This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    When you guys make me President and give me a Dem Congress I will solicit a list of the most extreme progressive legal historians and con law professors in the US and start filling the Federal Judiciary with them from the top down. When a SCOTUS position becomes available I seat the highest, healthiest, youngest one. The right has been doing the converse for the last 20 years and we have to act in kind.
    Pretty much, and idk if term limits or packing is the best option but after Garland/Kavanaugh there’s no point in just accepting the current system and acting like it works.

Comment

• Re: The States: North Dakota is Still the Worst

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
      Pretty much, and idk if term limits or packing is the best option but after Garland/Kavanaugh there’s no point in just accepting the current system and acting like it works.
      Kavanaugh, while terrible, was within the norms of the system.

Gorsuch was invalid and should either be removed or countered with 2 liberal justices. A much larger Court is a better idea anyway. If the orcs name 2 more their next president then we can do the same and just gradually grow the Court out to 21 or something. That would be far, far better in the long run.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A complete partisan hack who revealed how partisan he was within the first minute of his hearing technically is within the norms (and got in 50-49 thanks to our buddy Joe M) but that just shows how broken it is.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          The solution will be to do nothing and let the courts decide. That way they can go to the voters and claim it is all the judiciary's fault.

Gutless if they do it

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/25/71724...-gerrymandered
          I recall voting last November for a nonpartisan group to setup election maps going forward. Did the Michigan GOP gut it when I wasn't looking in the lame duck session?
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

If the party in charge flips [despite the unrealistically high percentage of the overall vote in will take for that to happen AND it happens in a cycle which will give that party control of the next redistricting]
            This is so ridiculously unlikely, it's silly to even talk about it.
            Last edited by GrinCDXX; 04-26-2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

BING! But the party in charge will do the least amount of effort to make it "fair". If the party in charge flips, ditto, for revenge is a dish best served over your dead body.
              Don't get too excited. Your party has been fighting nonpartisan districting tooth and nail, because the more democratic we become, the more there is truly one man one vote, the worse they do.

That should give one pause.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                I recall voting last November for a nonpartisan group to setup election maps going forward. Did the Michigan GOP gut it when I wasn't looking in the lame duck session?
                Here are MIs congressional maps. They look better than mine.

https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/3576663002
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Here are MIs congressional maps. They look better than mine.

https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/3576663002
                  The Detroit-area districts are a jigsaw joke and need to be re-done. Otherwise, it's not too awful - no matter how you slice and dice western and northern Michigan, they're still solidly red. Justin Amash or Fred Upton might have to sweat a bit if you redrew MI-3 to include K-zoo, or MI-6 to include Battle Creek.

The state maps are another matter - there are far more districts to fiddle with there.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      No, but the commission won't draw until after the 2020 elections, in which case the Republicans would still take the House and keep the Senate due to the districts.

The lawsuit is saying they have to be redrawn before next year and that the senate elections must be reheld (when the senate wouldn't normally have elections again until 2022).

Of course, it sounds like the SCOTUS ruling regarding other states cases may make this appeal irrelevant and then the GOP can continue their congressional hold until at least 2022.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Kentucky.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Solid op-ed piece about the redistricting appeal in this morning's Detroit Free Press.

TLDR: We better hope Roberts sees the light, or else there will be no redistricting until after 2020.

Comment

Butthurt Republicans threaten to cut funding because a historic site now references the native name for the land on their sign.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Hardly a surprise. I have a buddy who has season tix to Miami hockey. there are still a number of fans who insist on calling them the Redskins even though the school voluntarily changed the team names after being asked (not demanded as I understand it, but asked) by the Miami tribe to change. Basically, these folks resent that the school chose to respect the wishes of the people after whom their University is named.

There will always be people who think everything should be a certain way, and that it should never change for any reason ever. Tradition, doncha know.
                              Last edited by duper; 04-28-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I'm sure this is sitting in Walz' shredder wastebasket as we speak.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X