This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I’d also bet you could take a team of Brazilians with zero caps to the World Cup and have a better showing than Qatar.
    I'd bet I could take a team from the pub to the World Cup and have a better showing than Qatar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      It's rumored FIFA could reverse the 16 three team groups and go with 12 four team groups.

With the new FIFA rankings, if everyone made it based on rank:
      Pot 1 Pot 2 Pot 3 Pot 4
      USA - host Spain Korea Egypt
      Mexico - host Morocco Ukraine Mali
      Canada - host Switzerland Australia Ivory Coast
      Brazil Germany Wales Saudi Arabia
      Argentina Uruguay Tunisia Qatar
      France Colombia Serbia Panama
      Belgium Denmark Chile Jamaica
      England Senegal Costa Rica Iraq
      Netherlands Japan Cameroon UAE
      Croatia Peru Austria New Zealand
      Italy Sweden Nigeria P1 - Ecuador
      Portugal Iran Algeria P2 - Burkina Faso
      Then we have the two playoffs. UEFA gets no playoff spots. CONCACAF gets two. Everyone else gets one. The top two teams are seeded and then the others are randomly assigned. Not sure if they would put the CONCACAF teams in the same bracket, but I'm separating them.

Playoff 1 -
      Ecuador vs El Salvador/Solomon Islands

Playoff 2 -
      Burkina Faso vs Honduras/Oman

There isn't much of a drop off in the African teams until you get to Burkina Faso in the playoff. Otherwise you get the usual rotation, plus Mali finally gets in after dominating all the youth tournaments. CONCACAF gets the whole Hex in, so I there's some drop off at the end, but it's basically a copy of the fourth team that gets in most of the time anyway. The only major drop offs are the mass of Asian teams in Pot 4, plus New Zealand with Oceania finally getting an autobid.
      I go more with what happened in qualifying this time around and extrapolate from there. So you’d get the following teams added:

UEFA: Take the six from the first playoff round winners so add Ukraine, Sweden, and North Macedonia.

CONMEBOL: Add Peru and Colombia. Chile in the playoff.

CONCACAF: Add Panama and Jamaica (Yikes). Honduras and El Salvador to the playoff (Double yikes).

AFC: Add UAE and either Iraq or Oman with the loser to the playoff (JFC is Asia terrible once you get past their top 4 or 5).

CAF (Africa): Add four of Egypt, Algeria, Nigeria, Mali, and DR Congo with the fifth to the playoff (Like I said, more spots to Africa is a good thing).

Oceania: Add New Zealand, Solomon Islands to the playoff.

Going by rankings Chile and DR Congo would the playoff winners.

Going by that you’d have the following pots:

Pot 1
      USA
      Canada
      Mexico
      Brazil
      Belgium
      Argentina
      France
      England
      Spain
      Netherlands
      Portugal
      Denmark

Pot 2
      Germany
      Croatia
      Switzerland
      Uruguay
      Colombia
      Senegal
      Wales
      Iran
      Serbia
      Morocco
      Peru
      Japan

Pot 3
      Sweden
      Poland
      Ukraine
      S. Korea
      Chile
      Tunisia
      Nigeria
      Costa Rica
      Algeria
      Australia
      Egypt
      Cameroon

Pot 4
      Ecuador
      Mali
      Qatar
      Saudi Arabia
      Panama
      Ghana
      Jamaica
      North Macedonia
      Iraq
      UAE
      DR Congo
      New Zealand

Outside of Ecuador, Saudi Arabia and Ghana Pot 4 is some serious stank. I doubt we’d get some Women’s World Cup type blowouts but yikes.

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• New FIFA Ranking top 20:
        1. Brazil
        2. Argentina
        3. France
        4. Belgium
        5. England
        6. Netherlands
        7. Croatia
        8. Italy
        9. Portugal
        10. Spain
        11. Morocco
        12. Switzerland
        13. USA
        14. Germany
        15. Mexico
        16. Uruguay
        17. Colombia
        18. Denmark
        19. Senegal
        20. Japan
        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• So former USMNT player and U20 Coach Tab Ramos did an interview where he called out the USSF and said the Berhalter shouldn't be the coach going forward. So, naturally, the #USMNT idiots picked up on it and are now tubthumping for Ramos to be the new coach.

Because nothing screams qualified like the guy who led the Houston Dynamo to back to back last place finishes in the Western Conference and a 10W-21D-26L record.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• I wouldn't hire him, but I also wouldn't have hired a coach with a sub 40 winning percentage.

Comment

• I am attending the Star Wars Celebration in London April 7-10 and plan to stick around for some soccer. Getting tickets is a longshot, but if one of the London teams has a European match drawn April 11-13 that would be fun. I am planning to go to The Hive to see Barnet vs Wrexham on the 15th. After watching the documentary and a few matches on ESPN+ I'm looking forward to seeing them in person. Traveling to Wrexham would be so cool, but they have a match in London so that's much easier. The 18th is Millwall hosting Birmingham. The 19th is a tough decision. I'd like to see QPR host Norwich at Loftus Road but I'm also leaning towards Reading vs Luton at the Madejski. Watford also hosts Cardiff at Vicarage Road, but all three matches are simultaneous so I can only choose one. There's also the 2nd leg of the European matches that week. Assuming there are no conflicts, the 22nd Fulham hosts Leeds at Craven Cottage. The FA Cup semifinals are that weekend, but it is doubtful either of these teams will be involved and there is almost no chance I'll get tickets to a Cup semi. The 25th will be my last night in the UK and I'm hoping to spend it at the London Stadium as West Ham hosts Liverpool. Nosebleeds are $200+ but if I go through the club I can get a hospitality ticket for $400. Pricey, but worth it. The catch is they explicitly state no LFC fans are welcome, so I will just be an American tourist who loves football. Bring on the bubbles!

Comment

• Currently spectating a weird discussion on Facebook where a friend (who has some really bad takes on soccer, like “I swallowed all the Qatari propaganda” bad takes) has asserted that Premier League is overhyped, mainly due to English language and marketing reasons, and not the most entertaining league in the world.

It’s weird because he’s both very right and very wrong at the same time.

He’s right because yeah the PL is overhyped, largely due to heavy marketing by the TV networks who spend way too much money on TV rights, the marketing by the PL and clubs themselves, and the English language factor.

He’s wrong because, well, it is the most entertaining league top to bottom. And I say that as someone who doesn’t particularly enjoy the PL.

He’s continuing the bad take train by asserting that La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga are more entertaining. Which, La Liga and Ligue 1 are not anywhere close. The bottom of those two leagues are dreadful, particularly La Liga. The Bundesliga would be a better argument if Bayern didn’t ****ing win every time. Watching the Bundesliga is like watching WCW in the mid 90’s, the undercard stuff is fantastic and entertaining but the main event scene is boring AF because you know nobody is beating Hogan and takes up way too much time.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Without looking it up I'd imagine average scoring in the Bundesliga is higher than in the PM, but yes there is a lot of drama removed given that one team dominates nearly year in and year out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Without looking it up I'd imagine average scoring in the Bundesliga is higher than in the PM, but yes there is a lot of drama removed given that one team dominates nearly year in and year out.
                    Yeah, if you look at 2-16 or 17 the Bundesliga is fairly close and there’s a decent points difference and no outrageous goal differences and then you look at the top:

1. Bayern Munich P15 10W 4D 1L 34pts +36GD

Like it’s almost January and yeah they only have a four point lead with 19 games left but, it’s still pretty likely Bayern is winning again.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Without looking it up I'd imagine average scoring in the Bundesliga is higher than in the PM, but yes there is a lot of drama removed given that one team dominates nearly year in and year out.
                      Goals per game averages in Europe’s Big 5
                      1. Serie A – 3.06 goals per game
                      2. Bundesliga – 3.02 goals per game
                      3. Ligue 1 – 2.87 goals per game
                      4. Premier League – 2.75 goals per game
                      5. La Liga – 2.43 goals per game
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I would argue that the Championship (English 2nd Division) is the best league. Not in terms of quality of each player because obviously the top tier has the absolute cream of the crop, but in terms of competition and quality of each game. The difference between third place and 21st place is 12 points half way through the season. Even last place Huddersfield are only 13 points off a playoff spot with 23 games left to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Goals per game averages in Europe’s Big 5
                          1. Serie A – 3.06 goals per game
                          2. Bundesliga – 3.02 goals per game
                          3. Ligue 1 – 2.87 goals per game
                          4. Premier League – 2.75 goals per game
                          5. La Liga – 2.43 goals per game
                          I wonder where La Liga, Ligue 1, and the Bundesliga would be without Real/Barca/PSG/Bayern absolutely running up the score on some teams?

TBF, the same could be said about the PL and Man City.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• When I moved to the Philippines my local provider for about 2 years aired a lot of games from PL, Bundesliga, La Liga and Eredeivisie. This was roughly 2014-16. In my experience then the far more entertaining games overall came from Germany and Holland. fwiw of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Currently spectating a weird discussion on Facebook where a friend (who has some really bad takes on soccer, like “I swallowed all the Qatari propaganda” bad takes) has asserted that Premier League is overhyped, mainly due to English language and marketing reasons, and not the most entertaining league in the world.

It’s weird because he’s both very right and very wrong at the same time.

He’s right because yeah the PL is overhyped, largely due to heavy marketing by the TV networks who spend way too much money on TV rights, the marketing by the PL and clubs themselves, and the English language factor.

He’s wrong because, well, it is the most entertaining league top to bottom. And I say that as someone who doesn’t particularly enjoy the PL.

He’s continuing the bad take train by asserting that La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga are more entertaining. Which, La Liga and Ligue 1 are not anywhere close. The bottom of those two leagues are dreadful, particularly La Liga. The Bundesliga would be a better argument if Bayern didn’t ****ing win every time. Watching the Bundesliga is like watching WCW in the mid 90’s, the undercard stuff is fantastic and entertaining but the main event scene is boring AF because you know nobody is beating Hogan and takes up way too much time.
                              This is on point.

To continue the analogy though, you have guys like Haaland who, although on the "undercard" of the PL, are delivering A+++ promos in the middle, semi-prime parts of the show and are worth watching on their own just for that. Their stock is rising quickly and MAY be able to force their way into the Main Event discussion if this keeps up.
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

This is on point.

To continue the analogy though, you have guys like Haaland who, although on the "undercard" of the PL, are delivering A+++ promos in the middle, semi-prime parts of the show and are worth watching on their own just for that. Their stock is rising quickly and MAY be able to force their way into the Main Event discussion if this keeps up.
                                Nah, the Premier League is like WCW in 97-98. It’s nowhere near as good as it’s hyped up to be (PL marketing is essentially like Tony Schiavone saying “it’s the biggest night in the history of our sport!” every week) but it is still entertaining and somehow everyone is making a ton of money, even guys who haven’t been on TV in months.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X