X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: Calorie Counting

Going to expand my lists to the full day of meals since that makes more sense:

9/5: 960 cal

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Yeah, but some of us don’t have 30 minutes to prepare breakfast. Whether it’s in the morning or the night before. I suppose you could theoretically do them in a slow cooker like Alton, but that’s still a lot of effort relative to nuking it.

If you're talking my oatmeal “recipe” that’s just 45 seconds of prep and a minute in the microwave.

Leave a comment:

• Randy26
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, the oats are just cut instead of rolled. They take longer to prepare but some people love them. I’ve made them twice and it’s too much effort. I like old fashioned (not minute) oats with a pinch of salt, a teaspoon or two of maple syrup, and pecans or walnuts. I always use skim milk and rarely cook them until the mush most people like them as.
    Can't be too hard if that's your common routine in the morning, the same as my mom.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

With alcohol, I cut back on consumption, and then switched to either pickled vegetables or popcorn as a snack to go with the wine.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, the oats are just cut instead of rolled. They take longer to prepare but some people love them. I’ve made them twice and it’s too much effort. I like old fashioned (not minute) oats with a pinch of salt, a teaspoon or two of maple syrup, and pecans or walnuts. I always use skim milk and rarely cook them until the mush most people like them as.
    OK so they are actually a different thing, then? It sounds like they would be tougher like some of those tough grained rices people torment themselves with to feel heathier.

I think I'll stay processed and lazy on this one. Pick your battles.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    steel cut oats
    When I see this on farm-to-table menus I always wonder: is it bullsh-t or does it actually mean something? I translate it to "oatmeal you pay 3x the price for."

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Since I'm trying to shed the "f-ck it" attitude, what I've been doing is emphasizing quality protein, quality fiber, and water.

Breakfast: steel cut oats with 3 eggs and 2 large cups of coffee
    Lunch: lean protein, sweet potatoes or quinoa, and a non-starchy veg
    Dinner: same as lunch
    Snacks: fruit (like an apple or pear) and raw almonds or pickled vegetables or maybe popcorn
    Beverages: coffee (black) or green tea, water (sometimes with a Nuun electrolyte tablet), with rare alcohol

What really helps is that I'm cutting back on baking. Double chocolate crunchy peanut butter bread is tasty, but not really all that healthy.

Leave a comment:

• trixR4kids
    replied

My alcohol consumption is related to my food consumption. When I drink, I tend to eat more carbs and fat to soak it up. What I ended up doing is basically cutting back to a small glass 1-2 times a week, and trying to drink with my dinner instead of as a nightcap.
    If I drink during the week I limit it to 1-2 beers/drinks but I do it before/with dinner generally. That said I have a weird eating schedule compared to most people where I kinda just fast in the morning (maybe do a banana on free fruit day), eat lunch around 1-3, sometimes later if I'm extremely busy/overwhelmed, and then have dinner around 9-10, which makes the timing easier.

Leave a comment:

• Randy26
    replied

Been drinking red wine since the acidic stomach reaction to beer. A bottle a week is definitely just fine.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

A bottle of dry red wine a week isn’t bad. Just make sure it’s dry. Cabernet. Zinfandel, Syrah are all good choices. Stay away from the mega brands. Trader Joe’s has some very good wines for super cheap I’m finding.

Alton said it best though. He doesn’t drink milk not because of the milk itself but because it makes him so bad things. So if you’re finding wine is making you eat other things that are especially bad, stop drinking.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    A bottle a week is what, a glass per (work) day? And if you're including the weekends that doesn't sound that bad... (unless you're really trying to cut out alcohol entirely for health reasons or what have you)
    My alcohol consumption is related to my food consumption. When I drink, I tend to eat more carbs and fat to soak it up. What I ended up doing is basically cutting back to a small glass 1-2 times a week, and trying to drink with my dinner instead of as a nightcap.

Leave a comment:

• trixR4kids
    replied

With wine, it's not the wine itself, it's the frequency. When I'm basically drinking a bottle a week...
    A bottle a week is what, a glass per (work) day? And if you're including the weekends that doesn't sound that bad... (unless you're really trying to cut out alcohol entirely for health reasons or what have you)

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I feel like Wine is generally healthier than beer at least and shouldn't have a ton of calories, assuming you aren't getting Arbor Mist or something with a bunch of sugar. Ice Cream and salty snacks are a different story (I went through a chip phase recently but like you said, I generally avoid that aisle).
    With wine, it's not the wine itself, it's the frequency. When I'm basically drinking a bottle a week...

Leave a comment:

• trixR4kids
    replied

I feel like Wine is generally healthier than beer at least and shouldn't have a ton of calories, assuming you aren't getting Arbor Mist or something with a bunch of sugar. Ice Cream and salty snacks are a different story (I went through a chip phase recently but like you said, I generally avoid that aisle).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X