Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

    People actually say that?! Do any of these people have brains?
    Oh it’s an actual ongoing debate, and a pretty heated one too. FIFA basically had to award both as “Player of the Century” to quell any controversy.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

    Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

    Comment


    • Maradona's greatest achievement would have been erased by VAR. He can take a seat.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Maradona's greatest achievement would have been erased by VAR. He can take a seat.
        Doubly so. Not just the hand ball but he was also offsides.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

        1966, 1986, 2007

        Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

          Doubly so. Not just the hand ball but he was also offsides.
          And he was likely coked up. Can VAR catch that?
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

          Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

          Comment


          • He beat England so I'll let it go.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

              And he was likely coked up. Can VAR catch that?
              A calendar can.

              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

              Comment


              • In terms of producing world class talent, where is the US now?

                I assume the top are, in some order:

                Spain
                Germany
                Brazil
                France
                Italy

                Did I forget anyone or are those clearly the top 5?

                Then there is the second tier, in some order:

                England
                Portugal
                Argentina
                Belgium
                Netherlands

                Did I forget anyone or are those the next 5?

                Then there's tier 3, in some order:

                Wales
                Denmark
                Senegal
                Nigeria
                Turkey
                Russia
                USA
                Sweden
                Turkey

                Is that right? If so, are we towards the top of tier 3 or the bottom? What is the timeframe for us displacing somebody out of tier 2? It seems clear to me by population and wealth the US could theoretically be tier 1 at some point, something say Senegal or Wales could not be. But is that something that might happen just by natural evolution or would there need to be some paradigm shift like say football becoming impossibly expensive due to insurance and litigation and dying?
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  In terms of producing world class talent, where is the US now?

                  I assume the top are, in some order:

                  Spain
                  Germany
                  Brazil
                  France
                  Italy

                  Did I forget anyone or are those clearly the top 5?

                  Then there is the second tier, in some order:

                  England
                  Portugal
                  Argentina
                  Belgium
                  Netherlands

                  Did I forget anyone or are those the next 5?

                  Then there's tier 3, in some order:

                  Wales
                  Denmark
                  Senegal
                  Nigeria
                  Turkey
                  Russia
                  USA
                  Sweden
                  Turkey

                  Is that right? If so, are we towards the top of tier 3 or the bottom? What is the timeframe for us displacing somebody out of tier 2? It seems clear to me by population and wealth the US could theoretically be tier 1 at some point, something say Senegal or Wales could not be. But is that something that might happen just by natural evolution or would there need to be some paradigm shift like say football becoming impossibly expensive due to insurance and litigation and dying?
                  In terms of ranking countries I’d put it in this order:

                  Tier 1
                  Argentina
                  Brazil
                  Germany
                  Italy
                  Spain
                  England
                  France

                  If it wasn’t for the Euros I’d put Italy in Tier 2 and honestly Spain and Germany are getting a bit wobbly too.

                  Tier 2
                  Netherlands
                  Belgium
                  Uruguay
                  Croatia
                  Portugal

                  I’m tempted to put Croatia into Tier 1 but it remains to be seen if this is a golden generation or the start of new dynasty. Belgium is probably on it’s way to Tier 3 as is Portugal but we’ll see.

                  Tier 3
                  US
                  Mexico
                  Japan
                  South Korea
                  Colombia
                  Denmark
                  Poland
                  Switzerland
                  Iran
                  Chile
                  Norway

                  Chile and Colombia are teetering here. Iran is questionable and Norway is here because of Haaland. Mexico was probably Tier 2 ten years ago, Japan and South Korea are honestly close to Tier 2. If Costa Rica had better Gold Cup performances I’d put them here too. Sweden has gone downhill post Zlatan. Wales is nowhere near without Bale. Turkey and Russia are pretty irrelevant these days.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

                  Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                  Comment


                  • For what it's worth updated rankings after the WC puts the US at 13. It will be interesting to see how USMNT fares at the Olympics. The 2022 squad was very young, but set pieces and offensive flair were elusive and that's not a recipe for ascending the ladder.

                    That said they have 4 years to hopefully figure some of that out. My fear is that if they jettison Berhalter (and/or he bolts for greener pastures/less drama) who do they turn to next?

                    JJ feel free to pick apart what little I offered up here. : )

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      For what it's worth updated rankings after the WC puts the US at 13. It will be interesting to see how USMNT fares at the Olympics. The 2022 squad was very young, but set pieces and offensive flair were elusive and that's not a recipe for ascending the ladder.

                      That said they have 4 years to hopefully figure some of that out. My fear is that if they jettison Berhalter (and/or he bolts for greener pastures/less drama) who do they turn to next?

                      JJ feel free to pick apart what little I offered up here. : )
                      I actually am going to pick apart myself. I forgot African teams in Tier 3 (that’s what I get for doing this at work on my phone). Add Ghana, Cameroon and maybe Senegal to Tier 3 (Africa is hard because it’s such a chaotic region though hopefully the World Cup expansion can stabilize that).

                      I agree with a lot of what you said. The US has really good talent in the midfield and the defensive end is getting better (young American defenders in MLS going against the bought offensive talent is worth something) but the offensive end is just a big hole, and honestly I don’t know if anyone is on the horizon. Agree on Berhalter too, if they do replace him who do you realistically replace him with?

                      The Olympics will be interesting, that U20 team looked pretty solid and we’ll see next summer at the U20 World Cup how they do. The potential of 2024 Copa America does throw a wrench into the works for that though.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

                      Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                      Comment


                      • This is funnier than it should’ve been.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

                        Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          For what it's worth updated rankings after the WC puts the US at 13.
                          Right but I was thinking of the total produced/exported talent. It seems possible to me to have a team that is markedly better than its components. Or worse.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            The whole series was great.

                            "But I'm not, and I won't."
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • It's rumored FIFA could reverse the 16 three team groups and go with 12 four team groups.

                              With the new FIFA rankings, if everyone made it based on rank:
                              Pot 1 Pot 2 Pot 3 Pot 4
                              USA - host Spain Korea Egypt
                              Mexico - host Morocco Ukraine Mali
                              Canada - host Switzerland Australia Ivory Coast
                              Brazil Germany Wales Saudi Arabia
                              Argentina Uruguay Tunisia Qatar
                              France Colombia Serbia Panama
                              Belgium Denmark Chile Jamaica
                              England Senegal Costa Rica Iraq
                              Netherlands Japan Cameroon UAE
                              Croatia Peru Austria New Zealand
                              Italy Sweden Nigeria P1 - Ecuador
                              Portugal Iran Algeria P2 - Burkina Faso
                              Then we have the two playoffs. UEFA gets no playoff spots. CONCACAF gets two. Everyone else gets one. The top two teams are seeded and then the others are randomly assigned. Not sure if they would put the CONCACAF teams in the same bracket, but I'm separating them.

                              Playoff 1 -
                              Ecuador vs El Salvador/Solomon Islands

                              Playoff 2 -
                              Burkina Faso vs Honduras/Oman

                              There isn't much of a drop off in the African teams until you get to Burkina Faso in the playoff. Otherwise you get the usual rotation, plus Mali finally gets in after dominating all the youth tournaments. CONCACAF gets the whole Hex in, so I there's some drop off at the end, but it's basically a copy of the fourth team that gets in most of the time anyway. The only major drop offs are the mass of Asian teams in Pot 4, plus New Zealand with Oceania finally getting an autobid.
                              Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 12-19-2022, 09:54 PM.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                              1966, 1986, 2007

                              Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                                Right but I was thinking of the total produced/exported talent. It seems possible to me to have a team that is markedly better than its components. Or worse.
                                If you’re trying to rank countries by total produced and exported talent then Brazil is #1 with a bullet then a huge gulf to maybe Argentina or Germany at #2.

                                I’d be willing to bet there’s a Brazilian playing professionally in 90% of the countries on Earth.

                                I’d also bet you could take a team of Brazilians with zero caps to the World Cup and have a better showing than Qatar.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

                                Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X