Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space exploration: Where do we go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handyman
    replied
    Humans will not be around in 4.5 billion years...

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

As you say, we will be vastly different. We may not need a ship. We may not even need to "go" anywhere. Assuming we can become unstuck in time the way we are in space, we may just differently when. We may already have.
    Not sure how we prevent the sun from running out of hydrogen, and then expanding in size to envelop the earth.

Or how to violate known physics.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Maybe. But time and evolution will drastically change humans over 2B years.

At least we would need a “Wally” kind of space craft to get to another place to live. It will take many generations of humans to get anywhere, given we can’t come close to traveling at the speed of light. The ultimate Noah’s Ark.
    As you say, we will be vastly different. We may not need a ship. We may not even need to "go" anywhere. Assuming we can become unstuck in time the way we are in space, we may just differently when. We may already have.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied

I'm an optimist. We'll see it from somewhere else.

Maybe. But time and evolution will drastically change humans over 2B years.

At least we would need a “Wally” kind of space craft to get to another place to live. It will take many generations of humans to get anywhere, given we can’t come close to traveling at the speed of light. The ultimate Noah’s Ark.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
    In ~4.5 Billion years, Andromeda will collide with the Milky Way. We won't see it because the sun will burn up the earth as it dies in 3-5B years.
    I'm an optimist. We'll see it from somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    The size of space is not possible to grasp.
    To put some perspective, it takes 225,000,000 years for our solar system to orbit the Milky Way. Meaning it’s gone around almost 18 times. Humans have been here for ~200,000 years, or under 1/10 of an orbit. We’ve barely been here.

Most of these galaxy's we are seeing generated that light billions of years before the sun existed. Probably billions of years before the super nova that made all of the atoms that make everything we see were fused together.

In ~4.5 Billion years, Andromeda will collide with the Milky Way. We won’t see it because the sun will burn up the earth as it dies in 3-5B years. Let alone there will be a handful of extinction events as we orbit the galaxy.

Given how we perceive time, it’s hard to fathom we’ve only been here for ~0.005% of the time this planet has existed.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I once thought I understood galaxies. I think I'm closer to thinking we normal humans can't understand them at all. They're so monstrously complex.
    We just don’t grasp the whole gravity of the situation.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

nope.

I sometimes look at galaxies and think of toilets. The water atoms being stars. Cities are clusters. CSAs are superclusters. Earth is the observable universe. Even that doesn't really get the scope right.
    https://htwins.net/scale2/

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    nope.

I sometimes look at galaxies and think of toilets. The water atoms being stars. Cities are clusters. CSAs are superclusters. Earth is the observable universe. Even that doesn't really get the scope right.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I once thought I understood galaxies. I think I'm closer to thinking we normal humans can't understand them at all. They're so monstrously complex.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Perdy.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Yes.
    Elon: We could get off the ground on our 32nd try

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    What a brilliant success
    Yes.

Ingenuity logged 72 flights over three years at Mars. It accumulated more than two hours of flight time, traveling 11 miles (18 kilometers). That’s more than 14 times farther than planned, according to NASA. It soared as high as 79 feet (24 meters) and hit speeds of up to 22.4 mph (36 kph).

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    What a brilliant success

Leave a comment:

Working...
X