Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space exploration: Where do we go from here?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Oh, and the other night we saw the starlink trail fly over. Made me hate musk all over again.
    I've seen more and more outrage this year over his Starlink network because of its visibility. Some Earth based deep space photographers have also posted shots ruined by Starlink.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

    Comment


    • Originally posted by aparch View Post

      I've seen more and more outrage this year over his Starlink network because of its visibility. Some Earth based deep space photographers have also posted shots ruined by Starlink.
      They were supposed to be painting them dull black at some point. The white ones should decay into the atmosphere in a few years.

      Some of the astronomers are actually reasonably gracious that they are supplying internet to places that can't get them. Some.

      Comment


      • My biggest problem with them is the temporary nature and the environmental impact. Perhaps it's less than fiber trunks, but I haven't seen compelling evidence, yet.

        actually, one more. I also have serious concerns about the number of satellites and a ****ty person like musk caring or not caring about collisions and interferences.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          My biggest problem with them is the temporary nature and the environmental impact. Perhaps it's less than fiber trunks, but I haven't seen compelling evidence, yet.

          actually, one more. I also have serious concerns about the number of satellites and a ****ty person like musk caring or not caring about collisions and interferences.
          I agree with you- some astronomers are pretty darned gracious. Musk is only doing this for power and money- not to actually help remote areas.

          Comment


          • Some amazing images of Jupiter from JWST- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY8A...channel=thebhp

            It's live and I'm not sure how long it will be shown (8/22- 3:25pm)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
              Some amazing images of Jupiter from JWST- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY8A...channel=thebhp

              It's live and I'm not sure how long it will be shown (8/22- 3:25pm)
              Gorgeous thank you.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

              Comment


              • NASA scrubbed the first Artemis launch due to an unresolved technical issue with the engine.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  NASA scrubbed the first Artemis launch due to an unresolved technical issue with the engine.
                  Saturday around 2pm is the next attempt. They think the temperature sensor may be giving incorrect readings.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                  ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

                  Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                  I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                  Comment


                  • Must see tv
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                    Comment


                    • The JWST is exceeding it's predicted capabilities so much, we think we might be able to detect clouds on an exoplanet

                      https://***********/newscientist/sta...3AW_pHj6geT8Gg

                      https://www.newscientist.com/article...box=1662041533
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        The JWST is exceeding it's predicted capabilities so much, we think we might be able to detect clouds on an exoplanet

                        https://***********/newscientist/sta...3AW_pHj6geT8Gg

                        https://www.newscientist.com/article...box=1662041533
                        The first telescope was constructed in 1608, one year after Jamestown was founded. Assuming we educate the Right out of existence so it doesn't destroy all life in its cowardly, vicious superstition, imagine 2436. That is when I would like my next reincarnation, please.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                          The first telescope was constructed in 1608, one year after Jamestown was founded. Assuming we educate the Right out of existence so it doesn't destroy all life in its cowardly, vicious superstition, imagine 2436. That is when I would like my next reincarnation, please.
                          Data, pull up the weather on Risa.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                          Comment


                          • JWST direct imaging of a planet (not inferred):



                            385 light years away. That's 2,263,000,000,000,000 miles.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • This is real.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                JWST direct imaging of a planet (not inferred):



                                385 light years away. That's 2,263,000,000,000,000 miles.
                                Except that for JWST, direct imaging IS infrared. Unless I'm reading this wrong, the shortest wavelength JWST is not visible to humans.

                                None the less, that's berkleing cool. Oh, this isn't that forum- that's ****ing cool.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X