This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    I watched. It was actually 10v10 when the US scored, and yes, the pitch was laughably miserable. El Salvador created almost no chances; on their goal, our backup keeper played the pass instead of the shot and left the near post wide open for the direct strike. I’m pretty sure he ended the match with zero saves.
    I don’t know what Horvath was doing on that shot but it certainly was bad.

The Arriola red card was weird, it was certainly justifiable but it was also one that some places would want a yellow.

On another note, I’m curious to what all of you think about the MLS/Apple deal? A lot of strong feelings on other forums.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• It sounds exactly like the type of deal that MLB fans have been clamoring for, but will not get for the foreseeable future. MLB has been going the opposite way of this deal, with smaller national contracts and bigger regional contracts. This while people are dropping cable or in particular, regional networks are getting in spats with cable companies and dropping service, leaving fans with access to essentially zero games for their in-market team.

Have they come out with a price point for this? It’s a dream service feature-wise (though I imagine some will miss their hometown announcing crew), but I know the issue if MLB ever went this route would be recouping local tv fees, making the price astronomical. It’s a risky move, but it sounds like MLS is doing this at a time when it won’t be a killer to clubs to drop existing local contracts and have to make up that tv money with an insane stream price. The downsides I see are 1) taking away the passive local audience you would be able to bring in and turn into a fanatic and 2) making the price point too high where the fanatics decide they’re more soccer fans than MLS fans and it’s better to stick with Peacock, CBSAA, and/or ESPN+ and just watch international leagues to get their football fix.

I’ll say good on them for trying it. It’s a pioneering move to see a consolidation in rights. To compare it to MLB again, just this season they went exclusive with Apple and Peacock for select games, so now I think to watch every game of your team you’d need the local RSN, ESPN, Fox, FS1, TBS and MLBN through cable and then Apple and Peacock through streaming. Plus Youtube, but that’s free assuming you have fast enough internet, and if you don’t you aren’t getting Apple or Peacock anyway. Even if you’re out of market for MLBTV, you still get blacked out for national games, so MLS is even covering for that scenario.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        It sounds exactly like the type of deal that MLB fans have been clamoring for, but will not get for the foreseeable future. MLB has been going the opposite way of this deal, with smaller national contracts and bigger regional contracts. This while people are dropping cable or in particular, regional networks are getting in spats with cable companies and dropping service, leaving fans with access to essentially zero games for their in-market team.

Have they come out with a price point for this? It’s a dream service feature-wise (though I imagine some will miss their hometown announcing crew), but I know the issue if MLB ever went this route would be recouping local tv fees, making the price astronomical. It’s a risky move, but it sounds like MLS is doing this at a time when it won’t be a killer to clubs to drop existing local contracts and have to make up that tv money with an insane stream price. The downsides I see are 1) taking away the passive local audience you would be able to bring in and turn into a fanatic and 2) making the price point too high where the fanatics decide they’re more soccer fans than MLS fans and it’s better to stick with Peacock, CBSAA, and/or ESPN+ and just watch international leagues to get their football fix.

I’ll say good on them for trying it. It’s a pioneering move to see a consolidation in rights. To compare it to MLB again, just this season they went exclusive with Apple and Peacock for select games, so now I think to watch every game of your team you’d need the local RSN, ESPN, Fox, FS1, TBS and MLBN through cable and then Apple and Peacock through streaming. Plus Youtube, but that’s free assuming you have fast enough internet, and if you don’t you aren’t getting Apple or Peacock anyway. Even if you’re out of market for MLBTV, you still get blacked out for national games, so MLS is even covering for that scenario.
        There hasn't been a price point set from the information that's out and we likely won't have any more info for a few months. I can't imagine it'll be super expensive (especially if they're giving it to season ticket holders for free), I know back when MLS had the non-national games streaming on their website it wasn't very expensive (~$50 for the season).

I know some fanbases were upset about losing local coverage, at least with teams like Seattle were the coverage was good and actually available, but considering there's been 20+ years of local coverage and it hasn't done **** all for the league (the Red Bulls have been on MSG since the beginning in 1996 and their attendance is terrible) I'm not upset to be losing it.

I hope this deal succeeds and it becomes the model going forward so other leagues will follow (looks at NHL).
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Also, I talked about this with some of my baseball fan friends and their immediate thought was "wish MLB could do that".
          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            I hope this deal succeeds and it becomes the model going forward so other leagues will follow (looks at NHL).
            Doesn't the NHL have ESPN+? Doesn't that essentially cover what you are looking for?
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• MLS will likely be a testing ground for this.

With more and more people choosing to forgo "Classic" TV (ie cable) sports will need to adapt, as live sports were basically the last reason to keep a traditional cable package for many.

Personally, its been the one thing I've struggled with since cutting the cable bill when I moved to my new apartment in May 2021.

If MLS can show that "local" revenue isn't effected by the streaming package, I think this is something the bigger leagues will look into.
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Doesn't the NHL have ESPN+? Doesn't that essentially cover what you are looking for?
                Still has blackouts, I’m blacked out of Seattle games even in Alaska.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Not if you live in a state where 3-6 teams claim you as their home market and subject you to blackouts, regardless of whether their games are actually available or not...

If the schedule breaks right, on a given night in April the following will all be blacked out over the whole state of Iowa unless you can pick up the right regional network somewhere:
                  Cardinals
                  Cubs
                  Brewers
                  White Sox
                  Twins
                  Royals
                  Blues
                  Wild
                  Blackhawks
                  Bucks
                  Bulls
                  Timberwolves
                  Last edited by unofan; 06-16-2022, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• I don't care too much other than getting rid of blackouts. They aren't necessary anymore.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      I don't care too much other than getting rid of blackouts. They aren't necessary anymore.
                      Being able to watch the national TV games without having to pay for cable or separate subscription (or having to use an antenna) is nice too.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Being able to watch the national TV games without having to pay for cable or separate subscription (or having to use an antenna) is nice too.
                        We need to be able to watch the local broadcast of national games. National broadcasters are garbage.

This is ESPECIALLY true in the post-season. Nobody wants your trash, ESPN and Fox.

Mets fans watch the best booth in sports for 162 games less a few stolen by nationals, and then we have to sync up our radio broadcast to be able to see video of the post-season.

Your joke about only once per decade here.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

We need to be able to watch the local broadcast of national games. National broadcasters are garbage.

This is ESPECIALLY true in the post-season. Nobody wants your trash, ESPN and Fox.

Mets fans watch the best booth in sports for 162 games less a few stolen by nationals, and then we have to sync up our radio broadcast to be able to see video of the post-season.

Your joke about only once per decade here.
                          For this deal Apple has already said there’ll be separate, selectable audio feeds for teams’ radio broadcast included in the streams.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Still has blackouts, I’m blacked out of Seattle games even in Alaska.
                            True. I just don't see blackouts going away anytime soon with the more established sports, especially baseball where regional contracts are so huge.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Not if you live in a state where 3-6 teams claim you as their home market and subject you to blackouts, regardless of whether their games are actually available or not...

If the schedule breaks right, on a given night in April the following will all be blacked out over the whole state of Iowa unless you can pick up the right regional network somewhere:
                              Cardinals
                              Cubs
                              Brewers
                              White Sox
                              Twins
                              Royals
                              Blues
                              Wild
                              Blackhawks
                              Bucks
                              Bulls
                              Timberwolves
                              Living in Rochester makes it kind of weird.

Because we are considered Buffalo's territory, the Rangers, Islanders, and I assume Devils are blacked out. But since Buffalo does not have a baseball team, we can see the Yankees and Mets.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Per The Athletic

JUST IN — The 2026 men’s World Cup host cities:

⚽ West Coast:
                                Vancouver
                                Seattle
                                San Francisco/Bay Area
                                Los Angeles
                                Guadalajara

⚽ Central:
                                Kansas City
                                Dallas
                                Houston
                                Atlanta
                                Monterrey
                                Mexico City

⚽ East Coast:
                                Toronto
                                Boston
                                Philadelphia
                                Miami
                                New York/New Jersey
                                https://t.co/eGX6bPj1KE
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X