This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

I realize the Olympics are not nearly as big as the WC, but with that said these players should be made available. What is the deal there?
    Pulisic cant stay on the field is his issue.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

I realize the Olympics are not nearly as big as the WC, but with that said these players should be made available. What is the deal there?
      They’re not available. Clubs do not have to release players for the Olympics or Olympic Qualifying.

Even MLS teams like Atlanta didn’t release players.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        They’re not available. Clubs do not have to release players for the Olympics or Olympic Qualifying.

Even MLS teams like Atlanta didn’t release players.
        There are few enough players that it should not be difficult for them to sit down and work out interlocking schedules.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

There are few enough players that it should not be difficult for them to sit down and work out interlocking schedules.
          True, but for the men the Olympics isn't a full international event but a glorified juniors tournament. That's the bigger issue. It'd be like the NHL releasing players to go play in the world juniors.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

True, but for the men the Olympics isn't a full international event but a glorified juniors tournament. That's the bigger issue. It'd be like the NHL releasing players to go play in the world juniors.
            So why didn't Olympic soccer take off? It has footie and nationalist jingoism. What more do you need?

Could we pour all our money into the Olympics and buy a title?
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So why didn't Olympic soccer take off? It has footie and nationalist jingoism. What more do you need?

Clubs control they players, and there’s no upside (read $$$) in it for them. There’s nothing but injury and fatigue downside in it for the clubs. There isn’t even a patriotic sheen to lean on, either, since very few of the players in question play for clubs in their own countries.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

FIFA didn't want an off-year rival to the World Cup.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

If I had to take a guess, with no real evidence:

The World Cup already takes place every four years, so it already has a bit of rarity to it. Unlike say, the IIHF which has an annual world championship. The Olympics in hockey always feel a bit more special, partly because they’re now super team tournaments, but it’s also just different when it’s only every four years. When the top prize of the sport is literally THE tournament of the planet, hard to get excited about another tournament that has even less teams.

Europe and South America already have regional tournaments that draw a ton of hype with Euros and Copa America that line up with Olympic years.

Since Britain is split into home nations in soccer, they don’t send a team. While success hasn’t found those teams for some time, it’s hard to elevate a tournament that will never one of the more popular/historic teams (sans when they host).

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

They should make it an U-21 tournament which depending upon the country would reduce how many players won't be available.

Comment

It has to some extent, the South Americans has a positive view towards the Olympics stemming from Uruguay winning in 1924 and 1928 (which lead to the creation of the World Cup) and the old East Bloc loved winning too. The Europeans always hated the Olympics because they could never use their best players and never win, nowadays money is the reason they hate it.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• CONCACAF Everyone.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I was expecting bags of urine raining on a bomb-cratered pitch.
                          Cornell University

Comment

I was expecting bags of urine raining on a bomb-cratered pitch.
                            That's next week.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Based on the box score it looks like they ended up fielding 11 and had one sub available. Lost 3-0.

Canada won 2-0 over El Salvador.

If game 2 results go chalk in both groups, it'll be a fairly boring match day 3, besides the USA-Mexico rivalry. The knockout round would be decided sans seeding at that point.

Also did not realize WC qualifying started this week for CONCACAF. There are some interesting quirks in the scheduling given Covid. The Dominican Republic is hosting a lot of games, but their second leg of the international break they have a "road game" in the US to play Anguilla.
                              Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 03-20-2021, 01:38 PM.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Based on the box score it looks like they ended up fielding 11 and had one sub available. Lost 3-0.

Canada won 2-0 over El Salvador.

If game 2 results go chalk in both groups, it'll be a fairly boring match day 3, besides the USA-Mexico rivalry. The knockout round would be decided sans seeding at that point.

Also did not realize WC qualifying started this week for CONCACAF. There are some interesting quirks in the scheduling given Covid. The Dominican Republic is hosting a lot of games, but their second leg of the international break they have a "road game" in the US to play Anguilla.
                                The sight of a FIFA Referee at a Confederational tournament having to use the procedure for a team starting a game with less than 11 players. I mean, it does happen because Cuba exists but yeah.

I think for the US finishing first or second is kinda irrelevant since Canada and Honduras are pretty similar. Avoiding Mexico is always the goal in the win and in.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X