Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space exploration: Where do we go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus

https://twitter.com/intrepidpursuit/...198131715?s=20

I noticed before lift off that there were no trenches and it was just on a concrete pad, which seemed... not optimal. There's a reason NASA flooded the pits and diverted the thrust. I also noticed debris being kicked up almost the entire height of the rocket and a couple of explosions on the video.

I don't understand why they didn't put this on something more thought out than a really expensive turkey fryer stand.

LMAO, holy ****. Watch at 45:00 on this video. You can see the launch pad being pulverized and kicking concrete boulders up hundreds of feet (straight up!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wcilQ58hI

Check out this one as well:
    https://twitter.com/SemrauDylan/stat...50806577164293
    I can't believe this didn't puncture any of the tanks out there causing an explosion. just an incredibly poor decision.

And now there are reports of debris falling all over florida.
    https://twitter.com/pblodlr/status/1...218991617?s=20
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-20-2023, 12:12 PM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• So it turns out the interstage crumpled on launch. Was never going to separate. That's bad.
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• RUD: Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly

Gotta love spaceflight acronyms!
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          So it turns out the interstage crumpled on launch. Was never going to separate. That's bad.
          Very bad, for that to happen, they either under estimated the upper stage mass and/or the power of the rockets. Both of which is not positive. Or perhaps overestimated the strength.

Comment

Jesus

https://twitter.com/intrepidpursuit/...198131715?s=20

I noticed before lift off that there were no trenches and it was just on a concrete pad, which seemed... not optimal. There's a reason NASA flooded the pits and diverted the thrust. I also noticed debris being kicked up almost the entire height of the rocket and a couple of explosions on the video.

I don't understand why they didn't put this on something more thought out than a really expensive turkey fryer stand.

LMAO, holy ****. Watch at 45:00 on this video. You can see the launch pad being pulverized and kicking concrete boulders up hundreds of feet (straight up!)

Check out this one as well:
            https://twitter.com/SemrauDylan/stat...50806577164293
            I can't believe this didn't puncture any of the tanks out there causing an explosion. just an incredibly poor decision.

And now there are reports of debris falling all over florida.
            https://twitter.com/pblodlr/status/1...218991617?s=20
            Again, the double standard for X and everyone else is astounding- ULAs launch caused some damage due to its power, and they got flack for it, but this is somehow ok???

Makes me hate musk and his worshipers even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              RUD: Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly

Gotta love spaceflight acronyms!
              How Rude! =)
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Again, the double standard for X and everyone else is astounding- ULAs launch caused some damage due to its power, and they got flack for it, but this is somehow ok???

Makes me hate musk and his worshipers even more.
                100%. The environmental damage from this is goign to be astounding. The debris field from just the launch pad is miles-wide.

My god it's amazing this even made it off the pad intact.

If you watch the videos, that thing was moving laterally quite a bit on take-off. It was clear the vectoring was working insanely hard to keep that thing pointed up in the seconds after launch.
                Code:

Comment

At 49:00: "As promised, an exciting end to the test flight!" And everybody cheers.

Whee, we blew up!
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

On the other hand, I enjoy Elon's failures.
                    I like when Elmo is embarrassed, but I want to see humanity spread to the stars more.

The one thing Elmo is absolutely right about is we cannot continue to be a single point of failure species; it's only a matter of time before some dumbsh-t Reagan or Shrub or Dump or Putin kills us all.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I like when Elmo is embarrassed, but I want to see humanity spread to the stars more.

The one thing Elmo is absolutely right about is we cannot continue to be a single point of failure species; it's only a matter of time before some dumbsh-t Reagan or Shrub or Dump or Putin kills us all.
                      You misspelled “Musk.”
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I want responsible space tech. Not this libertarian disaster with no engineering controls whatsoever. No, I won't celebrate this as even a minor success. The more I read the more there is to hate about everything this company. They don't give a ****. Not one. This is going to get people killed in the air and on the ground.
                        Code:

Comment

• The reentry vehicle lost significantly more tiles than necessary to guarantee failure on reentry (a known problem for Starship). A portion of the rocket was crushed on liftoff. They knew the launchpad wasn't going to be good enough and went ahead anyways raining debris over the entire community and a protected bird sanctuary. They lied on their permits and used old thrust data (it was something like 25% higher on launch than in the submitted specs). The noise readings were 10 dBA higher on a static fire of the engines than estimates submitted with the permit. The launch area is woefully undersized with communities a third the distance thatn Canaveral. I'm also still not sure whether the insane wobble we saw was from the cameras or from unmanaged forces.

This is not how we should do space tech. If this is that important to humanity, we must get it right.
                          Code:

Comment

This is going to get people killed in the air and on the ground.
                            I have a blind spot here. Kill as many Floridians and Texans as you need to get us to the stars.

Just put the execs on the test flights. They'll discover due diligence. And it becomes win/win.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Did SpaceX not have any success prior to this launch? This flight was intentionally unmanned for a reason and there were crashes during Mercury/Gemini/Apollo.

I'm not a Musk guy AT ALL, but I guess I'm not understanding what seems like histrionics in reaction to this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Did SpaceX not have any success prior to this launch? This flight was intentionally unmanned for a reason and there were crashes during Mercury/Gemini/Apollo.

I'm not a Musk guy AT ALL, but I guess I'm not understanding what seems like histrionics in reaction to this?
                                Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo were literally the first forays into space by humans. Every flight was learning something new about the laws that governed rocketry and spaceflight. They had no computers to run simulations or libraries of literature on the topic to access nor did they have decades of learnings from previous attempts (which is why no one (I believe) has attempted super heavy launches without deluge and diverters. Much of this was entirely predictable.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X