This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: North Dakota is Still the Worst

Restaurant options in the TC have infinitely improved the past 20 years and I imagine even more so the past 4 years I've been away. There are still the chains and conglomerates, but plenty of other options across a wide spectrum are now available and it's been a chef-driven revival. this explains why.

FYI my wife was the GM for Patrick's Cafe for 3 years, for 2 years at Mt. Fuji, and consulted on menus with the owners of Amazing Thailand, and before that the King and I several years prior to their retirement.

Sad to see some former favorites have closed though including Bento Box and Krungthep Thai.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-11-2019, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Vancouver is overrated. It is Seattle only with more Heroin
      You haven't been to all of Seattle...

(To be honest, "Seattle only with more Heroin" is Kamloops.)
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You still have no idea what you're talking about, but since you were such a citizen of the world 20-25 years ago, you keep pretending old man.

Comment

in mookie's 'top 5' pizza list is soho pizza on sukhumvit soi 11 in bangkok. just plain awesome. go figure
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

"I wonder that you will still be talking, Signior Benedick. Nobody marks you."
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Y'all ain't gonna top Moose's Tooth in the pizza department so whatever.
              Been there. It’s not bad. Would definitely go again.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Restaurant options in the TC have infinitely improved the past 20 years and I imagine even more so the past 4 years I've been away. There are still the chains and conglomerates, but plenty of other options across a wide spectrum are now available and it's been a chef-driven revival. this explains why.

FYI my wife was the GM for Patrick's Cafe for 3 years, for 2 years at Mt. Fuji, and consulted on menus with the owners of Amazing Thailand, and before that the King and I several years prior to their retirement.

Sad to see some former favorites have closed though including Bento Box and Krungthep Thai.
                TC restaurants are nothing like 15-20 years ago. It’s incredible. Where places like Hoyt’s, Jax, and St Paul Grille were tops here then, now you have world-class options like Spoon & Stable. Gavin Kaysen is a farking genius and is eventually going to get a Michelin star. I’m shocked he hasn’t earned one yet.

Slap, I’m excited for you to come back and try some of these new places. Travail is going to be pretty incredible when they re-open in their new building. Even the mid-range has become a must try.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Do you guys change capes when you go from discussing craft beers to discussing whether The Pizza in This Metro of 8+ million people is better than The Pizza in That Metro of 8+ million people?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Man, you have no idea how many discussions this either eliminates you from, or subjects you to serious ridicule on this board.

I stay out of the NY/Chiraq pizza wars, simply because I know Detroit-style Sicilian is the best.
                    I've posted on GPL long enough to know that lol! Milwaukee does have enough different ethnic groups to have some really restaurants, Mader's for instance is great if you like German food. Also the south side has a ton of great Mexican restaurants.

For the most part when I go back I tend to go to the places that my family liked, Kopps has great custard and it's certainly worth going to if the flavor of the day/month looks good and their burgers aren't the specialty burgers you get at some high end place with Lucy's but they're your typical good greasy hangover food that isn't trying to be overly pretentious (and it's a burger so it probably shouldn't be to begin with). Also Oakland Gyros is similar in the sense that it's located near a college but is open late and you get a very good portion size for the price.

That said I don't think it has as many high end options as the Twin Cities or as much variety nor the top chefs like DX mentioned.
                    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    And before someone like trix calls me out for hypocrisy, I don't consider Detroit-style "American pizza". It's definitely it's own thing. I guess there are some shops in NY that do squares, but they don't bake it like we do.
                    I'm not looking to get overly pretentious about pizza haha, like I said I don't eat it nearly as often as I used to and my waistline has thanked me for it.
                    Last edited by trixR4kids; 07-11-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      TC restaurants are nothing like 15-20 years ago. It’s incredible. Where places like Hoyt’s, Jax, and St Paul Grille were tops here then, now you have world-class options like Spoon & Stable. Gavin Kaysen is a farking genius and is eventually going to get a Michelin star. I’m shocked he hasn’t earned one yet.

Slap, I’m excited for you to come back and try some of these new places. Travail is going to be pretty incredible when they re-open in their new building. Even the mid-range has become a must try.
                      I plan to gain some weight whenever that is.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I grow less enamored with the Michelin star as I learn more about it. While I do think that it is a great way to benchmark some places (particularly France as that was where it was developed), I'm not sure that it is a worthwhile benchmark in the US. Currently there are now only 4 cities in the US that are reviewed by Michelin reviewers - NY, Chicago, San Fran, and Washington DC. While I can respect that the country is larger than those in Europe and it is easier to survey more restaurants in a smaller area, I find it hard to believe that it isn't worthwhile to visit some of the other large cities in the US and find even 1 star Michelin level dining and service in those cities. I agree with your sentiments on Kaysen (despite not yet having had the opportunity to eat in his restaurants) as well as about Travail (we did get to enjoy their tasting menu with melmac and her husband when we were all out there in 2017 for the FF).

Comment

Michelin can only be used to compare restaurants in those cities. AFAIK they make no pretensions about being exhaustive and always say there are plenty of restaurants that would be 3 stars all through the world which they don't get to.

IINM there is also some pay to play. It still cracks me up that the signature culinary landmark is brought to us by the equivalent of Goodyear. Because nothing says haute cuisine like steel belted radials.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            You haven't been to all of Seattle...

(To be honest, "Seattle only with more Heroin" is Kamloops.)
                            Too many "Faux Homeless" in Seattle for there to be a Heroin problem. So many Rich White kids who had to rebel and live on the streets with their dogs to show they werent the pansies everyone knows they are. They just smoked lots of weed and did meth
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Too many "Faux Homeless" in Seattle for there to be a Heroin problem. So many Rich White kids who had to rebel and live on the streets with their dogs to show they werent the pansies everyone knows they are. They just smoked lots of weed and did meth
                              That was a Portland thing when I was there. They would try to hit people up for cash. It was very funny. In real life the employed population of Portland has no time for Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein cosplay. We're still three standard deviations to the left but go f-ck yourselves white Millennials.

I'll bet half those kids go to law school and become Republicans like the Summer of Love loafers did. Spoiled flower children are what made Reaganomics possible.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Do you guys change capes when you go from discussing craft beers to discussing whether The Pizza in This Metro of 8+ million people is better than The Pizza in That Metro of 8+ million people?
                                Not me...but I also dont drink Craft Beer and think pizzas from all over are great. I also dont go into Starbucks and order drinks that have 12 words and think if you need to water down your alcohol with anything more than ice you should just stop. (and if I am bartending we are always unable to make Old Fashioned you Hipster Dweebs!)

And dont let these guys fool you...they are the same way. They talk like this because they think it makes them sound smart when they get caught getting a cold cut combo from Subway
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X