Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    French think it was an electrical fire.
    The usual suspects will say that's just a cover-up to shield the Muzzie invaders.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    More gold. Make everything gold. Even the toilets.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA7J0KkanzM

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

French think it was an electrical fire.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    The extra money might help them rebrand and add more features!
    More gold. Make everything gold. Even the toilets.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

They could Bluetooth it! Everybody loves Bluetooth.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The reconstruction/restoration effort has already collected $1B in funding from private sources. Then add in what the French gov't will kick in, and they really don't need any other help other than appreciated symbolic donations.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

On one hand, Notre Dame is an important historical building, even if you only looked at the art and architecture; and yes, even it's religious history adds immensely to its important, as that reflects the impact it has had on history, and this is coming from a very non-religious person who appreciates history. Given all of that, I would be very much for whatever can be done to keep it in as great a shape as possible, as I would for pretty much any UNESCO site, religious or not.

That said, it will end up with no shortage of private and French-specific funding. I mean, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it's freaking Notre Dame yo. I don't know if we need to throw our taxpayer dollars at it, with plenty of our own problems.
    The reconstruction/restoration effort has already collected $1B in funding from private sources. Then add in what the French gov't will kick in, and they really don't need any other help other than appreciated symbolic donations.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

On one hand, Notre Dame is an important historical building, even if you only looked at the art and architecture; and yes, even it's religious history adds immensely to its important, as that reflects the impact it has had on history, and this is coming from a very non-religious person who appreciates history. Given all of that, I would be very much for whatever can be done to keep it in as great a shape as possible, as I would for pretty much any UNESCO site, religious or not.

That said, it will end up with no shortage of private and French-specific funding. I mean, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it's freaking Notre Dame yo. I don't know if we need to throw our taxpayer dollars at it, with plenty of our own problems.
    Macron's estimate was 1B Eur. By Wednesday night, French private pledges alone exceeded 700M Eur. Our help will not be needed, which is likely why Dump made an offer.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied
    Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Where is this news story? The only one I found was a Medialite where he wants to "personally donate to rebuild" it.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/whit...ld-notre-dame/

Sure, most of his money has been grifted off our tax dollars since 1/20/2017, but I don't think there's going to be a "Give France Money for a church" bill passed through Congress anytime soon.
    https://www.elitedaily.com/p/the-white-house-response-to-the-notre-dame-fire-is-raising-comparisons-to-flint-puerto-rico-17044821

Following the Notre Dame fire, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders released a statement on Tuesday, April 16 that the White House would assist in Notre Dame's rehabilitation. It's still unknown how much aid the Trump administration will send to Paris
    And if you think this administration cares about the power of Congress to control the budget, think again. The money for Sniffles' wall? Nope. Do you remember a "Put kids in cages" bill going through Congress?

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Isn’t it currently managed by a charity jointly run by the Catholic Church and French ministry of culture?
    Like I said, France and the Vatican can pay for it. Our bank is closed*.

*unless you have oil, then prepare for a US-backed coup at any moment

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Sure, most of his money has been grifted off our tax dollars since 1/20/2017, but I don't think there's going to be a "Give France Money for a church" bill passed through Congress anytime soon.
    The ACLU would melt down if that were to happen.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    I'm not thrilled that Sniffles is pledging my tax dollars to helping restore a church in another country. Maybe help rebuild Puerto Rico or get Flint some water.
    Where is this news story? The only one I found was a Medialite where he wants to "personally donate to rebuild" it.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/whit...ld-notre-dame/

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Splitting hairs, but since 1905 the French Government owns all the cathedrals that were in France then. One could claim that US $$ going to rebuild ND is a form of foreign aid.
    Isn’t it currently managed by a charity jointly run by the Catholic Church and French ministry of culture?

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    The point is that we live in the United States with a separation of church and state. Tax dollars are not supposed to be used to endorse any religion anywhere. Which is exactly what we are doing. More to the point, we are doing so to support a white, Western European, Catholic church and letting any other religious institution fend for itself. Kepler and others are going to argue that the Notre Dame cathedral has value beyond that of a religious structure to which I'll suggest that a monument even older than Notre Dame had at least as much, if not more, value. We've already established that tax dollars shouldn't be wasted on insignificant things like human beings living in our own country, but I feel it is important to point out that we also see religions other than historically white, Christian religions as insignificant too. I know the usual suspects are about to chime in with cries that I'm playing the race card, but I'll point out the inconvenient truth that the same government pledging our tax dollars to rebuild a church in France hasn't even mentioned the three churches burned in 10 days by a white supremacist in Louisiana.
    Splitting hairs, but since 1905 the French Government owns all the cathedrals that were in France then. One could claim that US $$ going to rebuild ND is a form of foreign aid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X