Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    On a different note, in England:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/henrywint...10450406219777

    Unfortunately, the obsession with lower leagues is exactly why English soccer is a financial mess outside the Top 6.

    Italy, Germany, Spain, France, and Portugal all allow reserve teams of first tier clubs in their respective third tier. Of those countries only Germany has a national third tier, and the 3.Liga was only formed in 2008.
    Your ideas are bad and you are bad for having them.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

      Your ideas are bad and you are bad for having them.
      Not my ideas, the ideas of people who run soccer in countries that have *checks math* 11 World Cup titles and 10 European Championships combined.

      Wait, the Dutch have a similar system as well. So that's 11 World Cups and 11 European Champs.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

      Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Not my ideas, the ideas of people who run soccer in countries that have *checks math* 11 World Cup titles and 10 European Championships combined.

        Wait, the Dutch have a similar system as well. So that's 11 World Cups and 11 European Champs.
        Your move, Kep.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

          Your move, Kep.
          My move is that the health of a sport is not just measured by how the very top does, otherwise Russia would be considered the greatest hockey country from 1950 through 1990.

          This is the equivalent of African tin pot dictatorship "capitolism," where all resources are centralized in the capitol and the rest of the country goes to hell. It's like judging the arts by the best seller list. It's falling for marketing hype and Dumpesque solid gold toilets.

          Show me the country with the strongest 100th-best team. That is who is doing it right.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

            My move is that the health of a sport is not just measured by how the very top does, otherwise Russia would be considered the greatest hockey country from 1950 through 1990.

            This is the equivalent of African tin pot dictatorship "capitolism," where all resources are centralized in the capitol and the rest of the country goes to hell. It's like judging the arts by the best seller list. It's falling for marketing hype and Dumpesque solid gold toilets.

            Show me the country with the strongest 100th-best team. That is who is doing it right.
            What you're talking about doesn't exist. Even in England the resources are centralized in the Premier League, and the resources in the PL are further concentrated in the Top Six. Outside of the 10-12 best clubs, everyone else is either spending to stay up or going into huge debt in a desperate attempt to go up. Because of COVID the EFL clubs are begging the PL to bail them out of their financial recklessness.

            At least in Germany the third and fourth tier clubs aren't one breath away from bankruptcy and their fans seem to enjoy things, even if they aren't going to be in the Bundesliga any time soon.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

            Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              What you're talking about doesn't exist. Even in England the resources are centralized in the Premier League, and the resources in the PL are further concentrated in the Top Six. Outside of the 10-12 best clubs, everyone else is either spending to stay up or going into huge debt in a desperate attempt to go up. Because of COVID the EFL clubs are begging the PL to bail them out of their financial recklessness.

              At least in Germany the third and fourth tier clubs aren't one breath away from bankruptcy and their fans seem to enjoy things, even if they aren't going to be in the Bundesliga any time soon.
              For the first time in its 12 year existence, a reserve team was in a promotion spot in the 3 Bundesliga at the end of last season. It's not like reserve teams are crushing this tiny little clubs who have no chance. Hell, SC Paderborn finished 2nd in the 3.Liga in 17-18, 2nd in the 2.Bundesliga in 18-19 and was playing in the 1.Bundesliga in 19-20.

              Comment


              • Eh. Its not MLS so why bother with it.

                eta: i meant this as MLS is best, not a dig at J.
                Last edited by JF_Gophers; 10-09-2020, 09:33 AM.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

                Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

                Comment


                • Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

                  For the first time in its 12 year existence, a reserve team was in a promotion spot in the 3 Bundesliga at the end of last season. It's not like reserve teams are crushing this tiny little clubs who have no chance. Hell, SC Paderborn finished 2nd in the 3.Liga in 17-18, 2nd in the 2.Bundesliga in 18-19 and was playing in the 1.Bundesliga in 19-20.
                  And that reserve team was Bayern Munich II, which is more of a sign of “Bayern is really good” and less of “this system is broken”.

                  (The system is broken but that’s not related to reserve teams so much)

                  Paderborn is good example of Germany’s stability in their lower leagues. The teams between the lower 1.Bundesliga and the 3.Liga are all relatively stable financially and movement is fairly fluid between the tiers.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

                  Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                  Comment


                  • Rapinoe says the quiet part out loud.

                    Rapinoe wrote in her piece for the Players’ Tribune published ahead of this month’s WNBA finals that the players for the USWNT were perceived as “straight, cute, unthreatening, suburban white girls next door.
                    Now I’m not gonna say that the WNT negotiated CBA that Rapinoe had a big hand in where limits were placed on how many new players could be brought in had an effect on this. Totally not gonna say that.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

                    Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                    Comment


                    • The USMNT finally jumps back into action with a friendly against Wales today.

                      Edit: Of course Pulisic is still injured.
                      Last edited by Jimjamesak; 11-12-2020, 12:03 PM.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

                      Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                      Comment


                      • Scotland beats Serbia on Kicks to qualify for Euro 2020(1). Their first major tournament since the 1998 World Cup.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

                        Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                        Comment


                        • It’s weird watching this US-Panama game with a European referee (since it’s being played in Austria). Like a foul happens and the whistle is actually blown instead of a mournful look of “did that hurt” you’d get from a CONCACAF referee (well outside of the US, Canada, and Mexico).
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

                          Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                          Comment


                          • If I’ve learned anything over the years of watching soccer, it’s that a lot of people don’t know the f-ing Laws.

                            (In reference to the MLS Playoffs today)
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

                            Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              If I’ve learned anything over the years of watching soccer, it’s that a lot of people don’t know the f-ing Laws.

                              (In reference to the MLS Playoffs today)
                              Wha- happen?

                              Also, note that we are on track for a 12/1 meeting in Seattle if we can get by our respective Conf QF opponents.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                                Wha- happen?

                                Also, note that we are on track for a 12/1 meeting in Seattle if we can get by our respective Conf QF opponents.
                                NYCFC and Orlando went to Kicks From The Mark (that’s PKs to you non-referee. 20 years of “training” will never allow me to refer to it as such). Orlando GK has a caution from earlier in the game, makes a save on the final kick, referee calls GK for encroachment on the kick (there’s some debate on whether this was a VAR call but he didn’t go to the monitor like would be required so my sense is the referee called it and VAR confirmed), because MLS isn’t using the new Law changes (because the season started before they were released) that’s an automatic caution and send off since it’s his second caution (under new Laws it would be a warning and the earlier caution wouldn’t have carried over), Orlando subs player off for backup GK, someone on referee crew (VAR?) realizes this can’t happen (no subs when you go to KFTM) and the backup GK is sent back off, field player goes in goal and makes save, Orlando celebrates but still has to take a kick, Orlando scores on their kick and wins.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

                                Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X