Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome folks, to the Biden administration!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went to a public HS (albeit a very good one), then the U and MSUM. Never went to graduate school. I didn't go into an "anyone can do that field" like finance. But I have college professors in my family, both of my wife's parents were college professors, blah, blah.

We do quite well because we paid attention to the world and had parents that cared and were vested. Now we don't want for anything and we will be able to continue to travel the world comfortably. Ivies are great I won't besmirch them but the vast majority that have made something of life didn't attend one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I went to a public HS (albeit a very good one), then the U and MSUM. Never went to graduate school. I didn't go into an "anyone can do that field" like finance. But I have college professors in my family, both of my wife's parents were college professors, blah, blah.

We do quite well because we paid attention to the world and had parents that cared and were vested. Now we don't want for anything and we will be able to continue to travel the world comfortably. Ivies are great I won't besmirch them but the vast majority that have made something of life didn't attend one.
      There's an economic study out there on the impact of attending an Ivy League school. For most people who both qualify and can pay for an Ivy League education, the benefits are negligible when compared with the people of same socio-economic background, grades, etc. that attended a good state or other private school. The people for whom it matters are disadvantaged minorities, and other people who grew up poor. For rich people it's actually a net loss on the money side as it turns out that rich people almost always find a way to make the next generation rich as well.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

There's an economic study out there on the impact of attending an Ivy League school. For most people who both qualify and can pay for an Ivy League education, the benefits are negligible when compared with the people of same socio-economic background, grades, etc. that attended a good state or other private school. The people for whom it matters are disadvantaged minorities, and other people who grew up poor. For rich people it's actually a net loss on the money side as it turns out that rich people almost always find a way to make the next generation rich as well.
        Unless that study adjusted for what they did with their degree it's worthless. Rich people who go to top ranked schools often go for liberal arts in order to go into academia, teaching, or non-profit work. The project isn't to make money because they already have more than they'll ever spend.

Remember: at the top end of the spectrum (wealth and intelligence) people are still using universities for what they did a hundred years ago: to become educated, not animal training to learn a trade or make a killing. It's a completely different mindset when money is no longer an object. It colors their whole life.

The average income of my friends who grew up in rich families is a fraction of my friends who grew up in poor families. They don't view money as bad, or good, but just as there, like air. They never have had to worry about it, so income never mattered. Money isn't normative for them -- it's not a sign of effort or moral good or worth.

They are the only people I've ever met who have a healthy attitude towards money. Unlike the rest of us, they use it, it doesn't use them.

Last edited by Kepler; 01-08-2021, 03:53 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Billboards all across the highways here in tb for a Dennis Hernandez who does PI law that stress “Harvard law graduate”

love to think of any fellow alums who drive past and blanche ;^]
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Biden to give an address tonight on public health.

It will be good to have a President again after almost 4 years.
            Last edited by Kepler; 01-14-2021, 12:16 PM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Unless that study adjusted for what they did with their degree it's worthless. Rich people who go to top ranked schools often go for liberal arts in order to go into academia, teaching, or non-profit work. The project isn't to make money because they already have more than they'll ever spend.

Remember: at the top end of the spectrum (wealth and intelligence) people are still using universities for what they did a hundred years ago: to become educated, not animal training to learn a trade or make a killing. It's a completely different mindset when money is no longer an object. It colors their whole life.

The average income of my friends who grew up in rich families is a fraction of my friends who grew up in poor families. They don't view money as bad, or good, but just as there, like air. They never have had to worry about it, so income never mattered. Money isn't normative for them -- it's not a sign of effort or moral good or worth.

They are the only people I've ever met who have a healthy attitude towards money. Unlike the rest of us, they use it, it doesn't use them.

I have a friend that's trust fund rich and went to Cornell. They did build a waterfront home that was featured in an architecture magazine, but it's not ridiculously over the top. Anyway, aside from that if you ran into them outside their home you'd think they're an average middle class / middle aged person with an outdoor chic style. They drive a subaru outback and definitely didn't pick a career focused on accumulating wealth, but rather based on personal interest and an opportunity for interesting experiences.

Comment

• Will Biden's speech tonight tell us that COVID is over since he won?
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Will Biden's speech tonight tell us that COVID is over since he won?
                  Nah... It's that he's opening up internment camps for people who refuse to wear masks and throw temper tantrums about not being able to go to a bar 0=)
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Nah... It's that he's opening up internment camps for people who refuse to wear masks and throw temper tantrums about not being able to go to a bar 0=)
                    Stop teasing me.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Not an administration position but another great Biden pick: Jaime Harrison will run the DNC.

Tells me (1) they're serious about black outreach, (2) Clyburn is going to be a very strong voice of guidance for Biden, and (3) a metric shirt ton of old white cold porridge is being quietly shown the door. Tim Kaine, Mark Warner, Michael Bennet, Jeanne Shaheen, god I'm falling asleep just typing their names.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 01-14-2021, 05:39 PM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

It's a start.

Cornell University

Comment

Not an administration position but another great Biden pick: Jaime Harrison will run the DNC.

Tells me (1) they're serious about black outreach, (2) Clyburn is going to be a very strong voice of guidance for Biden, and (3) a metric shirt ton of old white cold porridge is being quietly shown the door. Tim Kaine, Mark Warner, Michael Bennet, Jeanne Shaheen, god I'm falling asleep just typing their names.
                          So he knows how to lose by 10 points to one of the five least popular Senators in America with a massive money advantage. At least Beto kept it close. He's mainly been a lobbyist. He'll fit right in.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Not an administration position but another great Biden pick: Jaime Harrison will run the DNC.

Agreed

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post

So he knows how to lose by 10 points to one of the five least popular Senators in America with a massive money advantage. At least Beto kept it close. He's mainly been a lobbyist. He'll fit right in.
                              I think this is completely short sighted...
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post

Was trixie your burner account? :-p

Comment

Working...
                                X