Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space exploration: Where do we go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Therefore it would take roughly 60 years to achieve 1 light year. The nearest 'suspected' terrestrial exoplanet is roughly 4 light years from the sun?
    It took 50 years to get to 1 light-day. It's going to take a hell of a lot longer than 60 more :-)

Sometime around the year 19,620
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Can I get it converted to Warp factors?
      Isn't warp a logarithmic scale?

Edit: LOL! This is great. And not at ALL what I picture in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oI5Y4sAi8
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-30-2021, 03:37 PM.
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Isn't warp a logarithmic scale?
        Um ... ah ... folks have the gauges figured out, now we just need the vehicle and engine ... I guess ...
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

It took 50 years to get to 1 light-day. It's going to take a hell of a lot longer than 60 more :-)

Sometime around the year 19,620
          /slaps head

Comment

I have to sit down and think about this post after work
            Ok, I couldn't wait.

Is there any kind of theoretical limit to Solar boundary, gravity-assisted speed? There has to be, right?

God bless Stack Exchange, Yahoo Answers for smart(er) people.

So at some point, Kepler's scale breaks down and something else has to drive. Because so far, we've been using gravity assists for all spaceflight so far. Gravity assist can only get you so fast without requiring more "interactions" with the sun and jupiter and it just isn't going to work.

If you take:
            (Chemical Propulsion)+(Gravitational Assist)+(-\_(")_/-) = speed

When does GA become small relative to CP and (-\_(")_/-)?
            I don't know. But I do know Lynah is going to spend an hour typing up an amazing reply that both answers the question, questions chemical engineers' intelligence, and make us all laugh at the same time. :-D ;-)
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-30-2021, 04:09 PM.
            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

/slaps head
              Eh, 2081 might as well be 19,620 for you and (likely) me.
              Code:

Comment

I dunno about you man but with my family's genes 118 isn't a stretch.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Assuming man could today propel a similar object at 10x the speed of Voyager 2, it would take 6 years to travel one light day, 2,190 years to travel one light year and 4 to 12 times that to reach the nearest estimated extraterrestrial exoplanet.

Fffffff

Comment

• Space is very difficult to fully appreciate in the human mind.
                    Code:

Comment

• So in spite of many years of development, and watching how SpaceX SHOWS a launch- Blue Origin still sucks at the presentation.

Sounds sucks really badly, and the video seems as if it was from the 60's, but in color- and we could barely understand what they were saying. Whereas SpaceX has high def cameras all over the place- there would have been 5-6 live feeds inside the cabin that would not have broken up at all.

Not a fan of either billionaire, but come on Bezos. Copying a better product is not a bad idea, this is more like one of your crappy copy's that you charge a fortune for.

Comment

• Meh. **** them all. I'm getting sick of the worship these *******s are getting for something we did 50+ years ago.

Tax the rich. We shouldn't have someone able to afford to have their own private space program. Much less three.
                        Code:

Comment

• Are these private space companies allowed to use/develop nuclear power sources?
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Meh. **** them all. I'm getting sick of the worship these *******s are getting for something we did 50+ years ago.

Tax the rich. We shouldn't have someone able to afford to have their own private space program. Much less three.
                            Yep. How about instead creating a way to wank off at 50 miles up you, oh I dont know, END ****ING HUNGER YOU SELF IMPORTANT JACKWAGONS! Fund Climate change research and green tech implementation. (shut up Elon you are no better) Fix homelessness or fund education...

NASA Astronauts are heroes (especially the early ones) these guys are ****ing COSPLAYERS with too much money and too little dicks.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• They could probably afford to do both things. I doubt it occurred to them.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Yep. How about instead creating a way to wank off at 50 miles up you, oh I dont know, END ****ING HUNGER YOU SELF IMPORTANT JACKWAGONS! Fund Climate change research and green tech implementation. (shut up Elon you are no better) Fix homelessness or fund education...

NASA Astronauts are heroes (especially the early ones) these guys are ****ing COSPLAYERS with too much money and too little dicks.
                                Yes, yes, and yes. At least Gates has done something worthwhile with his fortune.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X