This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

So any news on how they are going to put grass over carpet? It's been done before. even indoors.

And that kind of puts the Women's WC that was in Canada on carpet into perspective.....
    Yeah, it’s one of the things that has to be dealt with. For Seattle I know there’s a push to replace the turf with a hybrid grass system like in other places. BC Place will definitely have to figure out something similar and inevitably lead to hilarious coverage of why they didn’t in 2015.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That's dumb.

LA is ground zero for soccer (after Portland) in the US. In NYC, soccer is what you might do if you can't get a date and you get wait listed for the off-off-off Broadway revival of No No Nanette.

Play it on Peter Ueberroth's dead carcass. Have some respect.
      I mean, I agree with you. I’d rather have it at the Rose Bowl just to spite Mexico and Azteca.

But it seems the bid committee and FIFA have their minds set upon the Big Apple. NYC is easier for the European audiences.

TBF, New York does have its own soccer history that is arguably larger than LA, mostly based around immigrant populations. New York does have the most US Open Cup champions at 26 compared to California’s 15 (and a few of those clubs still exist today).
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        I mean, I agree with you. I’d rather have it at the Rose Bowl just to spite Mexico and Azteca.
        I was actually thinking have it in LA so 98% of the stadium can be Mexicans who actually understand and care about the game. \_(ツ)_/
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

TBF, New York does have its own soccer history that is arguably larger than LA, mostly based around immigrant populations.
          I did know that the first US championships in the 1900s and 1910s came from ethnic NYC clubs like Greeks and Italians.

But everything* cultural in America began in NYC. That doesn't mean it was perfected there (e.g., punk in LA).

* Except the blues
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I was actually thinking have it in LA so 98% of the stadium can be Mexicans who actually understand and care about the game. \_(ツ)_/
            I mean, you’re not entirely wrong.

Mexicans love lording the history of Azteca over, well pretty much everyone. It’s the stadium where Pele and Maradona won World Cups. It’s the only stadium to host two World Cup Finals. It’ll be the only stadium to be part of three World Cups.

Using the Rose Bowl to diminish a bit of that history is the type of petty I like.
            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Using the Rose Bowl to diminish a bit of that history is the type of petty I like.
              LOL. There's the Jim I like! :-)
              Cornell University

Comment

I’m guessing there’s going to be pods, FIFA has them listed as East, Central, and West.

So my predictions for the final rounds:

Quarterfinals
                Seattle
                San Fran
                Atlanta
                either Foxborough or Philly (whoever doesn’t get it will be the third place game)

Semifinals
                Dallas
                LA

Final
                New York
                No QF or SF in Canada or Mexico?

Where's the 3rd place game?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

No QF or SF in Canada or Mexico?

Where's the 3rd place game?
                  No games in Canada or Mexico past the Round of 16.

Also, read better next time. ;-)
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Final score from the CONCACAF U-20 Championship:

USA - 10, St. Kitts and Nevis - 0
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Final score from the CONCACAF U-20 Championship:

USA - 10, St. Kitts and Nevis - 0
                      And in the other game in the group, Cuba - 1, Canada - 0.

Big oof for Canada.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Apparently US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis - which was promised to be built large enough to accommodate international soccer games - is in fact NOT large enough to do so.

Assuming Allianz Field doesn't have enough seats it explains to why MN didn't even bid.

Comment

• IIRC, some sideline and end zone seats are going to have to be removed at Gillette.
                          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

I mean, you’re not entirely wrong.

Mexicans love lording the history of Azteca over, well pretty much everyone. It’s the stadium where Pele and Maradona won World Cups. It’s the only stadium to host two World Cup Finals. It’ll be the only stadium to be part of three World Cups.

I always forget that the 1950 World Cup didn't have a Final.

Of the 5 countries that have hosted the World Cup twice (Mexico, Italy, France, Germany, and Brazil), Mexico and Brazil are the only ones not to have won the World Cup at least once (Mexico, of course, has never even reached the Semifinals, let alone win the World Cup). The US will likely be added to this list following 2026...although I would love to be proven wrong.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I always forget that the 1950 World Cup didn't have a Final.

Of the 5 countries that have hosted the World Cup twice (Mexico, Italy, France, Germany, and Brazil), Mexico and Brazil are the only ones not to have won the World Cup at least once (Mexico, of course, has never even reached the Semifinals, let alone win the World Cup). The US will likely be added to this list following 2026...although I would love to be proven wrong.
                              Won it while host? Because Brazil has definitely won a few…
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Won it while host? Because Brazil has definitely won a few…
                                Yes, while host was what I meant. I must have edited that part out before posting. Thanks for catching that.

Brazil and Mexico: 0 for 2.
                                Italy: 1 for 2 (1934)
                                Germany: 1 for 2 (1974)
                                France: 1 for 2 (1998)
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X