This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm not sure if I'm being imprecise or the misunderstanding is willful but this is the second time somebody has thrown the "99% of NC$$ athletes never go on to be professional athletes" canard which has nothing to do with my point.

My point is the athletes we groom to represent the country are given 1000x the support the athletes of most other countries are, and this dulls my enthusiasm for them. I will root for Rocky over Ivan Drago. Every time an athlete from a country with the GDP of Delaware upsets an American, an angel gets its wings.
    You're just deflecting again from the realities of what life is like for most amateur athletes.

[edit] My "99%" quote was unrelated to this and in reference to holding a similarly "wide net casting" thought towards NCAA athletes and how they're supposedly not real students. Most are in fact real students - don't let the prima donnas cloud that fact.

Que sera sera.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-27-2021, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

You're just deflecting again from the realities of what life is like for most amateur athletes.

[edit] My "99%" quote was unrelated to this and in reference to holding a similarly "wide net casting" thought towards NCAA athletes and how they're supposedly not real students. Most are in fact real students - don't let the prima donnas cloud that fact.

Que sera sera.
      Kep also ignores the fact that other countries have either similar programs or even government funded programs for their athletes.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        What does amateur have to do with anything? We're talking about the WNT, as far from amateur as you can get. The fact that they "used to be" amateurs when they were in college? Well, unless there's a pro U-6 league out there that I'm unaware of, *everyone* started out as an amateur - so what?
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          What does amateur have to do with anything? We're talking about the WNT, as far from amateur as you can get. The fact that they "used to be" amateurs when they were in college? Well, unless there's a pro U-6 league out there that I'm unaware of, *everyone* started out as an amateur - so what?
          No, it was from Kep spouting off about how he thinks all American athletes are just spoiled, coddled rich kids.

Which came from me calling out his hypocrisy of saying said things while simultaneously being a USWNT Stan.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm not sure if I'm being imprecise or the misunderstanding is willful but this is the second time somebody has thrown the "99% of NC$$ athletes never go on to be professional athletes" canard which has nothing to do with my point.

My point is the athletes we groom to represent the country are given 1000x the support the athletes of most other countries are, and this dulls my enthusiasm for them. I will root for Rocky over Ivan Drago. Every time an athlete from a country with the GDP of Delaware upsets an American, an angel gets its wings.
            How do you contrast that with how countries like China run? Given their proficiency in the judged events, like diving, it's pretty clear that they have the athletes spend their entire lives up to the championship on just whatever they are doing. And given their ages, once done, they move on to the next set of kids. And I sometimes wonder if they have also done that for the team sports.

While I can see the distaste for some of the team sports that are filled with pros, many of the oddball team sports are pro in other countries- so they benefit by that, too.

I'll post my side note to this reply in the Olympic thread. I'm unsure about the whole story about soccer- but if you look at the team make up of the softball team, makes you think there, too (quite a few of them came out of retirement to play- when there's a robust amount of young players in the NCAA)

Comment

• To get things back on track, I still don’t think the USWNT will lose. They’ll probably rally around whatever they perceive as wronging them (the coach, the press, the Federation, whoever) and squeak things out.

Even if they do lose I really don’t believe much will change. The coach will be blamed and fired (the seeds have already been planted for that), they’ll hire someone else and we’ll see a 41 year old Carli Lloyd starting in 2023.

The only thing that could actually bring change is if Earnie Stewart (the USSF Sporting Director) and Kate Markgraf (the USWNT General Manager) actually have the power they are said to have and can force the WNT players and the business side of the USSF into the necessary changes.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Maybe go back and read the posts. : )

Comment

• USA-Mexico in November will be played in Cincinnati and not Columbus.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Yep. Just booked a hotel a mile away from the stadium at under $200/night, so I am content. This is gonna be a fun weekend =)

I was hoping that Minnesota was gonna be the final destination here for this match, but understand why it went to Cincy. The TQL Stadium website leaves a bit to be desired as they have lots of construction pics/info, but it's as if the place has yet to open.
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Say what you will about Berhalter and his tactics, player selection etc. but the US' s- housing form is world class.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• And for those who didn't see it, the US beat Qatar 1-0 to advance to the Gold Cup Final.

Qatar had a penalty kick awarded via VAR and the result was one of the worst attempts ever.

Canada and Mexico playing now. I'd say if Canada keeps it under five that'd be a win.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• I was typing a post harping on Canada going down 0-1 and then Tajon Buchanan scores to tie it up.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Buchannon with a nice little piece of footwork to close out a long breakout and tie the match at 1.

Comment

• And Canada denies a KftM....

They kinda, sorta have momentum at the moment. 0_____0

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                Buchannon with a nice little piece of footwork to close out a long breakout and tie the match at 1.
                                I kind of want Canada to win but I really want Extra Time.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X