X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: North Dakota is Still the Worst

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Anyways he always kind of goes off about how great it is when he drinks it and sort of side eyes that I will choose something else from his collection. I know he is full of it and he knows he is full of it and I am pretty sure he knows I know he is full of it but whatever he is a former actor and teaches in the city so he kind of has an ego. Well one day soon when he has me pour I will pour a Blantons and Buffalo Trace (same Distillery and a much cheaper bottle) which I usually have and switch them. 99% chance he doesnt notice but he will still pontificate about how great Blantons is while drinking their "lesser" whiskey. (which to be fair I always kind of liked better) I wont embarrass him about it but I will always know...
    I had a college friend who was like this about vodkas. She'd go on and on about top shelf vodka and because she was obscenely rich she could and did buy everything possible.

So one hockey trip my friends and I all got drunk, blindfolded her, and lined up 16 quarter shots from all the ridiculous $100 bottles she had plus a variety of middle shelf bar stock down to Smirnoff, Stoli, and the rest of the bat guano.

She nailed every one of them. We tried mixing them and she still got something like half of the combinations. She couldn't get any that were divided into thirds -- she said they all tasted like mud though by that time she was probably about 6 FTE shots in. I've not seen a sincere standing ovation for drinking since. God bless Cortland girls.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If you run middle of the road vodka through a Brita filter like twice it becomes top shelf.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Is that why you lived in NYC for a few years
        I love nyc but I’ll never live on the east coast again!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          If you run middle of the road vodka through a Brita filter like twice it becomes top shelf.
          IIRC, Mythbusters ran this experiment years ago, and while the professional vodka taster they brought in correctly ranked all 10 filtrations, Kari Byron thought the least filtered shot was the best one.

Comment

[T]here is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

Comment

Blanton's is the new hyped bourbon, hence the increase in price. Same with Weller and Michter's.

I will order an Old Fashioned if I think they know how to make a good one AND it's not crowded at all. I plan on ordering one in Houghton next week. There's a place that makes outstanding ones.

I rarely if ever drink macro beers. Outside of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, I cannot recall the last time I had a macro besides a prank or two. Most of it is because I want to support the craft breweries.

That being said, if I start talking about beer and describe the "nose" or "mouthfeel" of it, feel free to punch me. I'll describe the taste/flavors, whether it's thick or thin, and that's about it. Layman's terms.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Blantons is the most overrated and overpriced bourbon I’ve ever bought. Several years ago I bought a bottle and it ended up being my manhattan or old fashioned whiskey. It just wasn’t as good as its price.

Weller and Michter’s are both very good.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  Blanton's is the new hyped bourbon, hence the increase in price. Same with Weller and Michter's.

I will order an Old Fashioned if I think they know how to make a good one AND it's not crowded at all. I plan on ordering one in Houghton next week. There's a place that makes outstanding ones.

I rarely if ever drink macro beers. Outside of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, I cannot recall the last time I had a macro besides a prank or two. Most of it is because I want to support the craft breweries.

That being said, if I start talking about beer and describe the "nose" or "mouthfeel" of it, feel free to punch me. I'll describe the taste/flavors, whether it's thick or thin, and that's about it. Layman's terms.
                  Mouthfeel is the same thing as thickness. So say cheese.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I don't say "mouthfeel," to sound all pretentious. That's the point. "This is thick" compared to "The mouthfeel on this is viscous."

I was always unimpressed with Bulleit, TBH.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      I don't say "mouthfeel," to sound all pretentious. That's the point. "This is thick" compared to "The mouthfeel on this is viscous."

I was always unimpressed with Bulleit, TBH.
                      Reads as though one is describing a bj (catcher)
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Reads as though one is describing a bj (catcher)
                        That is a running joke in beer trades. "I trade you this bottle and three mouthfeels..."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          IIRC, Mythbusters ran this experiment years ago, and while the professional vodka taster they brought in correctly ranked all 10 filtrations, Kari Byron thought the least filtered shot was the best one.
                          I believe that is correct although IIRC the expert also said there was little difference between the like "7 filtered" and the top of the line but it has been a while since I watched it.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post

Blanton's isnt newly hyped, it has been hyped for years. The price has been like $54 at the places I shop for well over a decade. Buffalo Trace had the big price increase cause the Hipsters found it. Used to be able to buy a bottle of that for $19.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I don't get why people are so judgmental of others for the choices they make with music, clothing, beer, etc. As long as it doesn't harm you who cares if someone is a hipster? I remember the goths from high school and while I thought they looked like idiots I was friends with a quite a few of them despite being a "jock" and not all of them were melancholy, sour, morbid, etc. - some of them just liked the look. If someone prefers a lager over a pale ale or a stout have at it. My older son likes music that's closer to my own tastes, the younger one likes a lot of what I like, but he also listens to broader range of hip hop and pop. That's awesome. My younger boy likes the same sports I do, the older prefers anything involving an engine. Cool. My best friend in the world likes a lot of the same music as I do but he likes country which on the whole makes my ears want to bleed. I would never look down on him for it. Not everyone that drinks craft been does so because it's trendy, the same for those were smoking cigars in the 90's or hopped on the single malt train 20 years ago. Freaking let people be what they want if it doesn't infringe upon you and get over thinking your tastes are more honest, sophisticated, etc., and get over yourselves.
                              Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-12-2019, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                It's a term of art in food science. I have a friend whose doctorate involved the mouthfeel of Twinkies. It had biochemistry in it that is well beyond every person on this forum.

Foodies are weird people to me but I don't get why they threaten or anger some. Think of them as cosplay eaters.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X