This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    As someone without an MLS team I probably won't be subscribing, but checking out the free weekend I gotta say this is a very clean graphics package and the presentation is great. For now I'll still be sticking with the Premier League mornings and late night Liga MX.

This is an innovative choice by MLS, but I wonder what it'll do for growth of the league. They're now just showing one a game a week outside of Apple. This certainly isn't something new in the world, as stuff like F1 is subscriber only in some European countries, and ESPN is holding basically every other soccer league in the world behind the ESPN+ paywall, but if there's one thing that all of America gripes about it's paywalls for sports content. On the other hand, with Bally going into bankruptcy and now AT&T wanting out, MLS may just be ahead of the game here on the non-NFL leagues.
    I'm not worried about growth because Apple has done more promoting the league in a week than ESPN or Fox did for 25+ years.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

You just pay for the internet. You lose the bundled price but you save on not paying for the cable tv part. You should be able to get reasonable internet in most metro areas for between $60-$100/month, possibly cheaper if you bundle a phone with it (which I would assume you would if you're verizon customers). I pay $75/month plus taxes and fees for 500 mb internet service with no bundling. It'd be about $60/month for 100 mb speeds.

If you're going to be streaming video regularly, especially if you and the dr. mrs. do so simultaneously, you'll want a speed of 100 mb minimum.
      Thanks.

Right now I pay, monthly:
      • $210 Verizon Wireless. This is just phone, right, it won't change?
      • $254 Verizon Fios. This is for cable and internet.
      • Whatever I pay for streaming services, and however I pay for them (I'm not sure. How am I paying for Netflix for example?)

So, if I kill cable, I still have internet. I lose everything I use my cable box for, but everything I use my Roku box upstairs for and my smart TV downstairs, I keep. You think I'll save $150/month for that? That sounds... good.

The only thing I use cable for are TCM (all the time), some crap tv I'll bet I can get through streaming services, and sports events that are blocked on internet.

According to the internet:

Can I watch Turner Classic Movies on my computer?

Yes. Subscribers to Sling TV, DIRECTV STREAM, YouTube TV, and Hulu Live TV can watch TCM from a web browser on a PC, laptop or Mac computer.
      OK, so I have Hulu and YouTube on streaming. So presumably that means I can already watch TCM by bringing it up on my computer and then casting to my smart TV? Is that right?

I guess before cord cutting I can just try everything via streaming and see that it all works.

I am highly attracted to the idea of starving the Fox Nazis f my basic cable fee.
      Last edited by Kepler; 02-25-2023, 06:03 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Is MLS working for other folks? I went to the AppleTV app on my iPhone and none of the games show up.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Thanks.

Right now I pay, monthly:
          • $210 Verizon Wireless. This is just phone, right, it won't change?
          • $254 Verizon Fios. This is for cable and internet.
          • Whatever I pay for streaming services, and however I pay for them (I'm not sure. How am I paying for Netflix for example?)

So, if I kill cable, I still have internet. I lose everything I use my cable box for, but everything I use my Roku box upstairs for and my smart TV downstairs, I keep. You think I'll save $150/month for that? That sounds... good.

The only thing I use cable for are TCM (all the time), some crap tv I'll bet I can get through streaming services, and sports events that are blocked on internet.

According to the internet:

OK, so I have Hulu and YouTube on streaming. So presumably that means I can already watch TCM by bringing it up on my computer and then casting to my smart TV? Is that right?

I guess before cord cutting I can just try everything via streaming and see that it all works.

I am highly attracted to the idea of starving the Fox Nazis f my basic cable fee.
          Yeah, the wireless bill would be your cellphones (hopefully that's for more than 2 lines and you have a kid or two on there still. If it's just you and Dr. Mrs., $210 for two lines seems a bit high. Though I know Verizon is able to charge a premium because they honestly do have the biggest and best network in the country).

Fios would be your cable and internet (and landline, if you have one). Without knowing details, I would assume probably $150 of that is cable, easy.

Re: TCM. when they talk about Youtube TV or Hulu Live TV, those are their equivalent of cable subscriptions. So not the $10/month regular Hulu subscription that gets you access to their normal shows and day after broadcast streaming or the free YouTube streaming.

Netflix presumably you pay for separately, though some cable companies will bundle a subscription into their package. So it's possible you're paying indirectly through Verizon. It's easy enough to sign up on your own, though.

Comment

• TCM is on HBO Max
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              TCM is on HBO Max
              I thought that was just their collection, not their station. But yes, that will work, I can do my own programming.

I'm going to have to learn how to do real searches, though. Being mediated in any way by their interfaces makes me want to dynamite their offices. I do not need their short bus "suggestions." I just want full access to the db with some sql command line. I will be fine.

Last edited by Kepler; 02-25-2023, 07:43 PM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• MLS 360 needs some work (why they ads?) but it's got potential, especially after some of the endings today.
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Couple of news notes:

Seattle beat Colorado last night 4-0. That’s not huge news but I wanted y’all to know.

US U17s lost to Mexico in the final of the CONCACAF U17 so no clean sweep of the CONCACAF titles for the US. Boo.

Jurgen Klinsmann has been hired as the manager of South Korea.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    Jurgen Klinsmann has been hired as the manager of South Korea.
                    I wonder how many German-Korean players there are out there...? LOL
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I wonder how many German-Korean players there are out there...? LOL
                      I can’t wait until he trashes the K League only to find out the teams are owned by the massive Korean conglomerates…
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Meanwhile, in Canada.

Canada Soccer president Nick Bontis agreed to resign his position Monday, hours after the 13 presidents of Canada’s provincial and territorial soccer federations, a group known collectively as the Presidents’ Forum, sent a letter requesting his resignation.
                        I learned a few interesting things about Canada Soccer while I was at Arctic Winter Games. Needless to say, things aren’t that bad with the USSF.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• "I acknowledge this moment requires change" is carrying so much weight it should be wearing a truss.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            "I acknowledge this moment requires change" is carrying so much weight it should be wearing a truss.
                            Well, “I now have a position at CONCACAF so I can skim money from them instead of you suckers” doesn’t carry the same weight.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• It’s funny seeing a lot of MLS/US Soccer writers heaping praise on MLS and Apple after they spent the last six months predicting doom and gloom. And the twelve months before that working with the TV networks trying to sabotage the league’s efforts at a deal.

Objective soccer journalism in this country died with Grant Wahl.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• FA Cup quarterfinal draw was today. Have to scroll down a bit for the draw and just a tad more for the 5th round results.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/fa-c...ac01c640e8a668

A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Working...
                                X