Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    So we can finally get the Garland confirmation going?
    Not if Lady G has any say...
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

SCSU 2015-16 scoring by class through 40 games
    Seniors: 210 points (71G, 139A) from 5 players
    Juniors: 39 points (8G, 31A) from 4 players
    Sophomores: 99 points (49G, 50A) from 5 players
    Freshmen: 129 points (43G, 86A) from 8 players

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Well, apparently not in all areas, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?
      Here is Some Facts for Ya

2019 poll 67% of Americans were in favor of raising it to $15. Even amongst Republicans it polled at 43%.

A USA Today Poll in August 2020 put it at 72% either agreed or strongly agreed.

Flo(R)ida in November had a referendum and the people voted to raise the minimum wage to $15 with 61% of the vote. This despite Trump winning the state with 51% of the vote. (which Florida wants to deny to ex-felons cause they just love discrimination)

The only people against the idea are the staunch Republicans. Democrats and Independents poll high for raising it. But hey since when does it matter what the people want amirite?

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Here is Some Facts for Ya

2019 poll 67% of Americans were in favor of raising it to $15. Even amongst Republicans it polled at 43%.

A USA Today Poll in August 2020 put it at 72% either agreed or strongly agreed.

Flo(R)ida in November had a referendum and the people voted to raise the minimum wage to $15 with 61% of the vote. This despite Trump winning the state with 51% of the vote. (which Florida wants to deny to ex-felons cause they just love discrimination)

The only people against the idea are the staunch Republicans. Democrats and Independents poll high for raising it. But hey since when does it matter what the people want amirite?
        Sounds like you won't have any trouble at all getting it through, then, since the D's are in complete charge and it's an idea for which there is universal acceptance.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post

Not if Lady G has any say...
          If Mitch cut the deal Graham can't really do much anymore. When he is no longer chair all he can do is whine. Durbin has the gavel and he sets the agenda.

Lady G. is also making more threats about Impeachment witnesses...and he wants you to know MTG's comments MIGHT be troubling. Not a great morning for Lady G.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Sounds like you won't have any trouble at all getting it through, then, since the D's are in complete charge and it's an idea for which there is universal acceptance.
            That depends on Manchin...

But I guarantee you if every state had a vote on it way more would pass it than wouldn't. (if deep Red Florida supports it that is a bellweather) Which again, destroys the point you were trying to make about how "not everybody supports it". The majority do.
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That depends on Manchin...

But I guarantee you if every state had a vote on it way more would pass it than wouldn't. (if deep Red Florida supports it that is a bellweather) Which again, destroys the point you were trying to make about how "not everybody supports it". The majority do.
              Ok, but why doesn't every state vote on it? In fact, is there any state with a federal minimum wage of $15/hr? I think California may be close, but I thought there were some kinks to theirs, such as it only applies to certain employers or something.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                So we can finally get the Garland confirmation going?
                For the Supreme Court?
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Ok, but why doesn't every state vote on it?
                  You ever heard of the NFIB, NFR, NAM, and the "other" NRA (National Restaurant Association)?

The same way special interests always suppress the will of the people. Bribes and threats.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ok, but why doesn't every state vote on it? In fact, is there any state with a federal minimum wage of $15/hr? I think California may be close, but I thought there were some kinks to theirs, such as it only applies to certain employers or something.
                    What does every state voting on it or not have anything to do with what we’re talking about? It’s popular. I’m sure in some states where the GOP is in control, and their constituents still want a higher wage, they won’t allow anyone to vote on it.
                    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bro...imum-wage/amp/
                    Manchin is the hardest vote. Everyone has said that on here ever since Democrats won on January 5th. If Manchin won’t budge off of $11 because of his reasons, you take it and compromise with him elsewhere. You’ve been advocating that too, your “baby steps” approach, and it makes sense. I want $15 too, but if Manchin says “$11 or I tank it”, what then? I guess you could bring up the $11 in the second budget reconciliation bill, but what’s the point of that versus now?

edit: quick perusal with no context to how long until they get there, or local versus statewide, but $15 states are California, New Jersey, New York, Illinois, and Florida.
                    Also, they still have to get a minimum wage approved through budget reconciliation. Of course there are experts that say they can, and some that say they can’t. I guess we’ll see shortly.
                    Last edited by psych; 02-03-2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

For the same reason states dont legalize Sports Betting and Weed despite their popularity. I mean I know you aren't gonna pretend you don't know politicians make decisions against the will of their constituents all the time. You live in a state that didn't allow Sunday Liquor sales for these same reasons. (not to mention Fireworks)

I don't mind if you are gonna do the "just asking questions" bit but don't be intentionally obtuse...we both know you know the answers to the questions you are asking.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I find it kind of refreshing to hear debate about whether minimum wage should be increased 50% or 100%, rather than arguments about whether brown people should be shot or hung. It's JOE TIME!

Also, it's very fulfilling to watch Mitch whining and crying like a sad baby about how horribly partisan it is to pass popular legislation which you were just elected to pass. I hope a lot more things get passed in this partisan fashion and that Mitch's mind continues to melt like Rudy's ears under the horror of actual governance taking place in the U.S.
                        Last edited by geezer; 02-03-2021, 12:56 PM.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

You ever heard of the NFIB, NFR, NAM, and the "other" NRA (National Restaurant Association)?

The same way special interests always suppress the will of the people. Bribes and threats.
                          You guys are in charge. Those things don't work anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            I find it kind of refreshing to hear debate about whether minimum wage should be increased 50% or 100%, rather than arguments about whether brown people should be shot or hung. It's JOE TIME!
                            Why not both?
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

For the same reason states dont legalize Sports Betting and Weed despite their popularity. I mean I know you aren't gonna pretend you don't know politicians make decisions against the will of their constituents all the time. You live in a state that didn't allow Sunday Liquor sales for these same reasons. (not to mention Fireworks)

I don't mind if you are gonna do the "just asking questions" bit but don't be intentionally obtuse...we both know you know the answers to the questions you are asking.
                              I'm pretty sure why I know why it hasn't become something that all, or for that matter, any states have adopted. At least I have my own theory.

It's an item in which a relatively small number of people in this country have a real interest.

I suspect that the number of full time workers making less than $15/hr in this country is certainly less than half of all employed persons. So do the math. What do we have maybe a third of the people in this country who hold full time jobs, so say 110 million. Lets say a third of them don't make $15/hr, so maybe 36 million.

So you have 36 million, barely over 10% of the population that has a real interest in pushing this through, and then on the opposite side you have small business owners, who are going to be the primary businesses that oppose it. Wells Fargo isn't going to oppose it.

So, when you do a poll about whether you are in favor of a $15 minimum wage or not, probably 80% polled have no dog in the fight. Yeah, a lot of them are going to say sure, I support it. But does that mean they're going to hold their representatives accountable for not forcing it through? Does that mean they're going to go out and actively do anything about it? I don't think so. That's why a public opinion poll might show it's "popular" but the political will to do something isn't there.

I'd be curious about a Cafe poll as to how many persons here make less than $15/hr. and would be instantly affected to the good by an increase to that number.

Comment

I suspect that the number of full time workers making less than $15/hr in this country is certainly less than half of all employed persons.
                                No need to guess
                                Originally posted by US Bureau of Labor Statistics
                                In 2019, the median hourly earnings of wage and salary workers in the United States was 15.35 U.S. dollars.
                                Also, why wouldn't part timers care what they are paid? If anything they care MORE than the people who can get 40 hours every week.
                                Last edited by geezer; 02-03-2021, 01:30 PM.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X