Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlagDUDE08
    replied
    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...what-happened/

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

ok, everyone who has seen this, raise you hand
    "Progress has never been a bargain. You have to pay for it. Sometimes I think there's a man who sits behind a counter and says, "All right, you can have a telephone but you lose privacy and the charm of distance. Madam, you may vote but at a price. You lose the right to retreat behind the powder puff or your petticoat. Mister, you may conquer the air but the birds will lose their wonder and the clouds will smell of gasoline."

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    E. K. Hornbeck : Evolution is a tricky question, which is hungrier, my stomach or my soul? Hot dog.
    Bible salesman : Are you an evolutionist? An infidel? A sinner?
    E. K. Hornbeck : The worst kind, I write for a newspaper.

ok, everyone who has seen this, raise you hand

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    yup
    E. K. Hornbeck : Evolution is a tricky question, which is hungrier, my stomach or my soul? Hot dog.
    Bible salesman : Are you an evolutionist? An infidel? A sinner?
    E. K. Hornbeck : The worst kind, I write for a newspaper.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

We COULD afford both. We COULD afford to do anything. We don't.
    we own the presses (MMT!!!!! )

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

I place more importance on restoring nature and providing food to millions of people more than providing spirituality. But I guess I'm just weird that way.
    yup

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Not the same situation.

But I don't recall anyone donating money to clean up or rebuild the actual structures..
    there was private insurance

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, other countries never offer us aid to cleanup property:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwa...pill#Reactions

The U.S. government rejected offers of cleanup help from Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations. The U.S. State Department listed 70 assistance offers from 23 countries, all being initially declined, but later, 8 had been accepted.[309][310] The USCG actively requested skimming boats and equipment from several countries.[311]
    I place more importance on restoring nature and providing food to millions of people more than providing spirituality. But I guess I'm just weird that way.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not trying to rank priorities. I just think that at a point beyond the local Parisian government or the country of France it isn't a priority at all (except for maybe Vatican City).
    Oh, we totally disagree, then. Notre Dame is a gift to all of humanity. We all should have a stake in preserving it. Notre Dame is way, way, way, way, way more important than France. It predates France.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    No, the problem is the answer is: "why not both?"

You're falling into the GOP trap of we can't even pay for X, so why are we funding PBS or giving health care to anchor babies. We're the richest country on the farking planet. We can afford all of the above.
    We COULD afford both. We COULD afford to do anything. We don't.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

It is very selfish to have the audacity to consider actual human lives more important than property. I apologize.
    Yeah, other countries never offer us aid to cleanup property:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwa...pill#Reactions

The U.S. government rejected offers of cleanup help from Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations. The U.S. State Department listed 70 assistance offers from 23 countries, all being initially declined, but later, 8 had been accepted.[309][310] The USCG actively requested skimming boats and equipment from several countries.[311]

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    It is very selfish to have the audacity to consider actual human lives more important than property. I apologize.
    No, the problem is the answer is: "why not both?"

You're falling into the GOP trap of we can't even pay for X, so why are we funding PBS or giving health care to anchor babies. We're the richest country on the farking planet. We can afford all of the above.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Maybe it's also because the WTC were an insured private commercial venture.

Notre Dame would be like if the US Capitol building were burned to the ground. Or if the Hoover Dam were destroyed. Countries pledge aid to each other all the time. Hurricanes are one example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurric...ional_response

We're in this together and everyone can take their selfish responses and shove them.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Not the same situation.

If someone actually set fire to the building, I'm sure we would be all in on helping finding them and getting some retribution- just like what happened in 9/11.

But I don't recall anyone donating money to clean up or rebuild the actual structures.

Again, for this particular situation, we are also bound by the Constitution, which should prevent us from donating money to a church. Again, while I'm totally for people donating money, and who knows, I may, too. But I'm not for our government doing it.
    Maybe it's also because the WTC were an insured private commercial venture.

Notre Dame would be like if the US Capitol building were burned to the ground. Or if the Hoover Dam were destroyed. Countries pledge aid to each other all the time. Hurricanes are one example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurric...ional_response

Over seventy countries pledged monetary donations or other assistance. Cuba and Venezuela (both considered as hostile to US government interest) were the first countries to offer assistance, pledging over $1 million, several mobile hospitals, water treatment plants, canned food, bottled water, heating oil, 1,100 doctors and 26.4 metric tons of medicine, though this aid was rejected by the U.S. government.[142][143][144][145] Kuwait made the largest single pledge, $500 million; other large donations were made by Qatar and United Arab Emirates (each $100 million), South Korea ($30 million), Australia ($10 million), India, China (both $5 million), New Zealand ($2 million),[146] Pakistan ($1.5 million),[147] Norway ($1.8 million),[148] and Bangladesh ($1 million).[149]
    We're in this together and everyone can take their selfish responses and shove them.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This is a logical fallacy, though. It's the argument that when we rank order priorities we cannot justify spending anything on priority 2 unless we completely solve priority 1. But that's now how things really work. Problems are diminished but rarely completely solved. Also: enhancement of life is not made completely irrelevant by the persistence of suffering.

I'm sympathetic to what you're saying: no city should pass a bond for a ballpark when it can't afford books. But I think that is not analogous to this. Not to mention that to a global donation base one billion euros is noise.
    I'm not trying to rank priorities. I just think that at a point beyond the local Parisian government or the country of France it isn't a priority at all (except for maybe Vatican City).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X