Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calorie Counting

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I've never really had an issue with sticking to water, unsweetened tea, and black coffee.
    This is good advice. Liquid calories are some of the sneakiest. If I recall, kep does not like coffee which is a shame. Black coffee is an excellent appetite suppressant.

Kep if you can find something in the three above that is an acceptable substitute for something in your diet, it would go a long way. Only you know yourself well enough to know if it will work or not. Remember, if you are absolutely miserable it is likely not sustainable.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Just exercise.
      It’s very difficult to lose significant weight through exercise alone if you eat like ****

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        Just exercise.
        Not that Kep shouldn’t exercise, but cutting calories is easier. But seriously Kep, at least go for walks or do some sit ups or push ups or something.

Make your own lunches. I don’t actually know the calories in my lunches I bring from home, but I know they’re healthier than my coworker who gets McDonald’s or tacos or subs everyday.

Replace the pop with coffee and water.

If you start feeling hungry and it’s not near mealtime, drink a glass of water and see if you’re still hungry. I’ve tried doing this more the past year and it’s amazing how much less I snack.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
          This is good advice. Liquid calories are some of the sneakiest. If I recall, kep does not like coffee which is a shame. Black coffee is an excellent appetite suppressant.
          I'm actually more into fancy tea these days - I get loose tea imported from Taiwan and China via a store in San Fran (yes, I'm THAT guy ). But I still drink black coffee when I travel to clients and it's not convenient to bring bags of loose tea with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            One thing I have done is break an 8-soda per day (not an exaggeration) home habit by going strictly to 0-cal soda. Still have to do something about the caffeine, though.
            I drink seltzer instead of soda (zero calories, no artificial sweetener) and a ton of unsweetened tea (hot and iced). They just added a “hydration station” at work with three different flavored waters (basically water coolers with things like sliced lemons or watermelon and mint floating in the water). That’s helped me cut back on the tea

Comment

Artificial sweeteners are as bad for you as sugar. There have been studies done that when you taste something sweet, but your body doesn't get the calories, your brain is tricked into making you hungrier at your next meal to make up the deficit.
              This does not surprise me. I used to not be able to finish a whole can of classic Coke because it was filling. Now I chug through 32 oz + of diet soda at lunch and overeat. Then again my weight gain also aligns with graduating college, becoming less active, the ability to afford fast food all the time, and a guy telling me I was fat (which I had never thought of myself as until he said it....and that was 60 pounds ago when I was a healthy weight).

Kep, I suggest pregnancy for weight loss. Nausea will help you eat less, and growing another human burns calories. Also, it could provide motivation to eat healthier. While I haven't actually lost any weight yet...in about 3 weeks I plan to lose 12 pounds in a day.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

In the past 14 months I've essentially lost a person. The key for me was cutting 5 things from my diet: soda, pizza, grains (cereal&white bread mostly), wings and nachos. I was aided greatly by having a farm nearby that sells exactly what I needed. Lean cuts of beef and pork, eggs and fresh dairy. Since I live in Maine cheap, abundant seafood was also an option. My meals have been:
                Breakfast-eggs (bacon 3x week) and skim milk.
                Lunch-protein shake or Greek yogurt, sometimes chowder.
                Dinner-4-6oz of meat or seafood, non-starch vegetables and another glass of milk.
                I'd also typically snack 2-3 times a day, either salad, protein bar/shake or vegetables.

The big thing is avoiding sugar and empty calories. I didn't really count calories, I just ate smart and the calories took care of themselves.

I also have done a lot of walking. I joined the Y for a while and would spend 2-3 hours there 3x per week. I know that's not an option for most people. I have a unique schedule. I've also moved my office into the basement so climbing those stairs has become a frequent activity.

Really though, it's a mental thing. For years I knew how to eat healthy and I knew I needed exercise. I just didn't want to do it. Then something clicked in my head and I was ready. My diet changed overnight and the pounds melted away. There is no magic solution. People have gotten rich selling "Lose weight fast!" schemes. You have to decide to do it. Diet all you want, but it's my experience that until you make the mental decision to change it won't matter.

The fact that you even posted this message is a good first step.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  Kep, I suggest pregnancy for weight loss. Nausea will help you eat less, and growing another human burns calories.
                  I'll consider it. I get nausea from hunger headaches so I can develop a virtuous cycle by simply starving.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So the most effective way for me to loose weight was low carb.

For just that, I'm 40-50lb down on my max many years ago.

When I was running and aerobics on top of that (and a LOT of it), it was 20lb more than that.

I know many people don't like that, say count calories, energy in/energy out balance, etc etc etc....

None of that worked before.

Cutting all sugar and most other carbs did. Bonus for me was that is very much lowered my blood sugar, which has reduced my risk of diabetes, which runs in my family.

It's tough to start with- as the sugar side effects wearing off suck pretty bad. Then the tough part was bread. Sugar is easy, most pasta is easy, and dropping everything but water was easy.

Oh, and drop the beer, at least for now. In the "lose weight" period, I'd do my best to avoid alcohol all together, as that really does a number on your metabolism. But when there, dry wine and dry liquor is ok.

That's what has worked for me for going on 20 years now. Getting older than 50 has made it more of a challenge, but it's still effective.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      I drink seltzer instead of soda (zero calories, no artificial sweetener) and a ton of unsweetened tea (hot and iced). They just added a “hydration station” at work with three different flavored waters (basically water coolers with things like sliced lemons or watermelon and mint floating in the water). That’s helped me cut back on the tea
                      Not enjoying tea and loathing coffee is a hindrance to my efforts. I like some flavored water, though the caveat that sweetness without calories may be self-defeating would indicate that might be self-defeating for me.

What I really need is a local ultimate frisbee or soccer league for ex-thin now-fat adults. Unfortunately all the adult sports leagues anywhere near me are dominated by superhuman fitness nut brokers who are clearly working through their divorces by turning into even supererhumans. No place for me there.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        So the most effective way for me to loose weight was low carb.

For just that, I'm 40-50lb down on my max many years ago.

When I was running and aerobics on top of that (and a LOT of it), it was 20lb more than that.

I know many people don't like that, say count calories, energy in/energy out balance, etc etc etc....

None of that worked before.

Cutting all sugar and most other carbs did. Bonus for me was that is very much lowered my blood sugar, which has reduced my risk of diabetes, which runs in my family.

It's tough to start with- as the sugar side effects wearing off suck pretty bad. Then the tough part was bread. Sugar is easy, most pasta is easy, and dropping everything but water was easy.

Oh, and drop the beer, at least for now. In the "lose weight" period, I'd do my best to avoid alcohol all together, as that really does a number on your metabolism. But when there, dry wine and dry liquor is ok.

That's what has worked for me for going on 20 years now. Getting older than 50 has made it more of a challenge, but it's still effective.
                        This is all really valuable, thank you.

I could eat anything I wanted up until I was 40. Anything. I was also still active (I didn't even have a car until I was 34 so I walked everywhere). The result was completely unhindered sugar and alcohol consumption with zero weight gain, even into my early 40s. Then everything went to hell very quickly.

I'm a big believer in just understanding the scientifically efficient way to accomplish the outcome. This isn't a character issue to me, it's purely biology. So I knew enough to cut sugar. That not being enough now it seems like portion size and controlling carbs are the next low-hanging fruit. Jogging and swimming, which I was adept at albeit bored to tears by when I was younger, are even more mind-numbingly boring now. The Peloton bike is OK because I can simply zone out and watch a 40s movie and burn up the kJ. I've considered lifting, too, since supposedly muscles actually burn calories to maintain themselves (?) and that seems efficient.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          If you start feeling hungry and it’s not near mealtime, drink a glass of water and see if you’re still hungry. I’ve tried doing this more the past year and it’s amazing how much less I snack.
                          I go through about 120 ounces of water a week at week. I always have bottles at my desk and hit any thirst or hunger with that first. That has ended my snacking completely. All my calories intake at work now comes from the lunch meal, which is a big improvement for me.

I have dropped about 10 pounds since my max, by I'm still looking for 30 more and I seem to have plateaued again. Hence the thread. I'm going in the right direction but all the no brainer stuff is done now. Well, except for completely banishing fast food. I learned that by keeping a calorie journal this month.

Tracking just breakfast and lunch:

4/02 2923
                          4/03 2940
                          4/04 1000
                          4/05 1105
                          4/08 1100
                          4/09 1500
                          4/10 1750
                          4/11 1450
                          4/12 1220
                          4/15 1260
                          4/16 1870
                          4/17 0670
                          4/18 1190
                          4/19 2010
                          4/22 1850
                          4/23 0760
                          4/24 2560
                          4/25 1430
                          4/26 1510
                          4/30 1460
                          Last edited by Kepler; 04-30-2019, 12:30 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

The most important thing is figuring out what change you can live with and maintain. I've lost and kept off about 25lbs for the last 6 months by changing how much I eat, not what I eat. For instance with your lunch if you change it to a McDouble and a small fry and you've cut 430 calories and still get a burger and fries.

Comment

I'm actually more into fancy tea these days - I get loose tea imported from Taiwan and China via a store in San Fran (yes, I'm THAT guy ). But I still drink black coffee when I travel to clients and it's not convenient to bring bags of loose tea with me.
                              Trust me...none of us are surprised

The best advice I have been given (had weight issues most of my life) is to get up and be active once an hour. It doesnt have to be anything sweat inducing, walk around the office or your house. Something to keep your body from going into storage mode.

No one method works great. The best thing to do is slowly cut out the bad stuff and replace it. Not all at once but over time. I quit pop in my 20s and it didnt do much for me weight wise but **** if I didnt feel better. Cutting out fast food helped me drop about 20lbs of the 50 I lost and have kept off. Now that I am pushing 40 years old I needed to change up again so I am intermittent fasting. (16/8 plan...restrict all meals to an eight hour window) Helps me not eat at night which is one of my worst habits.

No advice is going to be a catch all...you just have to figure out what you can stand and go piece by piece. Do too much right away and you will quit fast and rebound HARD. Good luck buddy!
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                In the past 14 months I've essentially lost a person. The key for me was cutting 5 things from my diet: soda, pizza, grains (cereal&white bread mostly), wings and nachos.
                                I agree with most of this though I eat pizza fairly regularly and wings semi-regularly. For the wings, if I make them I use a dry rub typically. If I eat ones with sauce I tend to just eat a salad with it (just give me a salad). As for pizza I eat weird pizza with non-traditional toppings like chicken/broccolli/stuff that's a bit more filling (anyone from Minneapolis knows Mesa Pizza). More traditional pizza like your average pizza at pizza hut though will pack on the calories very quickly and I would agree that it should be mostly avoided.

Basically I think you can eat those things but you have to be a bit smarter about how and what. As for the others I agree obviously, nachos = chips which are useless, the grains you describe I mostly cut out.

And you're right, I don't think eating healthier necessarily = worse tasting or boring etc. You just need to be a bit more creative/selective with food and I'd argue that a lot of healthier food tastes better anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                                X