Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brentford wins a league match @ Man City for the first time since 1937.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
      Brentford wins a league match @ Man City for the first time since 1937.
      Amazing result!

How many meetings, though? Some of these squads miss each other for decades on end.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Amazing result!

How many meetings, though? Some of these squads miss each other for decades on end.
        Since their last W Christmas day 1937 they haven't played that many "league" matches.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/brentfor...hester%20City/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          I think Celtic is good for it.

Funny enough, that fine was larger than the one for this:
          Can't make out what's hanging there.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
            Can't make out what's hanging there.
            It's Mussolini.

That was against Lazio.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by jimjamesak View Post
              it's mussolini.

That was against lazio.
              lofl!!

Comment

• Today's Copa del Rey match between Getafe and (4th division side) San Roque went to extra time. Getafe scored early to lead 3-2. In the 114' the ball went to the SR keeper. He threw the ball towards midfield to try to start a counterattack (think Team USA in 2010 World Cup). A Getafe forward ran at the keeper and raised his hands above his head and swatted the ball out of midair as it passed. No card. Not even a foul. What??? Deliberate handball to delay the opposition and deny the potential for a scoring opportunity (granted, it was only potential, but still). How is that possibly not a foul and at the very least a yellow for deliberately handling the ball?

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  Today's Copa del Rey match between Getafe and (4th division side) San Roque went to extra time. Getafe scored early to lead 3-2. In the 114' the ball went to the SR keeper. He threw the ball towards midfield to try to start a counterattack (think Team USA in 2010 World Cup). A Getafe forward ran at the keeper and raised his hands above his head and swatted the ball out of midair as it passed. No card. Not even a foul. What??? Deliberate handball to delay the opposition and deny the potential for a scoring opportunity (granted, it was only potential, but still). How is that possibly not a foul and at the very least a yellow for deliberately handling the ball?
                  I’d have to see the video but what you described sounds like a yellow for “intentionally handling the ball”. It’s certainly not DOGSO as you can’t have an obvious scoring opportunity in your own penalty area.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I’d have to see the video but what you described sounds like a yellow for “intentionally handling the ball”. It’s certainly not DOGSO as you can’t have an obvious scoring opportunity in your own penalty area.
                    Could you give two yellow cards for one play? It was egregious time delay, in addition to deliberately handling. I know that would be unusual and harsh, but I was stunned it wasn't even a foul. So was the play-by-play guy.

I also had this thought yesterday during a match in premier league: what if there is a foul for which the referee wants to give a yellow card but plays advantage. During that advantage the same player commits another foul which the referee deems a yellow card offense? Is that a two yellows=red? Straight red? Or would the referee only issue one yellow?

Comment

Could you give two yellow cards for one play? It was egregious time delay, in addition to deliberately handling. I know that would be unusual and harsh, but I was stunned it wasn't even a foul. So was the play-by-play guy.

I also had this thought yesterday during a match in premier league: what if there is a foul for which the referee wants to give a yellow card but plays advantage. During that advantage the same player commits another foul which the referee deems a yellow card offense? Is that a two yellows=red? Straight red? Or would the referee only issue one yellow?
                      I’ll separate the answers:

1. No. There are reasons (8 of them) listed for giving cautions and the “delay” one is written “delaying the restart of play”. Since, in this case, the ball was in play the only caution would be for “Unsporting Behavior” for intentionally handling the ball.

2. Yes. And no. It depends on what the reason for the caution would be. If it would’ve been for what is called “stopping a promising attack” and advantage was applied then it would negate the caution (because then the attack is not technically “stopped”). But, if it was for a “reckless challenge” or some other reason, and then the player committed another cautionable offense then yes the player could be shown both yellows and sent off (and yes this has happened).

Fun advantage situation: If a player commits a sending off offense (say a violent tackle) and the referee applies advantage (which, to be fair, would be very rare), if the player who would be sent off plays the ball or interferes in some way then play is immediately stopped, the player is sent off and the other team gets an indirect free kick.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I’ll separate the answers:

1. No. There are reasons (8 of them) listed for giving cautions and the “delay” one is written “delaying the restart of play”. Since, in this case, the ball was in play the only caution would be for “Unsporting Behavior” for intentionally handling the ball.

2. Yes. And no. It depends on what the reason for the caution would be. If it would’ve been for what is called “stopping a promising attack” and advantage was applied then it would negate the caution (because then the attack is not technically “stopped”). But, if it was for a “reckless challenge” or some other reason, and then the player committed another cautionable offense then yes the player could be shown both yellows and sent off (and yes this has happened).

Fun advantage situation: If a player commits a sending off offense (say a violent tackle) and the referee applies advantage (which, to be fair, would be very rare), if the player who would be sent off plays the ball or interferes in some way then play is immediately stopped, the player is sent off and the other team gets an indirect free kick.
                        Thank you for the explanations!

Comment

Thank you for the explanations!
                          You’re welcome!

As a referee, getting to talk about situations like these is a form of entertainment.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• USWNT break the three game skid with a 2-1 win over Germany tonight. Avoids the first ever four game losing streak.

They have Nigeria next so that should start a new winning streak.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

You’re welcome!

As a referee, getting to talk about situations like these is a form of entertainment.
                              This has me thinking now. Could a player get two straight reds in an advantage situation?
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• I tape the Brighton match because my grandkid's had flag football playoffs. Granddaughter's team lost in the semi's but her soccer team won the championship yesterday. My grandson's team goes undefeated in the regular season, wins two playoff game but loses the championship to....the Patriots. The loss was really water off a ducks back to both of them
                                Turn on the BHA match and they play like *looks at MLS standings* Cincinnati. Lose 2-1 at home, AV's second goal was off a Brighton player, they had 7 shots(2 on target), 25 fouls were called(14 on BHA), and the ref wore out his yellow card handing out 9(7 of them to AV). The 6 weeks of for WC should give them something to think about.

Comment

Working...
                                X