Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with the Dem Senators is that they don't properly divide the work along the areas where they are most competent.

You need the technocrats to evaluate the problem and come up with a solution
    you need the lawyers with great staffs write the bill
    you need the cheerleaders to sell the bill to the public
    you need negotiators to sell the bill to the other politicians
    you need a whip who knows where the bodies are buried
    you need the bulldogs to get dirty and conduct oversight

The Dems have a mix of technocrats and Legacy admissions. The latter of which are useless, or maybe they have some value in negotiations. Whatever.

The olds with the biggest budgets should be hiring amazing staffs to write the bills, and spend their own time negotiating and whipping votes. The rest should all be under 60, or better yet, 50. Let the younger legs and minds drive the public facing fights.

The Dems have never built a team. They just got a bunch of legacy hires, people who outlived their opponents, and a few young competent fill ins. They haven't spent more than five minutes in the last 30 years finding the people they need to build a team.

The House seems to have done just fine with that but they have a great leader and a huge bench to pull from. I don't care if it's the DNC or a select group of senators and house leadership, but they need to be grooming people for each of those positions within the senate and selling those people to the public.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I can't figure it. It doesn't make sense to me. The ERA Movement was 50 years ago. Yet, they're still doing what their husbands would want them to do. I have a sister like that. I don't get it.
      Not all of them were part of it or agreed with it, based on how they were raised/brainwashed and how much education they were allowed to receive. You can go back even further to the suffrage movement and you'll find plenty of female opposition to giving women the right to vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
        It creeped me out 20 years ago when my church, very rural Michigan, started a "Men of Grace" committee that was essentially "a woman's place is pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen," as described above.

Funny thing was some of the "very religious" men certainly didn't act that way when not around their wives.

Typical "conservatives" though.
        Any male-exclusive church group is your cue to avoid like the plague. It's like going to the bar with your male friends, except it's worse because they will parrot demeaning crap with a straight face and no liquid courage, then couch it in some cherry-picked quotes from a 2000 year-old book of moral fairytales written in dead languages by cranky, undersexed, xenophobic old men, then further translated into current languages by other cranky, undersexed, xenophobic old men.

At least when you and your bros act like boors at the bar and get 86'd, you're all just acting out your basal male id with the aid of alcohol. That's what we inherited from our ape ancestors, and I'd like to think that most of us were raised better (which is what differentiates us from animals). The problem is that the Abrahamic religions attempt to put a patina of phony, constructed, patriarchal "societal mores" around that id to force it everyone, then place the onus on women to stay sober, dress conservatively, keep their legs closed, and most importantly, never think or live for themselves. Meanwhile, men who break the rules usually get a pass because "boys will be boys".

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I don't think it had anything to do with what people were saying, or not saying. What sunk him was the photo.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...-women/545954/
          Ah yes, the photo. Where he's not actually touching the boobies, which are under clothing and a ****ing flak jacket, while taking part in a USO tour which are, by definition, bawdy events to "rally" the troops.

The only people that photo ****ed off were people looking for a reason to ****can a Democratic senator out of politics.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
            I like Gillibrand too.
            For ****** sake, why?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Not all of them were part of it or agreed with it, based on how they were raised/brainwashed and how much education they were allowed to receive. You can go back even further to the suffrage movement and you'll find plenty of female opposition to giving women the right to vote.
              Proof
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

For ****** sake, why?
                Because she’s a good Senator.

Comment

Because she’s a good Senator.
                  There are like five good Democratic Senators. She's not one of them.

Brown
                  Klobuchar
                  Sanders
                  Duckworth
                  Warren

i could hear arguments for a few more. Gilibrand isn't even in the top twenty.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• There are more than 5...but yeah she is is not close.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I mean, she may not even be in the top 20 and I still think she’s a good Senator. This is still a subjective, right? I’d put Booker on your list for potential top 5. Murphy. Merkley. Markey. Apparently anyone with an M in their last name.

Comment

• Murphy for sure would make my list...Booker I am hit or miss on but that is cause of his being in the pocket of Big Pharma. Merkley is a very good team player as is Markey.

KG is better than Sinema and Manchin...so she has that at least.

(yes a lot of this is subjective)
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Tina smith is certainly a good and perfunctory senator. By no means would I encourage a primary - my point was I think al was great, Tina does exactly what she should.

i don’t have to love my reps, just do your job. But I love when I can love them.

KG is really in bottom 5, even if she does her job most of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Any male-exclusive church group is your cue to avoid like the plague. It's like going to the bar with your male friends, except it's worse because they will parrot demeaning crap with a straight face and no liquid courage, then couch it in some cherry-picked quotes from a 2000 year-old book of moral fairytales written in dead languages by cranky, undersexed, xenophobic old men, then further translated into current languages by other cranky, undersexed, xenophobic old men.

At least when you and your bros act like boors at the bar and get 86'd, you're all just acting out your basal male id with the aid of alcohol. That's what we inherited from our ape ancestors, and I'd like to think that most of us were raised better (which is what differentiates us from animals). The problem is that the Abrahamic religions attempt to put a patina of phony, constructed, patriarchal "societal mores" around that id to force it everyone, then place the onus on women to stay sober, dress conservatively, keep their legs closed, and most importantly, never think or live for themselves. Meanwhile, men who break the rules usually get a pass because "boys will be boys".
                            I can't add anything to this post except my admiration. It's perfect.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Murphy for sure would make my list...Booker I am hit or miss on but that is cause of his being in the pocket of Big Pharma. Merkley is a very good team player as is Markey.

KG is better than Sinema and Manchin...so she has that at least.

(yes a lot of this is subjective)
                              Booker lives in New Jersey. I think his support for, or at least not open rebellion against the pharmaceutical industry is self-preservation, although I can’t say I know the intricacies of New Jersey politics.
                              Team player is important. Definitely not end-all be-all, but important. From the little I know of Markey and Merkley, they go beyond just team player. AOC liked Markey enough to endorse him, and that resonates some with me.
                              Unless Sinema swerves left over the next few years, she’ll stay my least favorite Senator. I rarely want a sitting Democratic Senator to be primaried, but she needs to go, and Feinstein needs to retire or get primaried herself. California and Hawaii should have the most liberal Senators, and Feinstein isn’t it.

Comment

Apparently anyone with an M in their last name.
                                Ahem. "Manchin."

Wyden is good. Maybe a W counts as an M with a different orientation.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X