X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: Calorie Counting

Happily I don't care for any chips except the ones that are TERRIBLE for me, so I simply cut them out.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    As Boston-based nutritionist Laura Hartung says, “Most chips offer little to no nutritional value and are basically fried carbs full of fat with a little added salt.”
    He’s not going to eat boiled chicken and broccoli for every meal. I think when you’re trying to do something like this you need to focus on the bigger picture. If he can find a plan where he’s around 2k calories a day, can maintain it long term, and it is fairly balanced he will have a lot of success.

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I’d add a piece of fruit and maybe a small bag of chips or crackers to your lunch.
    As Boston-based nutritionist Laura Hartung says, “Most chips offer little to no nutritional value and are basically fried carbs full of fat with a little added salt.”

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Good for some vitamins, but a bit too high in sugar and lacking fiber. Still, considerably better for you than a Snickers' bar.

https://diabetes.ucsf.edu/sites/diab...ic%20Index.pdf
    W T F, boiled carrots???

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Bananas? I like bananas...
    Good for some vitamins, but a bit too high in sugar and lacking fiber. Still, considerably better for you than a Snickers' bar.

https://diabetes.ucsf.edu/sites/diab...ic%20Index.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Fruit is OK if you pick a high fiber one, like apples or blueberries.
    Bananas? I like bananas...

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Fruit is OK if you pick a high fiber one, like apples or blueberries.

Leave a comment:

• trixR4kids
    replied

Fruit just tends to have a lot of calories and isn't very filling so I mostly tend to avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I’d add a piece of fruit and maybe a small bag of chips or crackers to your lunch.
    Hmm. I could do that. I like fruit a lot. It's probably something I could use for sweetness.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I brought my own breakfast and lunch today rather than going out for it.

May 2

Breakfast: one largish-hotdog sized bratwurst (200) and Diet Dr. Pepper (0): 200

Lunch: turkey and cheese on a hamburger bun (180) and flavored selzer (0): 180

380 and counting.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Unless you absolutely hate all veggies you could add a bunch of those on the side (or on your sandwich) as they're filling and low calorie (if you pick the right ones like spinach or Broccoli). I usually eat a salad with spinach as the base with most meals.
    Some vegetables are tolerable when cooked, but I thought that defeated the purpose of them?

Leave a comment:

• trixR4kids
    replied

Unless you absolutely hate all veggies you could add a bunch of those on the side (or on your sandwich) as they're filling and low calorie (if you pick the right ones like spinach or Broccoli). I usually eat a salad with spinach as the base with most meals.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I brought my own breakfast and lunch today rather than going out for it.

May 2

Breakfast: one largish-hotdog sized bratwurst (200) and Diet Dr. Pepper (0): 200

Lunch: turkey and cheese on a hamburger bun (180) and flavored selzer (0): 180

380 and counting.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

My problem with food tracking apps for calorie counting is that if you do your own cooking, you have to enter each ingredient and hope it's both in the database and has the numbers entered accurately. It drives me insane trying to pick from the different brands, serving sizes, and nutrition counts of eggs, veggies, crackers, bread, etc. My Fitness Pal is particularly terrible at this, and I inevitably quit using it after a couple of days.
    If you cook from recipes, you can import and easily make changes to it. It's slightly time consuming (we're talking maybe 5 minutes), but my type A self doesn't mind. I find logging calories isn't a hardship. Sometimes following it is , but not logging. It helps force me to plan meals. I hate cooking during the week after I get home from work.

I do wish they had a little more quality control over people adding things, such as adding minced garlic that is 1600 calories or spelling things incorrectly... but it doesn't annoy me enough to stop using it.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    I assume you mean good strategy as in weight loss strategy
    I meant theory as to why fasting might be effective/ineffective.

But your whole response was very interesting. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X