This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The US has the best female soccer player development system in the world*, we have hundreds of elite level players going through the NCAA system, why wouldn’t you want to poach players out of it? Well, in Mexico’s case it’s racism and stubborn pride.

A good example is the Philippines who qualified for their first World Cup: Their roster is largely American born Filipinas playing college soccer or recent graduates, the majority of them born and raised in California. And they finished fourth in Asia behind Japan, China, and S. Korea.

*Obscene amounts of money required to participate.
    It helps the Philippines that North Korea withdrew.

Between bans, COVID, and an unfortunate draw/format in qualification, it’ll now be at least 13 years in 2024 before they return to one of the major tournaments.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Watching the Women’s Euros I’m not really seeing any stand out teams in comparison to the USWNT except for maybe Spain.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Viva Las Filipinas!

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Viva Las Filipinas!
          I want them to win a game so all my Filipino coworkers will erupt in a fury of pride not seen since a Pacquiao fight.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Watching the Women’s Euros I’m not really seeing any stand out teams in comparison to the USWNT except for maybe Spain.
            Caught the 2nd half of the Germany/Denmark match today. Don't really know too much about either side but Germany won.
            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• USWNT escape Mexico 1-0 with a goal in the 89th. Mexico played with 10 for the final 15 minutes.

Meanwhile over in Euros, England destroyed 11th ranked Norway 8-0.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Also, annoyed at CBS putting it on Paramount+. It’s summer, they don’t have any baseball or MLS contracts, CBSSN has nothing else to show at 10 on a Monday in July, just show the game on regular cable.

To compound it, they’re showing the semifinals on Thursday on CBSSN before optioning the 3rd/final on Monday to Paramount+.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Women's Euros Germany/Spain @ 3.

Comment

• Looking at the standings and Group C currently has third place between Sweden and Netherlands decided by the very last tiebreaker of UEFA coefficient. So if all else is tied, UEFA decided to just let the better team through? That doesn’t seem fair. Prior performance shouldn’t have any bearing on the current tournament. That advantage already occurred during the group drawing when teams were seeded into pots and the better team was already slotted to face worse opponents. If you’re at the point where even sportsmanship ratings are tied, it should just be a drawing of lots.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• It’ll be US and Canada for the CONCACAF W Championship next Monday. Costa Rica and Jamaica in the third place game.

I like what CONCACAF did to make the third place game relevant. With two bids to the Olympics, rather than give the bids to the finalists, the winner of the W championship earns one bid, while the 2nd place team will host the winner of the third place game in a one game playoff to decide the second bid.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        It’ll be US and Canada for the CONCACAF W Championship next Monday. Costa Rica and Jamaica in the third place game.

I like what CONCACAF did to make the third place game relevant. With two bids to the Olympics, rather than give the bids to the finalists, the winner of the W championship earns one bid, while the 2nd place team will host the winner of the third place game in a one game playoff to decide the second bid.
                        That is good. Because Consies suck.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          It’ll be US and Canada for the CONCACAF W Championship next Monday. Costa Rica and Jamaica in the third place game.

It's a lot better than making the semifinals a win and in.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                            Women's Euros Germany/Spain @ 3.
                            Loved the game.
                            German team is really good.
                            Happy i found this list of channels before it https://www.firesticktricks.com/free...ing-sites.html and was able to enjoy the game in a good quality. Saved it already for the next big tournaments.
                            Last edited by anygreen; 08-08-2022, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Interesting possibility in Group C that probably has little chance of happening.

If Switzerland beats Netherlands 2-1 and Portugal beats Sweden 1-0, all teams end up tied at four points.

All teams would also have a goal differential of 0.

Netherlands, Portugal, and Switzerland would have 5 goals scored. Sweden would only have three so they'd be eliminated at this point. The tiebreak would then restart with Netherlands, Portugal, and Switzerland in games involving those teams.

Netherlands would have lost to Portugal and Switzerland, so they'd be eliminated. Then the tiebreak would come down to Portugal and Switzerland.

Portugal and Switzerland tied each other in game 1, so the tiebreak would go all the way down to step 8 for disciplinary points. If they happen to be tied on that, they'd go to higher UEFA coefficient, which I can't seem to find one for national teams, but if it's the club coefficient so some reason, Portugal would advance ranked 17th vs 18th against Switzerland.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• 2 quarterfinal matches are set for Wed & Thur. 2 matches today and tomorrow round out the other 2.

https://www.uefa.com/womenseuro/news...to-go-through/

Comment

Working...
                                X