Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space exploration: Where do we go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubled?! Whoa
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Also, I was curious and literally laughed out loud when this came up before I even had a chance to finish

edit: ok, the answer is no and hilariously no because I didn't realize that KSP simplified the universe so much. I mean, OBVIOUSLY it's simplified, but down to where you are only ever acted upon by one other body.

BUT, you can change that with a mod that does the full n-body calcs. Which makes the game virtually unplayable without additional mods and a ton of patience and well, astrophysics knowledge.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eU-kLLeE7n0
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-02-2022, 03:40 PM.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Tensioning of the sun shield has started. Sounds like it will take a few days. But the "schedule" to start deploying the mirrors does not start until the 12th day- so they have time since we are only 9 days in.

Comment

• From the team blog:

The Webb mission operations team began the first steps in the process of tensioning the first layer of Webb’s sunshield this morning around 10 a.m. EST.

It will take the team two to three days to tension the five-layer sunshield. The plan for today is to focus on the first layer, the largest and the one closest to the Sun.

This critical step in the observatory’s complex sequence of deployments resumed after Webb mission managers paused deployment operations on Saturday to allow for team rest, and then again on Sunday to make adjustments to Webb’s power subsystem and to alter the observatory’s attitude to lower the temperature of the motors that drive the tensioning process.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Things appear to be going quite well- the first three sun shields are fully tensioned. This is the most complex part of the deployment, as I see it (although aiming the mirrors looks to be quite a complex thing, too)- as it has the most moving parts. But 3 out of 5 so far, and the results of that are really apparent- you can see a big drop in the cool side temp of the telescope- both temp locations are well below -100C, with one really close to -200C.

They are getting to the point that future failures would not doom the entire project, as they can deal with a reduced mirror as long as it's cold enough.

Just have to get that secondary mirror in place.

Comment

• If you have a lot of free time today- NASA is streaming the tensioning of the last two shield layers. Since there are no cameras, it's just listening to the status.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                If you have a lot of free time today- NASA is streaming the tensioning of the last two shield layers. Since there are no cameras, it's just listening to the status.
                Just went to check in on the live feed to note that stopped streaming not to long ago. And watching the end of the feed- lots and lots of happy scientists- all 5 shields are fully deployed right now!!!! HUGE step.

Next is to position the secondary mirror- which is pretty simple in comparison to the shields.

And then the full deployment of the mirror and aiming of each mirror segment.

Pretty amazing this is going so well. I wonder if the people who posted blogs or vlogs saying this was going to fail are writing their crow eating replies. It's not done, but the most complex part is passed.

Comment

• I keep posting random stuff- now that the sunshield is deployed, they posted the temp targets and probabilities-

The cold side will be ~ 36k. Or -237C. Or -350F. Remarkably, some of the cold side is already close to that at almost -200C.

The hot side will be ~383k, or +110C or 230F. Sort of close now, at it being almost 60C at one spot.

I didn't really expect the difference between the hot and cold sides to be that much- that's remarkable.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                    I keep posting random stuff- now that the sunshield is deployed, they posted the temp targets and probabilities-

The cold side will be ~ 36k. Or -237C. Or -350F. Remarkably, some of the cold side is already close to that at almost -200C.

The hot side will be ~383k, or +110C or 230F. Sort of close now, at it being almost 60C at one spot.

I didn't really expect the difference between the hot and cold sides to be that much- that's remarkable.
                    That was the main reason the Apollo space craft performed a "barbecue roll" where they rotated along their flight path to the moon and back.

Also one of the main reasons the shuttle often flew "upside down" in orbit, exposing the thermal tile side to the sun.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Webb is now actually in a position to be useful! Secondary mirror is fully deployed. Even with the primary mirror wings not being deployed, the system can be used at a reduced light load, and still be considerably bigger than previous space telescopes.

“The world’s most sophisticated tripod has deployed,” said Lee Feinberg, optical telescope element manager for Webb at Goddard. “That’s really the way one can think of it. Webb’s secondary mirror had to deploy in microgravity, and in extremely cold temperatures, and it ultimately had to work the first time without error. It also had to deploy, position, and lock itself into place to a tolerance of about one and a half millimeters, and then it has to stay extremely stable while the telescope points to different places in the sky – and that’s all for a secondary mirror support structure that is over 7 meters in length.”
                      Next Webb will deploy an important radiator system known as the aft deployable infrared radiator (ADIR), which helps shed heat away from its instruments and mirrors.

Comment

• Follow this thread that starts talking about why gold on JWST and then dives into how gold formed in the first place. Fascinating.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...507817474.html
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• For anyone who wants to keep track, but not actually put in the effort, Webb's port side mirror deployment was finished today. Starboard side is tomorrow.

After that, the rest of the time heading to L2 will probably be to aim the mirrors. Things are going really well.

Comment

• Mirrors fully deployed. The most complex origami in history is complete.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Mirrors fully deployed. The most complex origami in history is complete.
                              Amazing, now just to aim the mirrors until it reaches L2.

Comment

• Original nominal mission length was estimated at ten years. Everything went so well it could be twenty.

This really looks like a triumph. Thing's going to outlast the country.

Maybe the species.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X