Happy birthday, America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy birthday, America

You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
    The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
    • He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
    • He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
    • He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
    • He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
    • He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
    • He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
    • He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
    • He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.
    • He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
    • He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.
    • He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
    • He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.
    • He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
    • For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
    • For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
    • For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
    • For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
    • For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:
    • For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:
    • For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies
    • For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
    • For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
    • He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.
    • He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.
    • He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
    • He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.
    • He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

New Hampshire:
    Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton

Massachusetts:
    John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry

Rhode Island:
    Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery

Connecticut:
    Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott

New York:
    William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris

New Jersey:
    Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark

Pennsylvania:
    Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross

Delaware:
    Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean

Maryland:
    Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Virginia:
    George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton

North Carolina:
    William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn

South Carolina:
    Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton

Georgia:
    Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-04-2019, 01:03 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Re: Happy birthday, America

We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end? I cried my eyes out. So we're all dogfaces, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to enlist in the Army. We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're soldiers. But we're American soldiers! We've been kicking *** for 200 years! We're 10 and 1!
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Go back to bed America, everything is okay. Watch more Gordon Ramsey, it’s Oh So Social!! Also, forget about selling arms to Saudi Arabia who turns and uses them to blow up Yemenese people for, well, nothing but fun I guess. Go back to bed America, we’re the white hats in a bad bad world (cough, Henry Ford building engines for nazi tanks and trucks, J.P. Morgan lending millions to nazi’s, Prescott Bush endorsing Hitler for chancellor, Allen Dulles killing JFK, Operation Paperclip, overthrow of Mossadegh, Arbenz, Sukarno, etc installation of Wall Street friendly dictators throughout Latin America, murders of,...ah **** it, where’s my Pepsi, all I wanted was a Pepsi and she wouldn’t give it to me!).

https://t.co/KnzfNfMjZH?amp=1
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The view from a different seat:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
        dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
        angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
        who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities contemplating jazz,
        who bared their brains to Heaven under the El and saw Mohammedan angels staggering on tenement roofs illuminated,
        who passed through universities with radiant cool eyes hallucinating Arkansas and Blake-light tragedy among the scholars of war,
        who were expelled from the academies for crazy & publishing obscene odes on the windows of the skull,
        who cowered in unshaven rooms in underwear, burning their money in wastebaskets and listening to the Terror through the wall,
        who got busted in their pubic beards returning through Laredo with a belt of marijuana for New York,
        who ate fire in paint hotels or drank turpentine in Paradise Alley, death, or purgatoried their torsos night after night
        with dreams, with drugs, with waking nightmares, alcohol and cock and endless balls,
        incomparable blind streets of shuddering cloud and lightning in the mind leaping toward poles of Canada & Paterson, illuminating all the motionless world of Time between

. . .

What sphinx of cement and aluminum bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination?
        Moloch! Solitude! Filth! Ugliness! Ashcans and unobtainable dollars! Children screaming under the stairways! Boys sobbing in armies! Old men weeping in the parks!
        Moloch! Moloch! Nightmare of Moloch! Moloch the loveless! Mental Moloch! Moloch the heavy judger of men!
        Moloch the incomprehensible prison! Moloch the crossbone soulless jailhouse and Congress of sorrows! Moloch whose buildings are judgment! Moloch the vast stone of war! Moloch the stunned governments!
        Moloch whose mind is pure machinery! Moloch whose blood is running money! Moloch whose fingers are ten armies! Moloch whose breast is a cannibal dynamo! Moloch whose ear is a smoking tomb!
        Moloch whose eyes are a thousand blind windows! Moloch whose skyscrapers stand in the long streets like endless Jehovahs! Moloch whose factories dream and croak in the fog! Moloch whose smoke-stacks and antennae crown the cities!
        Moloch whose love is endless oil and stone! Moloch whose soul is electricity and banks! Moloch whose poverty is the specter of genius! Moloch whose fate is a cloud of sexless hydrogen! Moloch whose name is the Mind!
        Moloch in whom I sit lonely! Moloch in whom I dream Angels! Crazy in Moloch! ********** in Moloch! Lacklove and manless in Moloch!
        Moloch who entered my soul early! Moloch in whom I am a consciousness without a body! Moloch who frightened me out of my natural ecstasy! Moloch whom I abandon! Wake up in Moloch! Light streaming out of the sky!
        Moloch! Moloch! Robot apartments! invisible suburbs! skeleton treasuries! blind capitals! demonic industries! spectral nations! invincible madhouses! granite cocks! monstrous bombs!
        They broke their backs lifting Moloch to Heaven! Pavements, trees, radios, tons! lifting the city to Heaven which exists and is everywhere about us!
        Visions! omens! hallucinations! miracles! ecstasies! gone down the American river!

Comment

How many would be willing to pledge their Lives, Fortunes, and Sacred Honor today?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            How many would be willing to pledge their Lives, Fortunes, and Sacred Honor today?
            I suspect many, if that oath were used to protect the concepts described in the Declaration. Probably not so many if that oath were used for the benefit of the wealthy and powerful.

Comment

Sing a song of america
              Once she was a young girl with her heart on fire
              Born in the dust of the magic of history
              It all goes on yeah the dream goes on

Streets of gold
              Streets of wonder
              Streets of people growing stronger
              Revolution and voices of thunder
              It's a
              New world, new people
              New dreams for all of the children
              Young country, new love
              New dreams of freedom

And it all goes on
              Yes it all goes on
              And it all goes on
              In america
              In america

In the streets of america
              Back in the summer of '85
              I met a young girl, her heart was in flames
              Jenny bowen was her name
              She was a california girl
              War had changed her whole world
              Her daddy died in vietnam
              She lost her husband in lebanon
              She was drivin' back to washington
              To get a medal for the job they'd done
              From the president of the united fuvkin' states of america

And she saw hungry people in the streets
              Young mothers who could not eat
              Oh I remember american dreams
              We've all talked of american dreams

And it all goes on
              Yes the dreams go on
              And it all goes on
              In america
              In america
              In america
              In america

Something's happening in america
              Can you feel it? Can you feel it comin'?
              It's like the green party in germany
              Young people with visions and dreams
              In nicaragua n' chile, poland and south africa
              Freedom brewing, it's an uphill dream

Don't be afraid of anything
              Don't be afraid of anyone

Young men are dreaming and
              Young girls believing
              And asking questions like

Where are the frontiers?
              How do I get there?
              There are no maps, there are no roads
              Just you and me on these streets of gold

And it all goes on
              Yes it all goes on
              And it all goes on
              And on and on and on and on and on
              And on and on and on
              Streets of america
              Streets of america... Go on
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I would, without hesitation. The thing is though, we're not threatened by any foreign entity. The true threats to our nation, our "way of life," are almost all entirely from within and commonly referred to as "the 1 per cent." I got no problem at all waging any kind of war I can against those folks.

Comment

I
                  Under the makeshift arbor of leaves
                  a hot wind blowing smoke and laughter.
                  Music out of the renegade west,
                  too harsh and loud, many dark faces
                  moved among the sweating whites.

II
                  Wandering apart from the others,
                  I found an old Indian seated alone
                  on a bench in the flickering shade.

He was holding a dented bucket;
                  three crayfish, lifting themselves
                  from the muddy water, stirred
                  and scraped against the greasy metal.

III
                  The old man stared from his wrinkled
                  darkness across the celebration,
                  unblinking, as one might see
                  in the hooded sleep of turtles.

A smile out of the ages of gold
                  and carbon flashed upon his face
                  and vanished, called away
                  by the sound and the glare around him,
                  by the lost voice of a child
                  piercing that thronged solitude.

IV
                  The afternoon gathered distance
                  and depth, divided in the shadows
                  that broke and moved upon us . . .

Slowly, too slowly, as if returned
                  from a long and difficult journey,
                  the old man lifted his bucket
                  and walked away into the sunlit crowd.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The reading this morning is good.

I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear,
                    Those of mechanics, each one singing his as it should be blithe and strong,
                    The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam,
                    The mason singing his as he makes ready for work, or leaves off work,
                    The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat, the deckhand singing on the steamboat deck,
                    The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing as he stands,
                    The wood-cutter’s song, the ploughboy’s on his way in the morning, or at noon intermission or at sundown,
                    The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at work, or of the girl sewing or washing,
                    Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else,
                    The day what belongs to the day—at night the party of young fellows, robust, friendly,
                    Singing with open mouths their strong melodious songs.

Comment

From Steppenwolf (c) 1970

Once the religious, the hunted and weary
                      Chasing the promise of freedom and hope
                      Came to this country to build a new vision
                      Far from the reaches of Kingdom and pope

Like good Christians some would burn the witches
                      Later some got slaves to gather riches

But still from near and far to seek America
                      They came by thousands, to court the wild
                      But she just patiently smiled and bore a child
                      To be their spirit and guiding light

And once the ties with the crown had been broken
                      Westward in saddle and wagon it went
                      And till the railroad linked ocean to ocean
                      Many the lives which had come to an end

While we bullied, stole and bought a homeland
                      We began the slaughter of the red man

They came by thousands to court the wild

The Blue and Grey they stomped it
                      They kicked it just like a dog
                      And when the war was over
                      They stuffed it just like a hog

And though the past has its share of injustice
                      Kind was the spirit in many a way
                      But its protectors and friends have been sleeping
                      Now it's a monster and will not obey

The spirit was freedom and justice
                      And its keepers seemed generous and kind
                      Its leaders were supposed to serve the country
                      But now they won't pay it no mind
                      Cause the people grew fat and got lazy
                      Now their vote is a meaningless joke
                      They babble about law and order
                      But it's all just an echo of what they've been told

Yeah, there's a monster on the loose
                      It's got our heads into the noose
                      And it just sits there watchin'

The cities have turned into jungles
                      And corruption is stranglin' the land
                      The police force is watching the people
                      And the people just can't understand

We don't know how to mind our own business
                      'Cause the whole world's got to be just like us
                      Now we are fighting a war over there
                      No matter who's the winner we can't pay the cost

'Cause there's a monster on the loose

America, where are you now
                      Don't you care about your sons and daughters
                      Don't you know we need you now
                      We can't fight alone against the monster

America...America...America...America...
                      Last edited by joecct; 07-04-2019, 01:56 PM.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Not standing for the flag or anthem because "with liberty and justice for all" doesn't include me.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

From Steppenwolf (c) 1970

Once the religious, the hunted and weary
                          Chasing the promise of freedom and hope
                          Came to this country to build a new vision
                          Far from the reaches of Kingdom and pope

Like good Christians some would burn the witches
                          Later some got slaves to gather riches

They came by thousands, to court the wild

And once the ties with the crown had been broken
                          Westward in saddle and wagon it went
                          And till the railroad linked ocean to ocean
                          Many the lives which had come to an end

While we bullied, stole and bought a homeland
                          We began the slaughter of the red man

They came by thousands to court the wild

The Blue and Grey they stomped it
                          They kicked it just like a dog
                          And when the war was over
                          They stuffed it just like a hog

And though the past has its share of injustice
                          Kind was the spirit in many a way
                          But its protectors and friends have been sleeping
                          Now it's a monster and will not obey

The spirit was freedom and justice
                          And its keepers seemed generous and kind
                          Its leaders were supposed to serve the country
                          But now they won't pay it no mind
                          Cause the people grew fat and got lazy
                          Now their vote is a meaningless joke
                          They babble about law and order
                          But it's all just an echo of what they've been told

Yeah, there's a monster on the loose

The cities have turned into jungles
                          And corruption is stranglin' the land
                          The police force is watching the people
                          And the people just can't understand

We don't know how to mind our own business
                          'Cause the whole world's got to be just like us
                          Now we are fighting a war over there
                          No matter who's the winner we can't pay the cost

'Cause there's a monster on the loose

America...America...America...America...
                          This must've been the end of Steppenwolf's career outside of hardcore hippiedom.

Comment

https://youtu.be/ec0XKhAHR5I
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              Truth

Comment

Working...
                              X