Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Calorie Counting

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Are you just not drinking water or something? Or maybe you can have some minimal amount of cream/sugar in whatever caffeinated drink you have or something...?
    Well, when I skip I do tend to fast. So it's possible it's dehydration. Worth a try, anyway.

I drink a lot of water in the p.m. at work -- picked it up as a soda substitute and it's how I keep from snacking.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I was 5-7, 155 in HS and 5-9, 165 in college. Size 30 jeans, and before relaxed fit was a thing. And I held that well into my mid 30s. I stabilized at 185 through my mid 40s. And then I went from 185 to 230 in my early 50s and have been immobile (in so many ways) there ever since. It doesn't show much because my dad gave me very broad shoulders and a good frame to carry extra weight, but I know it can't be healthy and I sometimes have breathless moments that make me aware of it.

Plus Dr. Mrs. is a hot little number and I want to match.

I'm not delusional, I know 185 is gone forever, but I think 199 is doable and that's my aim. This year's goal was to cut out my 8 soda a day habit and I did. I've also cut down on beer severely. But I have a lot I can do with portion control and I'm starting from cold metal zero on exercise so I know there's a lot more I can do.

All I ask is a form of exercise that uses my brain. I'll go through a lot if it's getting me off intellectually; hell, I even do marriage. I should volunteer to be hunted every weekend. I know people who'd be interested.
      Go for a walk with Dr. Mrs. My GF and I go for walks a couple times a week. She enjoys raising monarch caterpillars so we walk down to the park after work and get about 0.5-1 miles to get milkweed. Otherwise, yardwork is another great activity. I suck at keeping things alive and she has a green thumb. I can move heavy things and she can plant things. Makes your body and yard look better. We're going to be doing a lot of landscaping this fall. Hopefully. (It's also nice because we can think and discuss what we want to do. We go to Gerten's, a local landscaping and plant megastore, take an hour to walk through to get ideas and take notes. Then we start planning.)

Commit to getting healthier together. Hold each other accountable and don't let it turn into an unhealthy competition or something where you or she is ragging on the other one for not following or meeting goals. Be constructive and supportive.

Oh, I thought of another thing while walking from my car. This has zero nutritional science behind it, but try cutting gluten out of your diet for two weeks. Not because gluten is bad, but it makes you think about every food decision you make. You have to read the ingredients and ask questions. I've become far more in touch with food since my GF and I started dating. We eat less takeout because of it. You can't just order a pizza because it's late and you don't want to cook. Helps us keep things like basic salad ingredients stocked in the house. And it has forced me to cut down significantly on the amount of pasta I've been eating.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

There's nothing villainous about pasta per se, it's the amount of pasta Americans tend to eat that is more of the problem (and never mind that it's mostly the no-fiber, white flour kind). Look at a standard portion of pasta in Italy, or the noodles in a bowl of authentic Japanese ramen (NOT the dried crap you at in your college dorm). Now compare it to the amount of pasta on the plate at an Olive Garden/Macaroni Grill/Carrabba's, or the all-you-can-eat pasta places, or even what your mother gave you as a kid when spaghetti was on the menu at home. The differences in portion size will be pretty obscene. Plus, we drown our pastas in meat sauce and cheese, or in cream sauce which renders any veggies pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          There's nothing villainous about pasta per se, it's the amount of pasta Americans tend to eat that is more of the problem (and never mind that it's mostly the no-fiber, white flour kind). Look at a standard portion of pasta in Italy, or the noodles in a bowl of authentic Japanese ramen (NOT the dried crap you at in your college dorm). Now compare it to the amount of pasta on the plate at an Olive Garden/Macaroni Grill/Carrabba's, or the all-you-can-eat pasta places, or even what your mother gave you as a kid when spaghetti was on the menu at home. The differences in portion size will be pretty obscene. Plus, we drown our pastas in meat sauce and cheese, or in cream sauce which renders any veggies pointless.
          Yeah basically pretend the food pyramid never existed.

Comment

Right now, my struggle is this: prior to surgery on my right foot July 2, I was active. I ran, I did HIIT workouts, I did yoga and Pilates, and I was at my physical job Monday through Friday and sometimes Saturday. I ate to match this.

Since surgery, I've had trouble cutting back on what I eat to match the relative inactivity, and what's worse, I've developed a "f-ck it" attitude, which has me wanting salty snacks, ice cream, and wine. At least I cut back on the wine and am learning to scoot (I'm on a knee scooter) past the salty snack aisle.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I feel like Wine is generally healthier than beer at least and shouldn't have a ton of calories, assuming you aren't getting Arbor Mist or something with a bunch of sugar. Ice Cream and salty snacks are a different story (I went through a chip phase recently but like you said, I generally avoid that aisle).

Comment

I feel like Wine is generally healthier than beer at least and shouldn't have a ton of calories, assuming you aren't getting Arbor Mist or something with a bunch of sugar. Ice Cream and salty snacks are a different story (I went through a chip phase recently but like you said, I generally avoid that aisle).
                With wine, it's not the wine itself, it's the frequency. When I'm basically drinking a bottle a week...
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  With wine, it's not the wine itself, it's the frequency. When I'm basically drinking a bottle a week...
                  A bottle a week is what, a glass per (work) day? And if you're including the weekends that doesn't sound that bad... (unless you're really trying to cut out alcohol entirely for health reasons or what have you)

Comment

A bottle a week is what, a glass per (work) day? And if you're including the weekends that doesn't sound that bad... (unless you're really trying to cut out alcohol entirely for health reasons or what have you)
                    My alcohol consumption is related to my food consumption. When I drink, I tend to eat more carbs and fat to soak it up. What I ended up doing is basically cutting back to a small glass 1-2 times a week, and trying to drink with my dinner instead of as a nightcap.

Comment

A bottle of dry red wine a week isn’t bad. Just make sure it’s dry. Cabernet. Zinfandel, Syrah are all good choices. Stay away from the mega brands. Trader Joe’s has some very good wines for super cheap I’m finding.

Alton said it best though. He doesn’t drink milk not because of the milk itself but because it makes him so bad things. So if you’re finding wine is making you eat other things that are especially bad, stop drinking.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Been drinking red wine since the acidic stomach reaction to beer. A bottle a week is definitely just fine.

Comment

My alcohol consumption is related to my food consumption. When I drink, I tend to eat more carbs and fat to soak it up. What I ended up doing is basically cutting back to a small glass 1-2 times a week, and trying to drink with my dinner instead of as a nightcap.
                          If I drink during the week I limit it to 1-2 beers/drinks but I do it before/with dinner generally. That said I have a weird eating schedule compared to most people where I kinda just fast in the morning (maybe do a banana on free fruit day), eat lunch around 1-3, sometimes later if I'm extremely busy/overwhelmed, and then have dinner around 9-10, which makes the timing easier.

Comment

Since I'm trying to shed the "f-ck it" attitude, what I've been doing is emphasizing quality protein, quality fiber, and water.

Breakfast: steel cut oats with 3 eggs and 2 large cups of coffee
                            Lunch: lean protein, sweet potatoes or quinoa, and a non-starchy veg
                            Dinner: same as lunch
                            Snacks: fruit (like an apple or pear) and raw almonds or pickled vegetables or maybe popcorn
                            Beverages: coffee (black) or green tea, water (sometimes with a Nuun electrolyte tablet), with rare alcohol

What really helps is that I'm cutting back on baking. Double chocolate crunchy peanut butter bread is tasty, but not really all that healthy.

Comment

steel cut oats
                              When I see this on farm-to-table menus I always wonder: is it bullsh-t or does it actually mean something? I translate it to "oatmeal you pay 3x the price for."
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yeah, the oats are just cut instead of rolled. They take longer to prepare but some people love them. I’ve made them twice and it’s too much effort. I like old fashioned (not minute) oats with a pinch of salt, a teaspoon or two of maple syrup, and pecans or walnuts. I always use skim milk and rarely cook them until the mush most people like them as.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X