Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Actually, I never said that. I know I said IF Republicans had nominated competent Senate candidates, they would have won, but I'm as aware as anyone else they didn't, so that gave us a chance to retain OR gain in the Senate, which I know I posted more than once. I lamented the fact that Roe v. Wade being overturned might mean we would only lose 15 seats in the House (only lost 9, so not too far off) and retain a 50-50 Senate (51-49 D, now 50-49 D, but a BIG deal, as I've said), but nowhere did I ever post I thought we were surefire to lose the Senate.
    That said, I KNOW I posted a million times we'd lose the House. Guaranteed it. You said Democrats would win the House, and offered a friendly bet on the outcome, which I accepted. Democrats absolutely outperformed expectations, but they still lost the House.
    As for comparing the 2022 midterms to the 2024 midterms, every Senate Seat was fought on ground Biden won, including Wisconsin. 2024 is not the same. No amount of "good lord you'll never learn" will change the fact West Virginia is not Arizona and Montana is not Pennsylvania. That said, I think Brown is going to hang on in Ohio, and Tester/Manchin have been defying the odds for years, albeit with the R's inching closer every time.
    We will see. If Trump is on the ticket then all bets are off because he has been nothing but a drag on the GOP even in the winnable elections.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Nope. I literally said that :-)
      I guess I misread it...blame it on my students as I am grading their "work" ;^)
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yes and no. I agree with the bulk of your post, but it's not negligible the knowledge we're losing with people like Pelosi retiring. They know what to give and take or at least have an idea of how to work the system. I don't think you can't take that for granted. I think the fight of the younger generation is needed, but the wisdom to know which hill to die on and which to give up is important. I do think the older generation is a bit too over conservative strategically. So maybe it will be a good change there as well. Time will tell.
        I think that is why Jeffries is the guy people want leading the party. He is the guy both sides of the Dem Party seem to respect and he isn't so overly emotional that he will get in a fight with an idiot. It is going to be interesting to watch the next 2 years because in reality this is like the preseason for the new class in Leadership since they don't control the House but nothing The GOP does will make it through the Senate. They basically get a free pass as the GOP shoots itself in the foot for 2 years.
        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yes and no. I agree with the bulk of your post, but it's not negligible the knowledge we're losing with people like Pelosi retiring. They know what to give and take or at least have an idea of how to work the system. I don't think you can't take that for granted. I think the fight of the younger generation is needed, but the wisdom to know which hill to die on and which to give up is important. I do think the older generation is a bit too over conservative strategically. So maybe it will be a good change there as well. Time will tell.
          Couldn't it be said though that some Pelosi's knowledge/experience was no longer translatable to the current game being played? Imagine Woody Hayes trying to recruit and coach a college athlete in 2022. You might have already alluded to that and if so I'll stand down... =^P

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Couldn't it be said though that some Pelosi's knowledge/experience was no longer translatable to the current game being played? Imagine Woody Hayes trying to recruit and coach a college athlete in 2022. You might have already alluded to that and if so I'll stand down... =^P
            Absolutely. I think that's valid. I don't know how much of that knowledge isn't applicable but I'd guess not much since she's still kicking *** over the last four years. She outmaneuvered the GOP on the Jan 6th committee with precision, for example.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Ok this pelosi documentary on hbo, done by her daughter or granddaughter I forget- is great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                Ok this pelosi documentary on hbo, done by her daughter or granddaughter I forget- is great.
                Daughter
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  Ok this pelosi documentary on hbo, done by her daughter or granddaughter I forget- is great.
                  Isn't the daughter or granddaughter a highly thought of documentarian independent of this?
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Isn't the daughter or granddaughter a highly thought of documentarian independent of this?
                    I think Alexandra Pelosi is generally thought of positively with respect to her work as a documentary filmmaker. I don't know that her films have necessarily won any awards or universal acclaim or anything like that, but the couple that I've seen (I haven't watched this most recent one, but intend to) are generally interesting.

I've never come away from any of her films thinking about a particular message or anything that the film tries to convey. They always more sort of strike a tone of "here you are, as this happens, and you are a witness."

I guess she's probably most famous for her early film on George Bush's campaign trail, Journey's with George, which I thought was a worthwhile watch. It's assumed she has a left leaning slant, given that Nancy Pelosi is her mother, but I think she has been able to have a good working relationship with many of her subjects on the right, such as George Bush. I think Bush has even stated that he liked her and respected her.

If I'm not mistaken, perhaps some of her more famous film work was of the 1/6 events. I think she was there filming for a movie, and I think some of her footage made it into the Congressional hearings.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Yeah the Jan 6 footage in this new movie is pretty good

Comment

Absolutely. I think that's valid. I don't know how much of that knowledge isn't applicable but I'd guess not much since she's still kicking *** over the last four years. She outmaneuvered the GOP on the Jan 6th committee with precision, for example.
                        I think she completely missed the decades long fight for gerrymandering. Dems didn't start playing for years after the Reps had gone to work. Then when the start to play, they somehow screw up NY.

For this we will be stuck listening to people like Jordan, McCarthy, and the rest of the noisy reps.

So while she occasionally does something nice in the moment, overall she has failed.

Comment

• Originally posted by sagard View Post

I think she completely missed the decades long fight for gerrymandering. Dems didn't start playing for years after the Reps had gone to work. Then when the start to play, they somehow screw up NY.

For this we will be stuck listening to people like Jordan, McCarthy, and the rest of the noisy reps.

So while she occasionally does something nice in the moment, overall she has failed.
                          Nancy Pelosi was in charge of how states draw their borders and their DNC chapters?
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The Dems were not the problem with the NY gerrymandering...
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

The Dems were not the problem with the NY gerrymandering...
                              Nancy Pelosi certainly wasn’t, but Democrats in New York sure were. Completely dropped the ball.

Comment

Upstate NY is really, really corrupt . You get "Dems" who are bribed to caucus with the GOP and don't pay the price next election. And you get leadership from both parties who get popped for crimes.

It's a fun place. Cold Louisiana.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X