Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space exploration: Where do we go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    No matter how many times I see the landing on Of Course I Still Love You, I am still blown away.

Start at about -48.00

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Meet WASP-76b.

Turns out, it doesn't rain iron, the iron vapor just forms clouds. Iron clouds. JFC.
    Jesus ferrous Christ.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Meet WASP-76b.

In March of 2020, initial spectroscopic findings indicated the presence of neutral iron. Therefore, if the temperature on Wasp-76b could reach 2,400 C (2,700 K; 4,400 F), hot enough to vaporize neutral iron and cold enough to condense the vapor to 1,400 C (1,700 K; 2,600 F) the neutral iron could rain down like a liquid.
    Turns out, it doesn't rain iron, the iron vapor just forms clouds. Iron clouds. JFC.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Russian Cosmonauts flew to the ISS mid-December and a micro-meteorite nicked the coolant system of their Soyuz capsule cause it to be useless.

Good news, there is enough supplies for the seven residents in the ISS. Bad news, thanks to the privatization of US space flight, rescuing the crew from the ISS will have to rely on Russian Soyuz capsules, and not Musk's SpaceX Dragon capsules.

Why? Because SpaceX uses custom fit flight suits for each of its astronauts, and there are zero flight suits made for the current astronauts at the ISS, despite the Dragon capsule having room for seven people.

Also, the dependability (or even ability) for Soyuz to dock to the ISS automatically and unmanned has been called into question. Which means at least one Cosmonaut would need to pilot the new Soyuz up, which would strand one of the existing crew longer than planned until another short crewed Soyuz could take the remaining crew home.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/week...outputType=amp

I'd just like to add: **** Elon Musk and **** SpaceX.
    One should note that the crews were of mixed nationality- the Russian craft took up an American, and the last Dragon took up a Russian.

But yea, they should be able to adapt.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Russian Cosmonauts flew to the ISS mid-December and a micro-meteorite nicked the coolant system of their Soyuz capsule cause it to be useless.

Good news, there is enough supplies for the seven residents in the ISS. Bad news, thanks to the privatization of US space flight, rescuing the crew from the ISS will have to rely on Russian Soyuz capsules, and not Musk's SpaceX Dragon capsules.

Why? Because SpaceX uses custom fit flight suits for each of its astronauts, and there are zero flight suits made for the current astronauts at the ISS, despite the Dragon capsule having room for seven people.

Also, the dependability (or even ability) for Soyuz to dock to the ISS automatically and unmanned has been called into question. Which means at least one Cosmonaut would need to pilot the new Soyuz up, which would strand one of the existing crew longer than planned until another short crewed Soyuz could take the remaining crew home.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/week...outputType=amp

I'd just like to add: **** Elon Musk and **** SpaceX.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    This joke went over my head
    The Prancing Horse has not distinguished itself with good strategic decisions lately.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Be glad Ferrari wasn't in the control room.
    This joke went over my head

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    That was the first time I've seen a NASA capsule return to earth.

very cool. I didn't know it was going to do banking maneuvers.
    Be glad Ferrari wasn't in the control room.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    High res will come later it is going to be amazing.
    I kept saying that. "I can't wait until they download the videos and publish them."

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    That was the first time I've seen a NASA capsule return to earth.

very cool. I didn't know it was going to do banking maneuvers.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Perfect splashdown!

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Seeing the chutes deploy is cool.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    High res will come later it is going to be amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    This coverage is amazing. We've actually come a ways since 1973.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Is that white circle parachute deploy?

Edit: nm it's the cap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X