agree that we should have mandatory paid leave, better child care, and better elder care, but the work force/"human capital" is not infrastructure, and it's freaking dumb to try to sell it as such.

A hospital or a preschool is infrastructure. A road, a dam, an airport, a railroad, a sewer, or a police station is infrastructure. The cops, teachers, nurses, and construction workers are not, nor are the textbooks, pencils, bullets, hammers, or other equipment that are used along with the infrastructure.
                                Last edited by unofan; 04-08-2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X