Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Calorie Counting

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    You shouldn’t underestimate how much an increase in activity can help though. If Kepler could increase the amount of steps he takes each day by like 5k I’m sure it would help him lose a couple extra pounds each month and it wouldn’t take a ton of effort, just change a few habits here and there.
    I'm trying to do this, too. Activity is annoying but necessary. It's 250 steps around my building so 4x for 1000.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-10-2019, 12:26 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I used to run pretty regularly and got up to 5-6 miles per day for a while (probably 4-6 times per week). Problem was between my diet (which you're improving, good) and not doing any weights I plateau'd pretty quickly in terms of weight loss, though I did feel a lot better mentally. It wasn't until I started lifting that I really saw results again and got past the plateau. I think that's mostly because even when resting, your muscles use what you consume up to a certain point. At the time I was just lifting more like a body builder because I didn't know what regimen I wanted to do but fortunately I ran across a training regimen more specifically focused on what I like to do for fun (hockey goalie) and I've stuck with that ever since. It checks a lot of boxes in terms of flexibility, entire body workout, and even includes an anaerobic component (sprinting and mobility drills). And then I also like to bike when it's nice out so that covers aerobic which isn't part of my workout routine.

Just my 2 cents on why you might want to do some lifting (and if you get into a routine where you just go straight from work straight ----> gym without thinking about it that should help you stick with it more easily), it's more efficient as you alluded to before though you don't want to sub it out for cardio completely (I feel like the positive mental effects of cardio alone are worth it and it's good for fat loss). It's doubly helpful if you train toward something specific and see progress in your game or whatever you're training for rather than just looking in the mirror/at the scale.

edit: I know starting all these different things at once can be daunting so don't bite off more than you can chew all at once, it's just something to consider for now
      Last edited by trixR4kids; 05-10-2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I've always found exercise for its own sake absolutely, brain-torturing boring. My only hope in making it tolerable is to make it a contest of some kind, particularly against someone else, where there is a winner and a loser, and then to challenge people better than I. Then my completely unbalanced competitiveness will kick in and it's off to the LSATs.

The key to my losing weight will be to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• That’s the spirit!

Comment

• Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
            Doesn't burn as much weight as you'd think... Good for muscle building though.
            BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I commend you on the progress you've made so far. One of the tough things, especially early on, is getting energy filled calories to keep your energy up.
              Eating 1,000 ****ty calories isn't nearly as healthy (and long-term beneficial) as eating 1,300 calories from energy sources.

Seeing dry cereal and bread (both sugary) aren't great options. I'm sure you're restricted in your options but try some veggies with that meat for lunch and you'll keep some of the energy you're losing.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                I commend you on the progress you've made so far. One of the tough things, especially early on, is getting energy filled calories to keep your energy up.
                Eating 1,000 ****ty calories isn't nearly as healthy (and long-term beneficial) as eating 1,300 calories from energy sources.

Seeing dry cereal and bread (both sugary) aren't great options. I'm sure you're restricted in your options but try some veggies with that meat for lunch and you'll keep some of the energy you're losing.
                I can tolerate vegetables. What do you suggest for breakfasts? I have to eat something or I get debilitating headaches. I default to cereal but am open to alternatives. On the weekends I have ham and bacon or burritos, and eggs.

Thank you, and everyone, for your suggestions. Being fat is both unpleasant and weird to me and I'm departing from it as quickly as possible.
                Cornell University

Comment

There are lower sugar/carb and higher fiber cereals than others, but oatmeal is an option. It's terribly bland, but with a bit of milk, honey, strawberries, blueberries and/or raisins it becomes much more tolerable. I'd also suggest soy milk as an alternative to even skim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I can tolerate vegetables. What do you suggest for breakfasts? I have to eat something or I get debilitating headaches. I default to cereal but am open to alternatives. On the weekends I have ham and bacon or burritos, and eggs.

Thank you, and everyone, for your suggestions. Being fat is both unpleasant and weird to me and I'm departing from it as quickly as possible.
                    As Slap Shot said, oatmeal is a good option and you can naturally sweeten it up with fruit and honey. A protein smoothie can also work as a meal replacement, provided you blend up enough actual food. Try blending a banana, 1/4 cup peanut butter, scoop of flavored protein, and some berries with a nut milk like unsweetened almond. It gives you the nutrients, fills you up and is healthier.

If you can get away from cow milk altogether, do it. Despite being high in fat, whole milk is your "healthiest" choice if you can't quit regular milk. All of them are full of sugar and it gets worse the closer you get to skim.

Side note about honey: always buy honey from local bees. It helps your nearby people but more importantly, the honey is made by bees that use local flowers meaning the honey can help limit allergens you may suffer from.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                      smoothie can also work as a meal replacement.
                      hey now!!!!!
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Leftovers from the night before.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I have 3 sunny-side up eggs on top of steel cut oats. Quite easy to do in the slow cooker.

And by the way, Kep... you should have stayed away from me yesterday. My breakfast was good. But then I had runner snacks during the 25K. Lunch was okay... omelette with 1 slice toast (butter and jam), coffee. Dinner though was shrimp tacos with rice and refried beans, a mango margarita, Chardonnay, and a brownie.

But I'm not as dogmatic against sugar as some people here. I went without it for two years, felt miserable, and reintroduced it sparingly. And I don't consider it "cheating" to eat a brownie or some ice cream. Part of the hormones is I've learned how to LIVE. Food is more than fuel. Food is family. Food is culture. Food is life. Food is times with my best friends that became family. My Bible is the Fannie Farmer cookbook. And before anyone asks about my weight... I stand 6'2", weigh somewhere between 213-220, and can routinely run marathons.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Monday, May 13

Breakfast: none
                            Lunch: Roast beef on brioche (500) pistachios (340), 840
                            BP: 132/77
                            Weight: 237.0
                            Cornell University

Comment

I prefer oat bran instead of oatmeal. Especially if you have issues with the texture of oatmeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                There are lower sugar/carb and higher fiber cereals than others, but oatmeal is an option. It's terribly bland, but with a bit of milk, honey, strawberries, blueberries and/or raisins it becomes much more tolerable. I'd also suggest soy milk as an alternative to even skim.
                                I use almond milk - unsweetened is 30 Kcal/8oz, whereas skim milk in 70 Kcal/8oz. It seems like very little difference, but it's a combination of the little things that really make the changes take effect.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X