This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

What games are actually viewable in the UK then? If I’m remembering right the 3pm slot is blacked out to help the lower leagues, even though most teams kick off then. Is it just the Sunday and Monday night games?
    It's just supposed to be the 3pm Saturday games. I have no idea why the Friday game wasn't broadcasted.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Miami wins Leagues Cup in kicks after a 1-1 tie. Messi scored in his 7th straight game.
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Spain takes the crown 1-0 and without Earps it could've been worse than that for England. What I didn't know until this morning was that many of Spain's older and/or more established players sat out this World Cup because they don't like the coach, which is why they came in as the youngest finalist since 1995. So by keeping him on they may have just fast tracked a generation up an entire cycle.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
          I'm leaning towards Spain.
          If I had money on them they would have lost. ;^)
          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Miami wins Leagues Cup in kicks after a 1-1 tie. Messi scored in his 7th straight game.
            So Messi > the entire rest of the MLS?
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

So Messi > the entire rest of the MLS?
              More like Messi > everyone else. He’d likely be doing this no matter where he was playing.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                Spain takes the crown 1-0 and without Earps it could've been worse than that for England. What I didn't know until this morning was that many of Spain's older and/or more established players sat out this World Cup because they don't like the coach, which is why they came in as the youngest finalist since 1995. So by keeping him on they may have just fast tracked a generation up an entire cycle.
                It’s a bit more than that. Most of the current players on the team can’t stand the coach either, they’re just playing because they got a few concessions from the federation. It’s probably a miracle they won without some drama so far in the tournament.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• On Leagues Cup, the amount of copium going through Mexico and Liga MX right now is hilarious. Clearly they thought they were going to steamroll this competition, agreed to the format on that premise and are now upset that they got worked.

I think some format changes are going to happen, Mexico teams having home games will probably be one, but given the tv ratings and the corporate sponsorship response this competition isn’t going anywhere.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Spain captain Olga Carmona, who scored the lone goal in her country's 1-0 win over England in the World Cup final on Sunday morning, learned after the match that her father had died.

"We deeply regret that we must announce the death of Olga Carmona's father," the Royal Spanish Football Federation said in a statement on social media.
                    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      It’s a bit more than that. Most of the current players on the team can’t stand the coach either, they’re just playing because they got a few concessions from the federation. It’s probably a miracle they won without some drama so far in the tournament.
                      Oh yeah, it sounds like no one really likes him. Just that younger players were more willing to deal with him than the older ones.

And in more great news of the Spanish FA, their president is now getting heat for grabbing a player and forcefully kissing her on the lips during the celebration.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Went down a wiki rabbit hole this morning and ended up on the AFC Women’s Olympic qualifiers. It appears North Korea is going to enter the sporting world for the first time in three years. The funny thing is they got a bye to the second round based on their ranking (still best in Asia) in January, but then for the second round draw got put into the last pot because they were unranked because they got dropped in March for not being active for 48 months.

And they’re in a group with China and South Korea, so if North Korea is anywhere near their mark when they stopped playing, the group will have three top 20 teams in it.
                        Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 08-21-2023, 10:50 AM.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• The Messi effect is real: Leagues Cup Final had over 1.7 million viewers on Univision. No numbers from Apple of course but if even half of the subscribers tuned in that’d be pushing 3 million.

It’ll be interesting to see what the numbers will be for tomorrow’s US Open Cup semifinals on Telemundo/Peacock and CBS Sports/Paramount+.

Meanwhile the USL on ESPN2 had 55k viewers Wednesday night.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• N00b question. How owner are MLS owners? To an outsider, it seems the league is run like McDonalds, where a franchise is nominally yours but what is happening is the profit or loss is shared while you get a piece of the action for running a club. Owners seem like management with more cocaine.

Who is actually paying Messi, and who is getting the windfall from the Messi Effect?

Last edited by Kepler; 08-23-2023, 07:46 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Is Messi's MLS dominance bad for the league? Alexi actually says no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                N00b question. How owner are MLS owners? To an outsider, it seems the league is run like McDonalds, where a franchise is nominally yours but what is happening is the profit or loss is shared while you get a piece of the action for running a club. Owners seem like management with more cocaine.

Who is actually paying Messi, and who is getting the windfall from the Messi Effect?
                                MLS “owners” aren’t really owners, the term the league uses is “investor-operator”. Basically, they’ve invested in MLS LLC and now operate one of the teams.

Most of the money that is shared is from things like merchandise, tv, and especially ticket sales. So if teams are able to charge significantly more for Messi games then everyone is making money. If the deal with Apple is providing more money as subscriptions increase, everyone is making money.

As for who’s actually paying Messi? To some extent it’s the league as that’s who technically owns the contract, though as a designated player the Inter Miami I/Os are responsible for most of it. Plus, Apple and Adidas are kicking in a huge chunk.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X