This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool. Thanks for the info.

I did a quick look at the wiki page but it's... hard to parse since it's such an unusual format for a tournament.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

It looks like a Level 6 has made it three of the last four years, but before that it hadn’t happened since at least 2006 (then wiki stops listing the pyramid levels). 4s and 5s are common to make it this far, but really it’s partly luck of the draw. Teams aren’t seeded, everyone just goes into the same pot. Maidstone could’ve easily played a PL club last round but instead got to play a Level 3 squad.

Still, I’d say it’s more akin to a 15 seed in the Elite Eight.

Whats cool about the FA Cup, but I really can’t see lasting much longer as they already got rid of them in the quarterfinals, is they go old school and do full replays if the first match ends in a draw.
      They use to do replays for every round and marathon replays too. Basically if a match tied, they'd do a replay. If the replay was tied they'd do another replay and so on.

Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday had to do four replays back in 1979.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• On that note, People complain about fixture congestion these days but it was a lot worse in the past. Arsenal played 70 games in 1979/80. 42 league games, 7 League Cup games (including two replays), 11 in the FA Cup (including 5 replays, 3 in the semifinals alone), 9 in the Cup Winners Cup, and the Charity Shield.

And you were only allowed one substitute back then too. Only 19 players in the squad too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979%E...al_F.C._season
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          On that note, People complain about fixture congestion these days but it was a lot worse in the past. Arsenal played 70 games in 1979/80. 42 league games, 7 League Cup games (including two replays), 11 in the FA Cup (including 5 replays, 3 in the semifinals alone), 9 in the Cup Winners Cup, and the Charity Shield.

And you were only allowed one substitute back then too. Only 19 players in the squad too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979%E...al_F.C._season
          I wonder if the game was as fast paced though. It's like saying hockey teams used to only skate 3 lines. Yeah, but watch old footage -- they are slllllllllllllllllow.

I'll bet with modern conditioning and science soccer is much, much faster and more demanding, now.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I wonder if the game was as fast paced though. It's like saying hockey teams used to only skate 3 lines. Yeah, but watch old footage -- they are slllllllllllllllllow.

I'll bet with modern conditioning and science soccer is much, much faster and more demanding, now.
            It wasnt. Without question. But the point still stands that that was a lot (too much?) football, and does put the current gripes I to a bit more perspective. Though it seems pretty clear that the top players at the top clubs today are asked to play a lot of matches, and it makes sense to dial it back (not that it will be. Way too much money left on the table)

Comment

Slow but also very very rough. Things that would be an automatic red card these days didn't warrant as much of a blink back then. Soccer in the 70's and 80's (and somewhat in the early 90's) was as much of a warzone as it was a game.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post

It wasnt. Without question. But the point still stands that that was a lot (too much?) football, and does put the current gripes I to a bit more perspective. Though it seems pretty clear that the top players at the top clubs today are asked to play a lot of matches, and it makes sense to dial it back (not that it will be. Way too much money left on the table)
                The kvetching about "fixture congestion" these days is because the international game has expanded greatly, the Euros was only 8 teams back then, the World Cup was 16. Qualifying was shorter for the major countries (fewer countries back then) and, outside of things like the British Home Championship, there wasn't as many minor competitions. Most of the complaining these days is lead by clubs who are angry the national FAs are honing in on their money pie. It's not without merit but it does come with a caveat.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Slow but also very very rough. Things that would be an automatic red card these days didn't warrant as much of a blink back then. Soccer in the 70's and 80's (and somewhat in the early 90's) was as much of a warzone as it was a game.
                  Yeah, the movie about Brian Clough really opened my eyes about how the game used to be played. It was, much like hockey, just a bunch of goons with clubs, only those clubs were their legs instead of sticks.

I'm shocked people weren't crippled or killed. Maybe they were.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yeah, the movie about Brian Clough really opened my eyes about how the game used to be played. It was, much like hockey, just a bunch of goons with clubs, only those clubs were their legs instead of sticks.

I'm shocked people weren't crippled or killed. Maybe they were.
                    I'm shocked guys like Pele and Maradona were able to walk after their careers were done.

Edit: It's amazing how much of a shift the game had in the 90's, the difference between the 1990 and 1998 World Cups is night and day. Between television and some drastic rules changes it's amazing how different things became.
                    Last edited by Jimjamesak; 01-08-2024, 02:48 PM.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I'm shocked guys like Pele and Maradona were able to walk after their careers were done.
                      Did they have enforcers to protect them? Did they protect themselves, like Howe?
                      Cornell University

Comment

Did they have enforcers to protect them?
                        Not really. I mean, you can't fight and taking out a defender wasn't the same as taking out a Pele or Mardonna.

The closest soccer ever got to enforcers was in the mid 2000s when everyone was playing the 3-5-2 and guys like Gattuso and Makelele played CDM to protect Pirlo and Zidane. Though that was "protect" in the sense that they would win the ball back if there was a turnover.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Not really. I mean, you can't fight and taking out a defender wasn't the same as taking out a Pele or Mardonna.
                          I assume in our more hot-blooded countries it would be solved one way or another.
                          Cornell University

Comment

I assume in our more hot-blooded countries it would be solved one way or another.
                            You should read some of the stories around the 1978 World Cup in Argentina.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• So Minnesota United star Emanuel Reynoso has, for the second straight season, not reported to preseason training.

Which would be a big issue but MNUFC also doesn’t have a coaching staff in place either.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Algeria, Ghana, and Tunisia all are eliminated in the group stage of AFCON.

And Palestine made the Round of 16 at the Asian Cup.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X