This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found this and I must say it is wonderful:

The 1901 FA Cup Final was won by London club Tottenham Hotspur, which became the only non-League club to have ever won the FA Cup final after the formation of the Football League in 1888 (Tottenham were then in the Southern League). The final between Tottenham and Sheffield United held at Crystal Palace was attended by 110,820 fans, then the largest crowd ever for a football match. The game ended in a 2–2 draw, with both Spurs goals from Sandy Brown, and a disputed goal from Sheffield United – the final was the first to be filmed and it would be the first referee decision demonstrated to be wrong by film footage as it showed that the ball did not cross the line.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Wrexham can make it to the English Football League (2nd tier) if the investment stays steady and they can put money back into salaries. They just need to be smart with how they spend as a mega contract that doesn't pan out can be a killer.

MLS teams are somewhere between the bottom of the English Football League (2nd tier) and top of League Two (4th tier).
      Woof, we need some corrections on this.

1. The English Football League is the umbrella organization for the EFL Championship (2nd tier), EFL League One (3rd tier), and EFL League Two (4th tier). It used to include the 1st tier until 1992 when the Premier League was formed.

2. Wrexham could reach League One but after that the costs would be astronomically out of reach. The Championship is likely top 5-6 in the world for player salaries because nearly every team in it spending like crazy desperately trying to reach the PL.

3. Most MLS teams would hover somewhere in the Championship and maybe League One. League Two teams wouldn't stand a chance against MLS teams. Yes, even the bad teams like Colorado or Chicago. Though it's a weird comparison to make because salary caps and roster restrictions exist in MLS that don't elsewhere (outside of Australia).
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Does the GB pyramid include school and university teams?
        Not in the sense of how they work in the US.

It's kind of hard to really compare to the English pyramid because they include everyone. From the Premier League all the way down to the random neighborhood pub team if you want to play in England you have to be registered with the FA and play somewhere in the pyramid. Whereas in the US you can easily play in a league that isn't registered with the USSF.
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          I don't see Wrexhams fixture in there? Weren't they given auto promotion? ;-)

Also, Ben Foster is returning for 1 more season as their keeper.

Getting Foster back is a huge deal, not just because he sures up a shaky spot on the field, but his experience in the EPL will be priceless. The things he is going to be able to teach his teammates...

As I said in the Wrexham reddit group, as long as Rob & Ryan stick to writing the checks and doing publicity while leaving the real football decisions to those who know better the team will be fine. Just spending cash is not a guarantee of success *cough* Chelsea. It has to be spent wisely. So far it has worked out well. The test will come when a player on a big contract doesn't pan out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Not in the sense of how they work in the US.

It's kind of hard to really compare to the English pyramid because they include everyone. From the Premier League all the way down to the random neighborhood pub team if you want to play in England you have to be registered with the FA and play somewhere in the pyramid. Whereas in the US you can easily play in a league that isn't registered with the USSF.
            I was thinking since I was counting college and high school teams separately from professional and amateur teams for the US, to compare apples to apples I wanted to be sure I wasn't mooshing British university and school teams in with their pyramid count.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I was thinking since I was counting college and high school teams separately from professional and amateur teams for the US, to compare apples to apples I wanted to be sure I wasn't mooshing British university and school teams in with their pyramid count.
              I believe the universities in England have teams in the pyramid but they’re a lot closer to club teams.

All the college teams in the US are not only not registered with the USSF, they have their own rule set.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• To get an idea of teams in the US “pyramid”:

MLS has 29 and soon to be 30
                USL Championship has 24
                USL League One has 12
                MLS Next Pro has 27 (though only one right now is independent)
                NISA supposedly has 9

Those are the professional leagues.

USL League Two with 120
                NPSL has 92

Those are the de facto fourth division amateur/semipro leagues.

UPSL Premier Division has around 100

That’s the de facto fifth tier.

UPSL Division One has around 300 or so.

That’s probably the sixth tier.

After that there’s a ton of state and local leagues of varying levels.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Jude Bellingham signed with Real Madrid today. Being under contract with Dortmund for another two weeks apparently isn't a problem in Europe.

He will earn $90 million over the next six seasons. What were you doing when you were 19?

Comment

• Canada up 1-0 on Panama in the other CONCACAF Nations League semifinal.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• When do the first World Cup qualifiers begin?
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Canada beats Panama 2-0 and will play the winner of USA-Mexico.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

When do the first World Cup qualifiers begin?
                          Late this year for CONCACAF and Asia.

Edit:
                          October 2023 for Asia
                          November for Africa
                          March 2024 for CONCACAF
                          September 2023 for CONMEBOL
                          UEFA 2025
                          Oceania has yet to decide
                          Last edited by Jimjamesak; 06-15-2023, 09:05 PM.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Thank you!
                            Cornell University

Comment

Thank you!
                              It was interesting looking it up and seeing the format changes.

CONMEBOL is keeping their League System where everyone plays each other twice, which will be really anti-climatic as 6 out of 10 qualify.

Asia is just adding another group to their final round, so 18 teams instead of 12, with the top 2 qualifying and third and fourth going to a playoff. 8 teams out of Asia, can't wait to see Oman and Syria playing it off...

Africa is going the European route: every team into a group of 6, winners qualify, four runners up to a playoff. That should actually be entertaining.

CONCACAF is doing six groups of five with the top advancing to three groups of four with those winners qualifying. With the Norte Americanos not there it should be the CONCACAFist qualifying ever.

UEFA is staying mostly the same, just more groups with less teams in them.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Eight teams from Asia and ten from Africa? This World Cup is going to be brutal.

Comment

Working...
                                X