Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

    Why can’t we do both? I think the need is so much greater than we are led to believe and it’s not going to get easier or cheaper going forward.

    Maybe this shouldn’t be the case other places but around Boston I would love to see the gas tax subsidize public transportation which would absolutely be a benefit to those not as well off.
    Tell you what.

    When we start taxing the 1% at a rate they should be, when the minimum wage is at a rate it should be, when the social safety net programs are funded at the rate they should be, so the income and opportunity inequality gap shrinks to something more reasonable, then we can start talking about maybe increasing the gas tax.

    Deal?
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post

      I'm not a rural white; I live in an urban area. I work retail (6 days a week) and drive for Door Dash/Uber Eats as secondary work. A gas tax will punish your food delivery driver and your Shipt/Instacart person. And we're already struggling as it is with demand for our services declining.
      Not to mention the price increases for goods that are shipped via our highway system.

      Meaning.......everything.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

      Comment


      • There's no way Dems are gonna raise the gas tax when it's now back over $3/gal. The disingenuous shrieking from Republicans about gas prices under Dump vs. Biden that has been going on for the past month would become an absolute field day. Never mind it's a sign that demand is up and the economy is poised for a boom cycle as the last of the COVID restrictions are lifted and people are ready for a long, hot summer of iniquity.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          Going forward a gas tax to fund highways won't work. More and more usage of roadways will be by electric vehicles. How do we keep the roadways sound when the gas tax, even if increased, will produce less funding due to fewer ICE vehicles.
          Tax the fucking 1%.

          Its not rocket surgery. Willie Sutton said it almost 100 years ago in response to the question, " why do you rob banks?"

          Cause that's where the money is.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

          Comment


          • EVs are still less than 2% of the motor vehicle market share. A use tax based on annual miles driven will eventually be needed for electric vehicles, and will probably become a serious political issue once we start getting into the 10-15% range. Maybe 2035-ish?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by rufus View Post

              Tell you what.

              When we start taxing the 1% at a rate they should be, when the minimum wage is at a rate it should be, when the social safety net programs are funded at the rate they should be, so the income and opportunity inequality gap shrinks to something more reasonable, then we can start talking about maybe increasing the gas tax.

              Deal?
              Would love that to happen. Just see it not happening and our infrastructure to continue going down the ****ter.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

                Would love that to happen. Just see it not happening and our infrastructure to continue going down the ****ter.
                So, just easier to put it all on the poor. I mean, who's gonna complain, except for the poor, and who represents them anyway?
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  EVs are still less than 2% of the motor vehicle market share. A use tax based on annual miles driven will eventually be needed for electric vehicles, and will probably become a serious political issue once we start getting into the 10-15% range. Maybe 2035-ish?
                  It'll be curious to see how that would work. Especially for drivers who cross state lines frequently. Or infrequently for that matter. I suppose it would be no different than income taxes. Report how much time you spent in the various states just like income.

                  Eh. We've got time
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    EVs ... will probably become a serious political issue once we start getting into the 10-15% range. Maybe 2035-ish?
                    10% of cars on the road being EVs. <-- Can I get $20 on the under of 2035?

                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                    North Dakota Hockey:

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by rufus View Post

                      So, just easier to put it all on the poor. I mean, who's gonna complain, except for the poor, and who represents them anyway?
                      As a retail/service person with grad student loans... a bunch of are going to skip complaining and go straight to the revolution part.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

                        10% of cars on the road being EVs. <-- Can I get $20 on the under of 2035?
                        You may be right on that point. When I bought a new car last year, I thought at the time it might very well be my last gas-powered vehicle purchase.

                        Comment


                        • Ending partisan gerrymandering would be huge. I’m sure Abrams would cede a lot more than just voter ID to make that happen. But, in the meantime, Democrats will give up the goods without question. I’m just certain Republicans will do the same.

                          https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ng-wars-495303

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

                            You may be right on that point. When I bought a new car last year, I thought at the time it might very well be my last gas-powered vehicle purchase.
                            Wait what? This doesn't match what he posted, does it?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                              Wait what? This doesn't match what he posted, does it?
                              Well unless I am reading it wrong Fade's comment seems to track with the idea that we will hit that percentage earlier than 2035 which is exactly what Sicatoka is betting when he bets the "under".

                              FWIW I would HAMMER the under. Hell I got like 5 Tesla's in my neighborhood alone and we are not a very affluent suburb. (we might have a couple Volts too) Hell if COVID hadn't hit I was well on my way to purchasing one this year and I aint exactly chilling in Edina ;^) The cost is dropping and barring long road trips I don't need massive mileage capacity anyways. Even the "cheap" end Tesla's have more than enough battery capacity for me.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

                              "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

                              Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

                                Why can’t we do both?
                                Because it's how you destroy consensus.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X