Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by psych View Post

Nancy Pelosi certainly wasn’t, but Democrats in New York sure were. Completely dropped the ball.
    Why they gerrymandered it the courts got in the way. The Dems who ran also sucked but that is a different issue.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by sagard View Post

I think she completely missed the decades long fight for gerrymandering. Dems didn't start playing for years after the Reps had gone to work. Then when the start to play, they somehow screw up NY.
    Upstate NY is really, really corrupt . You get "Dems" who are bribed to caucus with the GOP and don't pay the price next election. And you get leadership from both parties who get popped for crimes.

It's a fun place. Cold Louisiana.

Leave a comment:

• psych
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post

The Dems were not the problem with the NY gerrymandering...
    Nancy Pelosi certainly wasn’t, but Democrats in New York sure were. Completely dropped the ball.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

I think she completely missed the decades long fight for gerrymandering. Dems didn't start playing for years after the Reps had gone to work. Then when the start to play, they somehow screw up NY.

For this we will be stuck listening to people like Jordan, McCarthy, and the rest of the noisy reps.

So while she occasionally does something nice in the moment, overall she has failed.
    The Dems were not the problem with the NY gerrymandering...

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

For this we will be stuck listening to people like Jordan, McCarthy, and the rest of the noisy reps.

So while she occasionally does something nice in the moment, overall she has failed.
    Nancy Pelosi was in charge of how states draw their borders and their DNC chapters?

Leave a comment:

• sagard
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Absolutely. I think that's valid. I don't know how much of that knowledge isn't applicable but I'd guess not much since she's still kicking *** over the last four years. She outmaneuvered the GOP on the Jan 6th committee with precision, for example.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Yeah the Jan 6 footage in this new movie is pretty good

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Isn't the daughter or granddaughter a highly thought of documentarian independent of this?
    I think Alexandra Pelosi is generally thought of positively with respect to her work as a documentary filmmaker. I don't know that her films have necessarily won any awards or universal acclaim or anything like that, but the couple that I've seen (I haven't watched this most recent one, but intend to) are generally interesting.

I've never come away from any of her films thinking about a particular message or anything that the film tries to convey. They always more sort of strike a tone of "here you are, as this happens, and you are a witness."

I guess she's probably most famous for her early film on George Bush's campaign trail, Journey's with George, which I thought was a worthwhile watch. It's assumed she has a left leaning slant, given that Nancy Pelosi is her mother, but I think she has been able to have a good working relationship with many of her subjects on the right, such as George Bush. I think Bush has even stated that he liked her and respected her.

If I'm not mistaken, perhaps some of her more famous film work was of the 1/6 events. I think she was there filming for a movie, and I think some of her footage made it into the Congressional hearings.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Ok this pelosi documentary on hbo, done by her daughter or granddaughter I forget- is great.
    Isn't the daughter or granddaughter a highly thought of documentarian independent of this?

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Ok this pelosi documentary on hbo, done by her daughter or granddaughter I forget- is great.
    Daughter

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Couldn't it be said though that some Pelosi's knowledge/experience was no longer translatable to the current game being played? Imagine Woody Hayes trying to recruit and coach a college athlete in 2022. You might have already alluded to that and if so I'll stand down... =^P
    Absolutely. I think that's valid. I don't know how much of that knowledge isn't applicable but I'd guess not much since she's still kicking *** over the last four years. She outmaneuvered the GOP on the Jan 6th committee with precision, for example.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Yes and no. I agree with the bulk of your post, but it's not negligible the knowledge we're losing with people like Pelosi retiring. They know what to give and take or at least have an idea of how to work the system. I don't think you can't take that for granted. I think the fight of the younger generation is needed, but the wisdom to know which hill to die on and which to give up is important. I do think the older generation is a bit too over conservative strategically. So maybe it will be a good change there as well. Time will tell.
    Couldn't it be said though that some Pelosi's knowledge/experience was no longer translatable to the current game being played? Imagine Woody Hayes trying to recruit and coach a college athlete in 2022. You might have already alluded to that and if so I'll stand down... =^P

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Yes and no. I agree with the bulk of your post, but it's not negligible the knowledge we're losing with people like Pelosi retiring. They know what to give and take or at least have an idea of how to work the system. I don't think you can't take that for granted. I think the fight of the younger generation is needed, but the wisdom to know which hill to die on and which to give up is important. I do think the older generation is a bit too over conservative strategically. So maybe it will be a good change there as well. Time will tell.
    I think that is why Jeffries is the guy people want leading the party. He is the guy both sides of the Dem Party seem to respect and he isn't so overly emotional that he will get in a fight with an idiot. It is going to be interesting to watch the next 2 years because in reality this is like the preseason for the new class in Leadership since they don't control the House but nothing The GOP does will make it through the Senate. They basically get a free pass as the GOP shoots itself in the foot for 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Nope. I literally said that :-)
    I guess I misread it...blame it on my students as I am grading their "work" ;^)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X