• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Movie Spoiler Thread. You've Been Warned

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    1) without batman, there is no joker
    2) bruce wayne (who grows up to BE batman) was in the movie

ergo, batman
    No, that's the difference between a character and a universe.

Once it becomes universe it can lose any character, even a "foundational" one, and it's still the universe. It's the sign of the maturation of the concept.

Sherlock Holmes will never be a universe because without him there's no there there. I'd argue Super Man is the same though I defer to DCers. But Batman belongs to a universe so Batman is inessential.

Now, you may argue the Batman and Super Man universes are identical in which case Super Man is also inessential. But in either case, Batman is inessential.
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-24-2019, 02:13 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      In many of the stories, Batman is a kid when the Joker is in his 20s-30s. Not all of them, but it still happens.
      Hmmmmm. Interesting
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        No, that's the difference between a character and a universe.

Once it becomes universe it can lose any character, even a "foundational" one, and it's still the universe. It's the sign of the maturation of the concept.

Sherlock Holmes will never be a universe because without him there's no there there. I'd argue Super Man is the same though I defer to DCers. But Batman belongs to a universe so Batman is inessential.

Now, you may argue the Batman and Super Man universes are identical in which case Super Man is also inessential. But in either case, Batman is inessential.
        So..... if someone makes a Lois lane movie and she is Carrie Underwood jr and sluts it up, but one of the dudes is names Clark and has cute hair....

Is this not a Superman movie?

Comment

So..... if someone makes a Lois lane movie and she is Carrie Underwood jr and sluts it up, but one of the dudes is names Clark and has cute hair....

If someone makes a Lois Lane movie and she is Carrie Underwood jr and sluts it up they should be shot. Lois Lane is the ambitious but pure of heart girl reporter. And she's a brunette, obviously, because blondes are evil and redheads are crazy.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If someone makes a Lois Lane movie and she is Carrie Underwood jr and sluts it up they should be shot. Lois Lane is the ambitious but pure of heart girl reporter. And she's a brunette, obviously, because blondes are evil and redheads are crazy.
            Mary Jane Watson then and Peter Parker???

Comment

Selina Kyle in the pantry with a whip and a candlestick?

Comment

Mary Jane Watson then and Peter Parker???
                There are Spider-Man stories where there is no Peter Parker, and Spider-Man stories where it's actually Spider-Girl. They've done a number of those stories in the multiple-universe design. There's even a recent animated movie that's won a large number of awards that touches on these various plots used through that comic's storyline.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

1) without batman, there is no joker
                  2) bruce wayne (who grows up to BE batman) was in the movie

ergo, batman
                  No. This is not a Batman story...Bruce Wayne is in the film Batman isnt and (most likely) never will be. I get your point but this is not a universe where Batman grows up to fight the Joker it is a universe where Gotham spawns a Joker. Batman and his age are inconsequential.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Is he flying around wearing a cape and an S at any point? If the answer is no then it is not a Superman film. This isnt rocket science.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Is he flying around wearing a cape and an S at any point? If the answer is no then it is not a Superman film. This isnt rocket science.
                      As Villanel would say, "BORRING!"

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        So...Superman Returns?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Is this still a movie spoiler thread? Can’t there be a thread for people to argue about comics?

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            Is this still a movie spoiler thread? Can’t there be a thread for people to argue about comics?
                            The idiot blonde girl in Zombieland 2 doesn't die. I wish she did, though.

There.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              The idiot blonde girl in Zombieland 2 doesn't die. I wish she did, though.

There.
                              I knew she had to still be alive. It happened off camera. However, I expected her to be a walking corpse that would later bite someone important. I did not expect her to be driving a ****ing clown truck.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                I knew she had to still be alive. It happened off camera. However, I expected her to be a walking corpse that would later bite someone important. I did not expect her to be driving a ****ing clown truck.
                                To the fact that of the hatred factor of a million was within me...she was the best actor/actress of the movie. That is how well she nailed her character.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X