X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Ah, got it.

I'm sure in 5-10 years they'll be insisting that the team be exclusively Catholic boys from the suburbs but for now they're understanding.

(St. Louis has a rather long soccer history)
    I knew about the 1904 Olympics. Reading up on it again, what I didn't know was that there were human zoo "exhibits" at the Games in conjunction with the World's Fair. That was a downer.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Also, inexplicably, the #2 city in America for chess, by a large margin.
      That's because of a very, very rich benefactor (also a huge Trump supporter) who has setup a special academy/school for the best young chess players in the country. Including trying to "buy" foreign child prodigies and making them American citizens. All in the quest for the next American world champion.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Not even two weeks into the MLS Season and I’m already missing Grant Wahl, because JFC are most of the other soccer reporters in this country a bunch of hacks.

Fresh off the launch of the deal with Apple and MLS Season Pass and the largely positive reception, was reporting by The Athletic that the deal with Apple “reportedly” has an out clause, so naturally everyone should ZOMG PANIC and how terrible is MLS that there would be an out clause? Because business deals never have an out clause…

This is of course the same The Athletic who has admitted that they spent the previous year intentionally running stories about lower than expected offers by the TV networks (re: they were actively colluding with the networks to help lower the price) because they wanted the league to get a lower TV deal so “the owners would be forced to invest”. They were then completely blindsided by the Apple deal despite being MLS focused (and were scooped by a traditional sports journalist).

It’s one thing to keep the BS from the league in check. It’s a whole different story to be actively trying to sabotage the league.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

That's because of a very, very rich benefactor (also a huge Trump supporter) who has setup a special academy/school for the best young chess players in the country. Including trying to "buy" foreign child prodigies and making them American citizens. All in the quest for the next American world champion.
          An American Kalmykia.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

I knew about the 1904 Olympics. Reading up on it again, what I didn't know was that there were human zoo "exhibits" at the Games in conjunction with the World's Fair. That was a downer.
            We're only a hundred years plus a few from when that was not just acceptable but laudable.

I know it doesn't feel like it, but we actually did come a long way in the 20th century.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• US Soccer and FIFA must face Antitrust lawsuit.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in the lawsuit by Relevent Sports, controlled by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, after the USSF refused to sanction a league match between Ecuador's Barcelona and Guayaquil in Miami.
              Because why ruin leagues in multiple countries when you can also ruin the chance for your own stadium to host World Cup matches!
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Austin FC lost 3-0 to Haitian team Violette AC in the CONCACAF Champions League.

I mean, there's always one MLS team that just embarrasses the league but this might be a new low.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• CONCACAF Champions League everyone!
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

It astounds me that these countries can even field professional teams that are able to keep it respectable with the US or Mexico, let alone compete with them as Philly just drew 0-0 on the road.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

It astounds me that these countries can even field professional teams that are able to keep it respectable with the US or Mexico, let alone compete with them as Philly just drew 0-0 on the road.
                      1. Playing at home really helps (For perspective Seattle, the defending champs, only went scoreless in one game and that was in Honduras).

2. The depth of MLS rosters, even top teams like Philly, is typically not great (though it has gotten remarkably better over the years).

3. Like the vast majority of leagues, the top talent coalesces around one or two teams. Alianza have 17 El Salvadorian titles.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

3. Like the vast majority of leagues, the top talent coalesces around one or two teams. Alianza have 17 El Salvadorian titles.
                        To put in perspective here's this years Central American CCL teams:

Alianza (El Salvador): 17 titles, 11 times runner up
                        Olimpia (Honduras): 34 titles, 17 times runner up
                        Real Espana (Honduras): 12 titles, 10 times runner up
                        Motagua (Honduras): 18 titles,14 times runner up
                        Alajuelense (Costa Rica): 30 titles, 24 times runner up
                        Tauro (Panama): 16 titles, 8 times runner up

In Mexico Club America holds the record with 13 titles, in MLS it's the LA Galaxy with 5.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

in MLS it's the LA Galaxy with 5.
                          Isn't that also the difference between being around for 30 years versus 90?
                          Cornell University

Comment

Isn't that also the difference between being around for 30 years versus 90?
                            It’s closer to 50, Honduras and El Salvador didn’t start their leagues until the late 60’s. Only Costa Rica has had one for longer, 102 years (which is older than the Bundesliga). It’s skewed by the fact that they actually run split seasons and have two championships a year, but so does Mexico and no one dominates like say Olimpia or Saprissa in Costa Rica.

In the time of MLS (since 1996), Olimpia has won 22 titles, Alianza has 12, and Alajuelense has 12. Both the Galaxy and Club America have 5.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

It’s closer to 50, Honduras and El Salvador didn’t start their leagues until the late 60’s. Only Costa Rica has had one for longer, 102 years (which is older than the Bundesliga). It’s skewed by the fact that they actually run split seasons and have two championships a year, but so does Mexico and no one dominates like say Olimpia or Saprissa in Costa Rica.

In the time of MLS (since 1996), Olimpia has won 22 titles, Alianza has 12, and Alajuelense has 12. Both the Galaxy and Club America have 5.
                              I agree with the broader point that the American model doesn't break down into the Tyranny of the Top Two. I've always loathed that in swarthy countries' football. It must have something to do with anti-democratic governments and lack of education: Central America, the Mediterranean, Texas.

Hot people are just sh-tty at equality.

Last edited by Kepler; 03-08-2023, 10:07 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

I agree with the broader point that the American model doesn't break down into the Tyranny of the Top Two. I've always loathed that in swarthy countries' football. It must have something to do with anti-democratic governments and lack of education: Central America, the Mediterranean, Texas.
                                I mean, the most egregious example is actually Germany: Bayern Munich has 31 titles out of 58 total (and it’ll likely be 32 out of 59). Yet, the Germans will defend their system to the death.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X