• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SJHovey
    replied
    Re: Calorie Counting

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Friday, May 17

Breakfast: Special K (160), Small burrito (300)
    Lunch: Costco Hot Dog (550!), Caesar's Salad (500)
    Total: 1510

I guess I won't be doing that again...

BP: 132/77
    Weight: 240.6
    That breakfast burrito is a bold step, though. I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Friday, May 17

Breakfast: Special K (160), Small burrito (300)
    Lunch: Costco Hot Dog (550!), Caesar's Salad (500)
    Total: 1510

I guess I won't be doing that again...

Weight: 240.6

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Wednesday, May 15

breakfast: none
    Lunch: ham and cheddar 8" sub (430), small chili (170), 600

BP: 139 / 83
    Weight: 240.1
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2019, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I really wish I could get behind almond milk. It’s just TERRIBLE for the environment. I remember reading something like one almond tales about 25 gallons of water to produce. It’s one of the most water-intense crops in North America (world?) in an area that is struggling with water shortages.

The 25 figure might be bulls-hit but I know they’re water hogs. And yes I know cows aren’t much better.

Edit: yes it was BS. But it’s not good. An almond takes 1.1ish gallons. A gallon of almond milk takes 920 gallons.
    I get the impression it’s very similar to diet soda, mostly water with some chemicals mixed in. In the last couple months I’ve switched over to oat milk and think it’s the way to go. It’s better for the environment and even though it has more calories I think it’s healthier. Taste wise I don’t really have much of a preference between the two.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I really wish I could get behind almond milk. It’s just TERRIBLE for the environment. I remember reading something like one almond tales about 25 gallons of water to produce. It’s one of the most water-intense crops in North America (world?) in an area that is struggling with water shortages.

The 25 figure might be bulls-hit but I know they’re water hogs. And yes I know cows aren’t much better.

Edit: yes it was BS. But it’s not good. An almond takes 1.1ish gallons. A gallon of almond milk takes 920 gallons.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-14-2019, 06:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• trixR4kids
    replied

Fettuccine Alfredo isn't too bad as long as you don't totally overdo it on noodles and the meat is relatively lean. You can also modify the sauce with leaner cream etc. And having broccoli really helps because it has a ton of fiber.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    You shouldn’t underestimate how much an increase in activity can help though. If Kepler could increase the amount of steps he takes each day by like 5k I’m sure it would help him lose a couple extra pounds each month and it wouldn’t take a ton of effort, just change a few habits here and there.
    For those who know me, I'm skinny as f*. Part of it is metabolism. The other part is that I'm on my feet 8 hours a day, lifting boxes onto pallets. Been doing that for close to 25 years now. I actually get my exercise during the week.

Kep: as far as veggies, I'm picky on those also. Stick with the everyday bland things like green beans, corn, etc. I have expanded to zucchini in a Mediterranean stir fry, and I do like cooked cauliflower. Broccoli in a fettuccine Alfredo, but that is cancelling out any benefit there.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I prefer oat bran instead of oatmeal. Especially if you have issues with the texture of oatmeal.
    I loved staying with my maternal grandfather. "What are we having for breakfast, grandpa?" "Mush" (oatmeal).

To this day I can't call it anything else.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    There are lower sugar/carb and higher fiber cereals than others, but oatmeal is an option. It's terribly bland, but with a bit of milk, honey, strawberries, blueberries and/or raisins it becomes much more tolerable. I'd also suggest soy milk as an alternative to even skim.
    I use almond milk - unsweetened is 30 Kcal/8oz, whereas skim milk in 70 Kcal/8oz. It seems like very little difference, but it's a combination of the little things that really make the changes take effect.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied

I prefer oat bran instead of oatmeal. Especially if you have issues with the texture of oatmeal.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Monday, May 13

Breakfast: none
    Lunch: Roast beef on brioche (500) pistachios (340), 840
    Weight: 237.0

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

I can tolerate vegetables. What do you suggest for breakfasts? I have to eat something or I get debilitating headaches. I default to cereal but am open to alternatives. On the weekends I have ham and bacon or burritos, and eggs.

Thank you, and everyone, for your suggestions. Being fat is both unpleasant and weird to me and I'm departing from it as quickly as possible.
    I have 3 sunny-side up eggs on top of steel cut oats. Quite easy to do in the slow cooker.

And by the way, Kep... you should have stayed away from me yesterday. My breakfast was good. But then I had runner snacks during the 25K. Lunch was okay... omelette with 1 slice toast (butter and jam), coffee. Dinner though was shrimp tacos with rice and refried beans, a mango margarita, Chardonnay, and a brownie.

But I'm not as dogmatic against sugar as some people here. I went without it for two years, felt miserable, and reintroduced it sparingly. And I don't consider it "cheating" to eat a brownie or some ice cream. Part of the hormones is I've learned how to LIVE. Food is more than fuel. Food is family. Food is culture. Food is life. Food is times with my best friends that became family. My Bible is the Fannie Farmer cookbook. And before anyone asks about my weight... I stand 6'2", weigh somewhere between 213-220, and can routinely run marathons.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

I can tolerate vegetables. What do you suggest for breakfasts? I have to eat something or I get debilitating headaches. I default to cereal but am open to alternatives. On the weekends I have ham and bacon or burritos, and eggs.

Thank you, and everyone, for your suggestions. Being fat is both unpleasant and weird to me and I'm departing from it as quickly as possible.
    Leftovers from the night before.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
    smoothie can also work as a meal replacement.
    hey now!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• cF[Authentic]
    replied

As Slap Shot said, oatmeal is a good option and you can naturally sweeten it up with fruit and honey. A protein smoothie can also work as a meal replacement, provided you blend up enough actual food. Try blending a banana, 1/4 cup peanut butter, scoop of flavored protein, and some berries with a nut milk like unsweetened almond. It gives you the nutrients, fills you up and is healthier.

If you can get away from cow milk altogether, do it. Despite being high in fat, whole milk is your "healthiest" choice if you can't quit regular milk. All of them are full of sugar and it gets worse the closer you get to skim.

Side note about honey: always buy honey from local bees. It helps your nearby people but more importantly, the honey is made by bees that use local flowers meaning the honey can help limit allergens you may suffer from.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X