X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

:-)

yeaterday on bein after the game they were talking about 2026 and kept saying “Mexico” (for the location)

two days ago in the world service an Arab football commentator was on talking how Qatar isn’t good and probably won’t even qualify for 2026 “in Mexico”
    How dare they forget about Canada!

Asia is getting 8 freaking spots in 2026. I’m sure Qatar can get past *checks notes* Iraq or Oman.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Because the powers that be tolerate it. The only thing stopping the referees from just passing out yellows for dissent is that fact. They want these games to finish 11 v 11. As long people keep watching, that’s all that matters.
      Start doing it in club and qualifying and it’ll clean it up for the bigger games, no?

I know at the end of the day FIFA only cares about the dollars, but their officials take the most abuse by far. All sports have their stories about officials being attacked (maybe sans volleyball, can’t recall hearing anything from that sport), but soccer is the only one that seems to have regular deaths happen from attacks on referees. And that all trickles down from the top.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Asia is getting 8 freaking spots in 2026. I’m sure Qatar can get past *checks notes* Iraq or Oman.
        CONCACAF qualifying is going to be all messed up. Six slots, but three go to the hosts. So they’re really only getting three slots this time around not counting the potential playoff winners which could give them five slots.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I can only name 6 that would possibly qualify....
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• I wouldn't stop watching 11 v 10. In fact I'd probably be more tuned in.

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

I can only name 6 that would possibly qualify....
              So I’ve got the usual suspects: Japan, South Korea, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Iran. Could probably add in the UAE and Qatar. After that it’s a crapshoot. China and North Korea, Iraq, Syria, maybe Kuwait or Uzbekistan.

Needless to say, 2026 is going to have some absolute laughers.
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

CONCACAF qualifying is going to be all messed up. Six slots, but three go to the hosts. So they’re really only getting three slots this time around not counting the potential playoff winners which could give them five slots.
                Imagine the Oct from this year’s qualifying but no US or Mexico. CONCACAF s-housery distilled to its purest form.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Here is a question that ran through my mind last night, and honestly, I couldn't come up with any names.

Has there ever been a player, in any sport, in the final (championship) game of that sport, who had a better performance than Mbappe had, and lost. I'm not even a big soccer guy, and it didn't bother me to see Messi win, but I sort of felt bad for Mbappe.

It's like throwing for six touchdowns in the Super Bowl and going down hard.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Here is a question that ran through my mind last night, and honestly, I couldn't come up with any names.

Has there ever been a player, in any sport, in the final (championship) game of that sport, who had a better performance than Mbappe had, and lost. I'm not even a big soccer guy, and it didn't bother me to see Messi win, but I sort of felt bad for Mbappe.

Along those lines, a question for the people who follow soccer closer than I do, as much as we were hearing about Messi being the GOAT, when all is said and done, could he have not even been the best player on the pitch yesterday, with Mbappe being there, by the time their careers are over. Given what Mbappe did last WC and how he almost pulled off something crazier this time, and he's only 23, how difficult would it be for him to eventually eclipse Messi? Granted this is only looking at WC; how do their club accomplishments stack up?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Has there ever been a player, in any sport, in the final (championship) game of that sport, who had a better performance than Mbappe had, and lost.
                      This is a great question from a Blocked poster.

My research turns up Jerry West in the 1969 NBA Game 7.

Chuck Howley won Super Bowl V MVP, and was the first defensive player to win it, but he was playing for the Colts.

Bob May at the 2000 PGA Championship is another choice, if that counts as the championship.

Last edited by Kepler; 12-19-2022, 11:47 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Here is a question that ran through my mind last night, and honestly, I couldn't come up with any names.

That's a really good question. Greatest Show on Turf comes to mind. Came up a yard short IIRC. Not sure what individual performances were like.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Not *the* finals, but Jordan scoring 63 in a 1986 playoff loss to the Celtics is up there.

Marty Barrett was batting over .400 and was poised to win the 1986 World Series MVP until that little dribbler up along first...

In game five of the 1996 World Series, John Smoltz lost 1-0 with the only run being the result of an error.

Comment

• Dirk Graham had a hat trick in a cup finals loss (sweep).

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/game/6-...it-@-chi-29061
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Allen Bourbeau had a hat trick in Harvard's 6-5 overtime loss to Michigan State in the 1986 NCAA Final.

I can't recall if it was Bourbeau or a teammate who took it in the tower on 9/11.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Not *the* finals, but Jordan scoring 63 in a 1986 playoff loss to the Celtics is up there.

Marty Barrett was batting over .400 and was poised to win the 1986 World Series MVP until that little dribbler up along first...

In game five of the 1996 World Series, John Smoltz lost 1-0 with the only run being the result of an error.
                                Wasn't it smoltz who also lost game 7 of '91? Pitched 7.1 shutout innings and his relievers held another 1.2 innings of shutout.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X