Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post

It may be.. but for the US.. we've never advanced when losing game 1
    This makes sense though, given the first match is 4/1 or 3/2. Either we're a 4 so we suck, or we're a 3 or 2 who just lost to our immediate competitor.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      To me, and mind you this is with just a passing knowledge of the various teams, this wasn't a great result but also wasn't a bad result, it was what you would expect from a tie. It was good how strong they looked in the first half, especially for a young team; it was bad in that it felt like they had a chance to win it but had to settle for the tie. My understanding is that England is probably the best team in our group, Iran the worst, and us and Wales are fighting for that second spot; so a tie doesn't gain us ground but doesn't lose us ground; stealing a point from England becomes very key; also getting to play Iran last, knowing what goal differential we need, is also key. But still have to play the games.
      Too lazy to look, but isn’t our Iran game ate the same time as England-Wales? So we won’t know if England thrashes them 8-0 or squeaks out a win. Each of those goals is exactly as important as the goals in our Iran game.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Meanwhile, the captains of all seven European teams were planning to wear rainbow armbands but were told by FIFA that any such thing would warrant a yellow card at kickoff, so all seven backed down.

Uruguay have been banned from the World Cup because "Your name is just too close and might offend our hosts in Qatar."

The entire Belgian team was told not to wear shirts with the word "love" embroidered on the collar.

Kevin Love has been barred from attending any games. Music by Bob Marley, the Beatles, Elton John and any other artist who ever mentioned love has likewise been silenced.

Fans from the United States were temporarily blocked from entering the stadium for today's USA-Wales match because they were wearing rainbow shirts. They had to remove the shirts in order to enter the stadium.

Two men were arrested and given a two year prison sentence for holding hands and embracing after Gareth Bale converted his penalty kick. FIFA president
        Gianni Infantino hailed this as a step forward for Qatar and the entire world, because that kind of deviant behavior normally would result in a five year sentence.

Only half of the above stories are fake. The other half really happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

This makes sense though, given the first match is 4/1 or 3/2. Either we're a 4 so we suck, or we're a 3 or 2 who just lost to our immediate competitor.
          That’s actually not how it works.

The seeded Pot 1 teams are placed into spot 1 in their group automatically but the other three are placed into 2-4 based on a random draw.

And Pots by FIFA rankings is relatively new, only started in 2018. Before that the Pots were based on Confederations (Asia and CONCACAF a typical pairing).
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            1-1 draw.

Iran breathes a sigh of a relief.
            How so? If I were Iran, I’d be going, “****, we just gave up 6 goals and now Wales and the US will try to put up 17 each….”
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

How so? If I were Iran, I’d be going, “****, we just gave up 6 goals and now Wales and the US will try to put up 17 each….”
              The US and Wales aren’t England, so unless they get up early and make Iran open up I don’t think they can do the damage England did today.

More importantly from Iran’s perspective, a win by the US or Wales would’ve likely meant needing to beat both given their goal differential. Now they can park the bus and aim for a draw and a 1-0 win and have a good chance at advancing. As long as England doesn’t lose, Iran just needs four points to secure a knockout spot, even if it means a -3 differential.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Too lazy to look, but isn’t our Iran game ate the same time as England-Wales? So we won’t know if England thrashes them 8-0 or squeaks out a win. Each of those goals is exactly as important as the goals in our Iran game.
                I was assuming both US and Wales lose to England and beat Iran, so we would be able to see if they squeaked by Iran or demolished them, and could react accordingly. True that also depends on how much England beat Wales by, but I'm assuming both US and Wales lose to England by a goal or two. Of course all of this is pointlessly hypothetical and all and a waste of time to speculate on. The point being, I'd rather be able to see what Wales did to Iran before playing them ourselves than vice-versa.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  That’s actually not how it works.

The seeded Pot 1 teams are placed into spot 1 in their group automatically but the other three are placed into 2-4 based on a random draw.

And Pots by FIFA rankings is relatively new, only started in 2018. Before that the Pots were based on Confederations (Asia and CONCACAF a typical pairing).
                  I realized a while after I posted that that England-Iran isn’t even Pot 1 vs 4 so that all fell apart quickly.

Still would be a cool deep dive into the initial match-ups to see how much of it is simply the good teams being good. Seems like the perfect story for 538, but they’ve had a total of three soccer stories the last two weeks.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Sorry but Iran was not helped by the draw at all since neither Wales nor the US will lose to England by 4+.

Comment

• So, uh

Argentina vs. Saudi Arabia - Football Match Summary - November 22, 2022 - ESPN
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Talk about message boards melting down. If I could read Spanish, the Argentinian fan message boards must be a hoot.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Holy ****
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I guess a draw isn't so bad...
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• The announcing team on FS1 sounds like they absolutely hate each other and hate the conditions over there.

"THere's no wifi. Which is juuuuuuuuuuuust greaaat."
                              Later, something to the effect of
                              "We still have to work with each other for five more games, it's going to get less and less polite I guess"
                              Code:
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                I guess a draw isn't so bad...
                                #3 in the world rankings lost to #51.
                                #10 looks even with #30.

Interesting results today as of this moment.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X