This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I always forget that the 1950 World Cup didn't have a Final.

Of the 5 countries that have hosted the World Cup twice (Mexico, Italy, France, Germany, and Brazil), Mexico and Brazil are the only ones not to have won the World Cup at least once (Mexico, of course, has never even reached the Semifinals, let alone win the World Cup). The US will likely be added to this list following 2026...although I would love to be proven wrong.
    You never really know with a host nation sometimes. France was coming off not qualifying in 1990 and 1994 before winning in 1998 (though they finished fourth and third in 1982 and 1986).

Though most of the “host nation wins” are more examples of corruption and cheating than “great play inspired by home crowds”.

1934: Mussolini basically interfered in everything.
    1966: The English organizers are reported to have tipped the scales with referee selections among other smaller controversies. The quarterfinal match against Argentina is good example of this.
    1974: Not so much corruption but CONCACAF-style s-thousing by the Germans. They overwatered the field before the final to slow down the Dutch and the PK awarded to Germany is considered highly questionable.
    1978: The World Cup that should not have happened. The Argentine military government basically interfered in everything, the biggest being a match between Argentina and Peru largely believed to be fixed by both governments.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      You never really know with a host nation sometimes. France was coming off not qualifying in 1990 and 1994 before winning in 1998 (though they finished fourth and third in 1982 and 1986).

Though most of the “host nation wins” are more examples of corruption and cheating than “great play inspired by home crowds”.

1934: Mussolini basically interfered in everything.
      1966: The English organizers are reported to have tipped the scales with referee selections among other smaller controversies. The quarterfinal match against Argentina is good example of this.
      1974: Not so much corruption but CONCACAF-style s-thousing by the Germans. They overwatered the field before the final to slow down the Dutch and the PK awarded to Germany is considered highly questionable.
      1978: The World Cup that should not have happened. The Argentine military government basically interfered in everything, the biggest being a match between Argentina and Peru largely believed to be fixed by both governments.
      I'm fairly familiar with the 1966, 1974, and 1978 "controversies" (my father-in-law is Brazilian and occasionally subscribes to the theory that, at minimum, the '66 and '74 World Cups were rigged and that Brazil should have won 5-straight World Cups...which I believe was also championed by the corrupt Joao Havalange). I am not familiar with the issues with the 1934 World Cup.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I'm fairly familiar with the 1966, 1974, and 1978 "controversies" (my father-in-law is Brazilian and occasionally subscribes to the theory that, at minimum, the '66 and '74 World Cups were rigged and that Brazil should have won 5-straight World Cups...which I believe was also championed by the corrupt Joao Havalange). I am not familiar with the issues with the 1934 World Cup.
        According to the Wikipedia article (bad source I know):
        Throughout the years, several sources have reported that the tournament was marred by bribery and corruption, and could have been influenced by Italian dictator Benito Mussolini, who used the tournament as a propaganda tool for fascism. According to these accusations, Mussolini personally selected referees for the matches where the Italian national team were playing, while the Italian government meddled in FIFA's organisation of events, re-organizing the logistics of the matches to further promote fascism.
        It should be said, Italy did win the Olympics in 1936 and the next World Cup in 1938.
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

No QF or SF in Canada or Mexico?

Where's the 3rd place game?
          Correct. That's how the bid was initially put in. Everyone knew this from the start.

This is basically a USA World Cup, with Canada and Mexico thrown in for "good measure."
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• I think South Korea's 2002 run shows what "home field" can do. There weren't any shenanigans around that of which I am aware of....
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              I think South Korea's 2002 run shows what "home field" can do. There weren't any shenanigans around that of which I am aware of....
              No shenanigans at all…

On that note, Ronaldinho’s goal against England is now 20 years old. I don’t think anything could’ve stopped Brazil from winning that World Cup. Everyone else was playing for second that entire tournament.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Also, fun fact: The 2002 World Cup Quarterfinals featured teams from five different continents, the only one ever.

Europe: England, Germany, Spain, and Turkey
                Africa: Senegal
                Asia: South Korea
                North America: US
                South America: Brazil
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Also, fun fact: The 2002 World Cup Quarterfinals featured teams from five different continents, the only one ever.

Europe: England, Germany, Spain, and Turkey
                  Africa: Senegal
                  Asia: South Korea
                  North America: US
                  South America: Brazil
                  The US got jobbed against Germany that year - the handball on the line that went uncalled was brutal.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

The US got jobbed against Germany that year - the handball on the line that went uncalled was brutal.
                    I have an uncontrollable moment of anger/disgust whenever I see or hear the name Hugh Dallas or Torsten Frings…

The officiating in that tournament was terrible with a few moments of brilliance (Collina, Brian Hall from the US, the Portuguese referee in the US-Mexico game).
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• The last two friendlies were announced for September:

Japan somewhere in the US on 09/23 and Saudi Arabia in Murcia, Spain on 09/27
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        The last two friendlies were announced for September:

Japan somewhere in the US on 09/23 and Saudi Arabia in Murcia, Spain on 09/27
                        Both games will be in Europe. Sounds like the Japan game will be somewhere in Germany, probably Dusseldorf.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Gareth Bale -> LAFC via free transfer.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Both games will be in Europe. Sounds like the Japan game will be somewhere in Germany, probably Dusseldorf.
                            That feels very ww2-ish. Hope we win again!
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Gareth Bale -> LAFC via free transfer.
                              And not as a Designated Player apparently. Welp, ****.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Gareth Bale -> LAFC via free transfer.
                                Good god, MLS. Is George Best's corpse available?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X