This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Actually, this is coming more from the Liga MX side (which is Mexico’s top league).

Though I have no idea why MLS would want any part of this…
    They want access to a market that cares about soccer and they want to be associated with a real league rather than a company scrip scheme?

Having a continent-wide league would, in all honesty, be sweet. I have no idea if it would be good for the USMNT, but it would be great American soccer writ large.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

They want access to a market that cares about soccer and they want to be associated with a real league rather than a company scrip scheme?
      Haha, do you have any idea how the Mexican league is run? Corrupt and shady are its most positive attributes.

Club America is like if the Cowboys were owned by Fox. And the only games on broadcast TV were Cowboys games. And those stories of the league and referees helping the Cowboys were actually true.

And that’s not even getting into the whole “relegated teams buying the rights to promoted teams to stay up” thing.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• The US market cares about soccer. Just generally not MLS.

On that note, Euro 2020 is kicking off this weekend!
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          Haha, do you have any idea how the Mexican league is run? Corrupt and shady are its most positive attributes.
          I assume it makes MLB look like The Hague.

That's a good place to start, though. The guy with the gold makes the rules, so a merger could actually bring a semblance of the rule of law to Mexican soccer.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            The US market cares about soccer. Just generally not MLS.

Turkey/Italy from Rome at 3 on ESPN.
            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              The US market cares about soccer. Just generally not MLS.

Not necessarily, MLS is neck and neck with the EPL outside of a few Big Six matchups. Serie A, Bundesliga, and La Liga have poor numbers (outside of El Classico).

And Liga MX absolutely dwarfs everybody including the EPL. Mexican soccer in general, club and national team, is the undisputed king in the US.
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Christian Eriksen collapsed in the match against Finland. Game suspended.
                Collapse reminded me of Hank Gathers...
                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  Christian Eriksen collapsed in the match against Finland. Game suspended.
                  Being reported he is stable at the hospital.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Christian Eriksen collapsed in the match against Finland. Game suspended.
                    Watching it unfold live, I did not think he was going to make it. One of the most upsetting moments I have seen watching soccer. Here's to hoping for a full recovery.
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Yeah, definitely very scary. Sounds like the players have spoken to him and they’re planning to restart the match.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Being reported he is stable at the hospital.
                        Minor like heatstroke? Major like heart?
                        Cornell University

Comment

Looked like a heart issue. They were doing CPR for several minutes and then used defibrillators.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Not confirmed as anything yet...but I'd have to say heart watching it live and the fact CPR was used.
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

• Either this was something that came up very recently or they missed something during the mandatory health screenings that have been required since Marc Vivian Foe died at the 2003 Confederations Cup.

(Or UEFA doesn’t do the health screenings like FIFA does)
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

My immediate thought too. Good to hear he is stable.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X