This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Algeria, Ghana, and Tunisia all are eliminated in the group stage of AFCON.

And Palestine made the Round of 16 at the Asian Cup.
    Is You Know Who there too?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Is You Know Who there too?
      Israel plays in Europe/UEFA.

Israel’s Confederation affiliation was an ongoing saga for 30 years involving boycotts, forfeits, Israel eventually being kicked out of the Asian Confederation and having no Confederation at all, playing in the Oceania Confederation before finally joining UEFA in 1994.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Here’s a weird one:

Jesus Ferreira of the USMNT and FC Dallas had preliminarily agreed to a $13 million transfer with Spartak Moscow of Russia before MLS itself (remember, the league ultimately controls the players’ contracts and ITCs) put the kibosh on the deal because “there are risks for American business entities doing business with Russian business entities”.

Spartak Moscow is owned by Lukoil, a Russian company that has been on the sanctions list since 2014.

Like, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot to both Ferreira for pursuing the deal (to the point that he was negotiating his personal terms) and FC Dallas for going along with the deal.
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Maidstone United is now onto the Round of 16 in the FA Cup after a 2-1 win over Ipswich from the Championship. Ipswich made ten changes from their regular lineup, but shots were 38-2, shots on target 13-2. Maidstone had 200 passes with just 49% accuracy. They're the first team from Level 6 into the R16 since 1978.

They'd have some good luck in draws, playing a Level 7 in the first round when they could've played a Level 3 and avoiding the Premier League the last two rounds, but you know what? That doesn't really matter. A semi-pro team is still going to be two games from playing at Wembley.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Maidstone United is now onto the Round of 16 in the FA Cup after a 2-1 win over Ipswich from the Championship. Ipswich made ten changes from their regular lineup, but shots were 38-2, shots on target 13-2. Maidstone had 200 passes with just 49% accuracy. They're the first team from Level 6 into the R16 since 1978.

They'd have some good luck in draws, playing a Level 7 in the first round when they could've played a Level 3 and avoiding the Premier League the last two rounds, but you know what? That doesn't really matter. A semi-pro team is still going to be two games from playing at Wembley.
            That's wonderful.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• TIL the Dutch only have 34 professional soccer clubs, 18 in the Eredivisie and 16 in the Eerste Divisie. The Eerste Divisie is filled out by the reserve teams of Ajax, PSV, AZ Alkmaar and FC Utretch to bring it to 20. Promotion and Relegation between it and the third division has been “suspended for five to ten years” due to the pandemic but previously the only way a team could be promoted was if they declared before the season and won the third division. Previous to that, from the 70’s to 2008, a team only got promoted if another team went bankrupt and lost their professional license.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• This is so wildly convoluted.

The Dutch professional structure began as Honors, 1 (Eeerste), and 2 (Dweede). Then 2 was abolished.

The Dutch amateur structure, separate and with no pro/rel to/from the professionals, began as Headclass. Then they added Topclass above that -- a hybrid where the team was amateur but players could still have have contracts.

Then they recreated 2 as the hybrid league, below 1 and above Topclass. Topclass became 3 (Derde), but now completely amateur.

For a while they even had a system where half a league played Saturday and half played Sunday, and then the champions played a title game at the end of the season.

Oh, and below the national amateur pyramid the regional amateurs start all over again with 1 (Eerste).
                Cornell University

Comment

• The US will play their 2026 group stage games in LA, Seattle, then back to LA.

Balls.... $Texas just became ($Texas + 1) >=(
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    The US will play their 2026 group stage games in LA, Seattle, then back to LA.

Balls.... $Texas just became ($Texas + 1) >=(
                    Final not in Dallas but will be in the Meadowlands instead.

I really want to go to that game in Seattle though...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• ....waits for the ACL curse to hit FIFA
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        ....waits for the ACL curse to hit FIFA
                        Hopefully natural grass helps with that.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• South Korean fans: How can Jurgen Klinsmann lead us to a loss against a team like Jordan in our Continental Championship?

USMNT fans: First time?
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• IFAB to introduce blue cards for ten minute misconducts.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...-trials-soccer

I kept wondering why they’re called sin bins and not penalty boxes, and then it dawned on me they already have a penalty (area) box as an official part of the field.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

IFAB to introduce blue cards for ten minute misconducts.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...-trials-soccer

I kept wondering why they’re called sin bins and not penalty boxes, and then it dawned on me they already have a penalty (area) box as an official part of the field.
                              Yup, and “penalty” also has a different connotation in British English as it means “penalty kick” whereas we use the full “penalty kick” or “PK” in the US (and Canada).

Seems like Blue cards will be trialed at lower levels before it makes an appearance anywhere on TV. I know sin bins (or “temporary dismissals” to use the official term) are used in amateur leagues in England, wonder if they’ll start using them in the US.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Reading through some of the FA Cup prelims there was a team that lost their game, won an appeal and then won the replay because an official used the sin bin rule when the FA Cup doesn’t.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X