This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Also, I think there's a serious lack of understanding from US fans that countries like Costa Rica and Honduras are capable of producing good quality teams (there's a reason why Honduras has qualified for 4 straight Olympics now, heck they finished 4th in Rio!) and the US doesn't have divine right to waltz through CONCACAF.
    This is fair, though it's also fair to note Honduras has the population of Michigan (Costa Rica is South Carolina). By GDP, Honduras is Omaha, NE and Costa Rica is Huntsville, AL.
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-29-2021, 03:07 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The one thing I hate about the US not qualifying for events like the Olympics is the absolute meltdown US Soccer fans have EVERY TIME. "US Soccer is an absolute failure, this an indictment on the whole system! Stewart, Berhalter, MLS, Everyone! Our whole culture sucks! We need accountability!"

Like, it does suck and it's a bit frustrating but let's not blow up the whole system because our D team of MLS depth squad players lost.

Also, I think there's a serious lack of understanding from US fans that countries like Costa Rica and Honduras are capable of producing good quality teams (there's a reason why Honduras has qualified for 4 straight Olympics now, heck they finished 4th in Rio!) and the US doesn't have divine right to waltz through CONCACAF.
      I'm not that up in arms over the loss, but D team? How many likely starters were left off the roster?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

I'm not that up in arms over the loss, but D team? How many likely starters were left off the roster?
        Upwards of 20-30.

15 age eligible players played for the regular MNT this week alone (including Pulisic), plus at least 3-4 more that could have played but weren’t released (Weah and McKennie) and a whole host of European based and MLS players that clubs wouldn’t release.

And with more and more players leaving MLS academies to go to Europe it’s a problem that will get worse. Our only saving grace in that aspect is that Canada is being affected by it too and a Canadian runs CONCACAF so may be motivated to change things.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

This is fair, though it's also fair to note Honduras has the population of Michigan (Costa Rica is South Carolina). By GDP, Honduras is Omaha, NE and Costa Rica is Huntsville, AL.
          Size and GDP isn’t everything, China and India both suck horribly at soccer. Heck, Argentina has been an economic mess for decades but is still a soccer powerhouse with World Cup success and Olympic medals.

Honduras and Costa Rica (and Jamaica if they ever solve their corruption issues) aren’t going to be consistent world beaters but they can be a consistent pain in the *** capable of grinding out results and pulling upsets, which is valuable and scary in “win and in” tournament settings like Olympic Qualifying. They’re capable of results and we should stop being surprised when they beat us (and also take them seriously).
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Upwards of 20-30.

15 age eligible players played for the regular MNT this week alone (including Pulisic), plus at least 3-4 more that could have played but weren’t released (Weah and McKennie) and a whole host of European based and MLS players that clubs wouldn’t release.

And with more and more players leaving MLS academies to go to Europe it’s a problem that will get worse. Our only saving grace in that aspect is that Canada is being affected by it too and a Canadian runs CONCACAF so may be motivated to change things.
            Wow - I had no idea there are that many U23 US players at the top of the talent ladder playing for clubs.

Comment

The one thing I hate about the US not qualifying for events like the Olympics is the absolute meltdown US Soccer fans have EVERY TIME. "US Soccer is an absolute failure, this an indictment on the whole system! Stewart, Berhalter, MLS, Everyone! Our whole culture sucks! We need accountability!"

Like, it does suck and it's a bit frustrating but let's not blow up the whole system because our D team of MLS depth squad players lost.

So, if this is the system. Then we need to adjust and create more depth until our D, E, and F squads can waltz over CONCACAF. Better to have high expectations than not.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Size and GDP isn’t everything, China and India both suck horribly at soccer. Heck, Argentina has been an economic mess for decades but is still a soccer powerhouse with World Cup success and Olympic medals.

Honduras and Costa Rica (and Jamaica if they ever solve their corruption issues) aren’t going to be consistent world beaters but they can be a consistent pain in the *** capable of grinding out results and pulling upsets, which is valuable and scary in “win and in” tournament settings like Olympic Qualifying. They’re capable of results and we should stop being surprised when they beat us (and also take them seriously).
                I understand that. And it certainly is a huge difference that in the US the way to get laid in high school is to play football*, then basketball, then hockey or baseball, then the chess team, then the Model UN, and then soccer.

As with rock and roll, 97% of what males do from the ages of 15-20 is motivated by poon, and outside of our first generation brown communities, soccer receives no help from that quarter.

Poor ****ers might as well be in band.

* Leaving aside the #1 way of course: sell drugs.

Last edited by Kepler; 03-29-2021, 02:09 PM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

So, if this is the system. Then we need to adjust and create more depth until our D, E, and F squads can waltz over CONCACAF. Better to have high expectations than not.
                  That’s the biggest problem right there: Every time there’s a setback everyone panics and demands change. So they retool something or create some new youth setup or elect new leadership. How about everyone takes a deep breath, chill, and let the current system play out? Missing the Olympics isn’t the end of the world.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I understand that. And it certainly is a huge difference that in the US the way to get laid in high school is to play football*, then basketball, then hockey or baseball, then the chess team, then the Model UN, and then soccer.

As with rock and roll, 97% of what males do from the ages of 15-20 is motivated by poon, and outside of our first generation brown communities, soccer receives no help from that quarter.

Poor ****ers might as well be in band.

* Leaving aside the #1 way of course: sell drugs.

Once again, you know nothing.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Happened a few days ago while the board was blown up, but North Macedonia upset Germany in WC qualifying.

It also means that at the moment in Group J of UEFA qualifying, Armenia is in first and North Macedonia is second, while Germany, Iceland, and Romania are all in elimination status. But, there are still seven of the ten games to go.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

That’s the biggest problem right there: Every time there’s a setback everyone panics and demands change. So they retool something or create some new youth setup or elect new leadership. How about everyone takes a deep breath, chill, and let the current system play out? Missing the Olympics isn’t the end of the world.
                        I neither panic or demand change. Also, USSF isnt listening to us peons. If they are, they are the problem.

Fans be fans.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

I neither panic or demand change. Also, USSF isnt listening to us peons. If they are, they are the problem.

Fans be fans.
                          The problem with any leadership at the USSF lies within who elects them. I think fans, especially the people on Twitter and Reddit, really don’t understand the how many different groups have a vote and how those groups have competing interests against each other. The idea that MLS runs everything is pretty ludicrous.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Video explaining the upcoming changes to the UEFA Champions League in 2024.

Or, the changes being made (again) to keep the big clubs happy so they don’t go off and form their own league without UEFA.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Video explaining the upcoming changes to the UEFA Champions League in 2024.

Or, the changes being made (again) to keep the big clubs happy so they don’t go off and form their own league without UEFA.
                              So, it's seeding by weighting the factory teams forever. a.k.a., the way the NC$$ used to seed the hockey tournament when it was smoke-filled rooms.

The round of eight will be the same teams every year.
                              Cornell University

Comment

So, it's seeding by weighting the factory teams forever. a.k.a., the way the NC$$ used to seed the hockey tournament when it was smoke-filled rooms.

The round of eight will be the same teams every year.
                                That's the point. What part of "keep the big clubs happy" do you not understand?
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X