Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting without infecting- ceative ways to celebrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting without infecting- ceative ways to celebrate?

The biggest source of spread is small family/friend gatherings with 'trusted' people who's bodies aren't trustworthy. We know testing is not effective as a screen to be safe. If they don't live with you they shouldn't be there. What are you doing to connect without infecting? Looking for creative ideas and a place people can share how they are doing things without being inside together. [please, please leave out how any mention of 'only having one other family/friend,etc. This isn't safe and I am trying to keep my blood pressure at a reasonable level]

We are 3. Usually have all the elderly relatives. When we cancelled we heard a chorus of thank yous from people who didn't want the stress of having to say no. We may set the laptop up at the head of the table and zoom or FB video chat.

For Advent I am going to have an envelope for every day and write a short blerb of fond memory that we usually would hear over the T-day or Xmas table.

Also planning to bake, freeze meals that they can defrost and eat with us at Christmas time.

My wife and I will be doing one at home. Our dining room is small, we usually eat in the other room 99.9% of the time, so we wanted to try something outside where there's more room for Thanksgiving given it's special. We didn't quite know if the weather would cooperate, but from a client she got a big bubble tent, about 12` in diameter and 7' tall, that's plastic and clear. So we figure we can move everything outside and eat in that; a little goofy, yes, but this is the year to do something unusual. Actually it looks like the weather will cooperate pretty well, 60 degrees and partly cloudy for most of the week. And throughout the day we'll Zoom with family in the area and back east.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

My dad is coming over, and he's been in my sort of bubble since May/June, and he's also been doing what he can to stay safe. Probably better than I am, actually (not proud to admit).

My brother intends to come up for Christmas from SC, but he's decided COVID is a total hoax and refuses to take any measures. My dad and I told him that MA requires visitors to have a negative test or quarantine, he refused. So we told him he'll quarantine and get tested or he can stay there. It sucks. The Cult of Trump has ruined a lot of people.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

We will continue to be home with Mr. & Mrs. geezer and the big & little geezer kids (University to 1st grade). We don’t care for turkey anyway, so all I need is the “foolproof rib roast “ link on Allrecipes.com (which has served us very well the last few Christmas and Easters) to make it a happy family holiday.
        I rather enjoy the absence of socializing.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I am spending time with my roommate.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Also, I'm going to try and reach out to the Mama Bears. I miss my adopted family so much.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Just me and the Ms.

We're going all out for food. Cooking has already started. I’m so excited. I’ve always wanted to do Thanksgiving.

Breakfast:
              Alton’s apple spice bundt cake

Dinner:
              Smoking a whole turkey
              Likely spatchcock and with a maple sage wet or dry(ish) brine
              Cornbread*^ & sausage stuffing
              celery, carrots, shallots, possibly apple, among other things
              Mashed potatoes*
              god I wanted garlic mash, but garlic doesn’t agree with Wdx... sigh. Not everyone can be perfect
              Gravy*^
              still not sure how I’m doing this. Smoked drippings are going to taste like char. So likely going to cook the neck, back, and giblets in turkey stock with veggies
              Sweet potato biscuits*^ and/or
              Parker House rolls*^
              We might do the PH Rolls non-GF for me. Just can’t beat that ungodly good texture of a gluten bread.
              Cranberry sauce*
              Pumpkin Pie^ or pumpkin cheesecake*^, not sure which yet

Pairing with one of our Trader Joe’s Diamond Reserves.

*From scratch // ^Gluten-free

We’re going to eat for a week lol.

Turkey went in the fridge yesterday. We also baked the cornbread and started the staling process. It's sooooooooooo good. It's my own recipe for the cornbread but we decided to throw in some Scarborough Fair and holy moly, revelatory.

Tonight while Wdx is working, I'll be making and parbaking the Parker House rolls. We can toss them in the oven day to finish.
              edit: nix that. Goofs are on.

As for connecting:
              Going to Zoom/Facetime with family. With some of the in-laws, we're setting a strict "no COVID, no politics" rule... :roll eyes:

Starting after Turkey Day, we're going to be doing contactless treat drops with friends and family. We've gone back and forth with this and making sure the science backs up this idea. Seems like surface transfer is significantly less common than we thought. At least according to latest research.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

We had a scare last night/this AM but turns out so far things are still OK. I am going to bake.

Yum to that menu. Usually I have started baking/prepping by now. Not this time. I don't usually make breakfast. Maybe I will be inspired. I could make cinnamon rolls... Swedish Coffee bread. First I need to make a pecan pie.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  My wife and I will be doing one at home. Our dining room is small, we usually eat in the other room 99.9% of the time, so we wanted to try something outside where there's more room for Thanksgiving given it's special. We didn't quite know if the weather would cooperate, but from a client she got a big bubble tent, about 12` in diameter and 7' tall, that's plastic and clear. So we figure we can move everything outside and eat in that; a little goofy, yes, but this is the year to do something unusual. Actually it looks like the weather will cooperate pretty well, 60 degrees and partly cloudy for most of the week. And throughout the day we'll Zoom with family in the area and back east.
                  This sounds like great fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                    My dad is coming over, and he's been in my sort of bubble since May/June, and he's also been doing what he can to stay safe. Probably better than I am, actually (not proud to admit).

My brother intends to come up for Christmas from SC, but he's decided COVID is a total hoax and refuses to take any measures. My dad and I told him that MA requires visitors to have a negative test or quarantine, he refused. So we told him he'll quarantine and get tested or he can stay there. It sucks. The Cult of Trump has ruined a lot of people.
                    "been in my sort of bubble since May/June." ??? Ahh what? Does your State's guidelines say get together with your "sort of bubble" ? And, you aren't proud to admit that you aren't staying as safe as you could be? Are you kidding, its the plague what are you doing, trying to be a weapon? Clean up your act. You know that is what you are asking of everyone else to do.

Last edited by Jeb2020; 11-24-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Did someone other than les post in this thread recently?

My notification page said “-1” people posted

weird
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Did someone other than les post in this thread recently?

My notification page said “-1” people posted

weird
                        It must be someone I have on ignore. When I tried to look it said I didn't have permission to look and that happens only when someone blocked shows up.

Comment

Pretty sure Jeb posted...

We decided instead of me smoking a turkey like normal we would buy from a restaurant. Market BBQ has a nice spread so we went with that. Of course now I have a turkey in my freezer that at some point will make enough leftovers to last until the pandemic ends but hey its all good :^)
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

It must be someone I have on ignore. When I tried to look it said I didn't have permission to look and that happens only when someone blocked shows up.
                            And really, each of their posts are like a -1

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Pretty sure Jeb posted...

We decided instead of me smoking a turkey like normal we would buy from a restaurant. Market BBQ has a nice spread so we went with that. Of course now I have a turkey in my freezer that at some point will make enough leftovers to last until the pandemic ends but hey its all good :^)
                              Any tips for smoking?
                              Code:

Comment

Working...
                              X