World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I felt bad for Blake. Best goalie in the league, arguably the second best in CONCACAF, makes a save and his teammates can’t even score one.

That game was a perfect encapsulation of MLS though: Not as skillful but absolutely entertaining.
    I remember him standing on his head against Mexico in maybe the 2017 Gold Cup? It was the same year that he got hurt in the final against us. Would have been interesting to see how we would have faired had Blake remained in the game.

In any event, I completely agree with your MLS assessment. If you want to be entertained by a soccer game, you probably can't find a better bang for your buck. If you need absolute perfection in skill...well...you're looking in the wrong spot (although, perception is worse than reality when it comes to skill in the MLS...it's a pretty good league).
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I remember him standing on his head against Mexico in maybe the 2017 Gold Cup? It was the same year that he got hurt in the final against us. Would have been interesting to see how we would have faired had Blake remained in the game.

In any event, I completely agree with your MLS assessment. If you want to be entertained by a soccer game, you probably can't find a better bang for your buck. If you need absolute perfection in skill...well...you're looking in the wrong spot (although, perception is worse than reality when it comes to skill in the MLS...it's a pretty good league).
      That game was basically a Stefon sketch in that it had everything (6 goals, red card, extra time, late goals, a shootout, Dan Cortez).

I do think MLS gets a bad rap on it’s skill level, especially compared to where it was even 10 years ago. Every referee that I’ve ever met that has done an MLS game has said the same thing: “I spent most of the game concentrating so I could keep up with the speed.” (Check out their training video.) Guys are hitting passes at speeds that would be shots to most of us. Guys are hitting 60 yard switches (side to side passes) on a dime and their teammate are trapping them like it’s nothing.

Is it Champions League level stuff? No. Is it entertaining and unpredictable? Heck yeah.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Sepp Blatter admits awarding the WC to Qatar was a mistake. What a POS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Sepp Blatter admits awarding the WC to Qatar was a mistake. What a POS.
          Did the check bounce?
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Did the check bounce?
            Not defending Blatter but, 2022 being awarded to Qatar is more on Michel Platini and Nicolas Sarkozy. Sarkozy pressured Platini to vote for Qatar and, somehow, the next day it was announced Qatar Sports International was buying PSG. There’s also some shady deals involving fighter jets and the management of the hotels in Qatar (via Accor).
            Last edited by Jimjamesak; 11-08-2022, 09:27 PM.
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• The good news: MLS Cup 2022 was the highest rated since 1997.

The bad news: It was between two large market teams in LA and Philly meaning there will be ****ery in the future.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Apparently for $200/night you can sleep in an outfitted shipping container as a fan in Qatar...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  Apparently for $200/night you can sleep in an outfitted shipping container as a fan in Qatar...
                  AC sold as fee for service. Surge rates apply.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Since they are shipping containers, I am also curious as to what the bathroom accommodations are since there is no integrated plumbing.

RV style accommodations can be made, but they need regular servicing...

Comment

• US Roster
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Notes:

Second youngest US roster at 25 years, 175 days.

DeAndre Yedlin is the only player to have previously played at a World Cup.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          Notes:

Second youngest US roster at 25 years, 175 days.

DeAndre Yedlin is the only player to have previously played at a World Cup.
                          We get it, we are going to suck.
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• With this team it's hard to have any expectations...

As always I want to make it out of the group, but I feel that is gonna be a big ask this time around.

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

We get it, we are going to suck.
                              Or it's a roster of hungry guys untainted by prior failure.

USA! USA!
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                With this team it's hard to have any expectations...

As always I want to make it out of the group, but I feel that is gonna be a big ask this time around.
                                I think they’ll surprise some people. A lot of them (Pulisic especially) seem to perform better with the spotlight on.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X