X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: North Dakota is Still the Worst

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The Founders were worried about large and powerful entities routing the power of individuals. The entities they were worried about were governments -- the most dominant of their day.

The most powerful entities of our day include large business entities. Perhaps we need to rethink their rights in our society and recognize that they can also be significant threats to personal liberty. I see no reason to extend the same "freedom of religion" to Amazon as I do to you. Amazon isn't a person. I have no interest in its 1st amendment freedoms as those are nothing but their controllers' freedoms armed with a megaphone to drown out everyone else's.
    Hobby Lobby faced a big backlash when it was found out about their beliefs at the top level. May big time corps have adjusted gun sales laws due to market pressure. Same with stores that sell tobacco. The $ rules all, and if the market deems it, the corps will adjust or fail. *2cents*

Edit: MN is quickly switching to 21+ for tobacco because of keeping it out of high schools where many are 18YO, which I disagree with, I'd compromise at 19YO sales.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      Hobby Lobby faced a big backlash when it was found out about their beliefs at the top level. May big time corps have adjusted gun sales laws due to market pressure. Same with stores that sell tobacco. The $ rules all, and if the market deems it, the corps will adjust or fail. *2cents*
      Except when the belief is popular. Nothing stops a rich company that has owners with a popular bigotry if that bigotry is "religious liberty." All the South would have had to do in the 50s and 60s was claim that and no desegregation. There was indeed a long history of Christian institutions working hand in glove with racists to uphold segregation and white supremacy.

Some personal beliefs are icky enough and harmful enough that they aren't protected, even if they're in a magic book. Otherwise we get mandatory clitorectomies at the local Muzzie hospital.
      Last edited by Kepler; 05-14-2019, 01:13 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        Edit: MN is quickly switching to 21+ for tobacco because of keeping it out of high schools where many are 18YO, which I disagree with, I'd compromise at 19YO sales.
        You know what else kids manage to get in HS? Beer and weed.

EDIT: On a side note, I thought San Antonio was the conservative city in southern Texas. Must be getting spillover from Austin now.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          EDIT: On a side note, I thought San Antonio was the conservative city in southern Texas. Must be getting spillover from Austin now.
          I heard rumblings about SA turning blue, funky, gay, and in general civilized starting about 10 years ago. I think it's one of those cities that is v e r y s l o w l y emerging from the Great Red Spot in the center of the country -- the p-ss drain in America's shower. Des Moines is another maybe?
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Des Moines is another maybe?
            Don't know about that, but Omaha has this weird "d0uchey coffee and locavore restaurants" hipster element you wouldn't expect.

Comment

Don't know about that, but Omaha has this weird "d0uchey coffee and locavore restaurants" hipster element you wouldn't expect.
              Does Omaha have a lot of, ahem, diverse faces? Back when Dr. Mrs. worked for La Migra she told me Midwestern cities compete for fat contracts to resettle refugees and Omaha landed a sh-t ton of Iraqis and Somalis.

That had to have improved the food and culture, anyway.

And the literacy.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                Arizona: We still have issues to deal with, but now you can own nunchucks!

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...PEVzL45eRUTv20
                Don't laugh too hard, but my ND CC firearms permit also includes ...

"Dangerous weapon" meaning any switchblade or gravity knife, machete, scimitar, stiletto, sword, dagger, or knife with a blade of five inches [12.7 centimeters] or more; any throwing star, nunchaku, or other martial arts weapon; any billy, blackjack, sap, bludgeon, cudgel, metal knuckles, or sand club; any slungshot; any bow and arrow, crossbow, or spear; any weapon that will expel, or is readily capable of expelling, a projectile by the action of a spring, compressed air, or compressed gas, including any such weapon, loaded or unloaded, commonly referred to as a BB gun, air rifle, or CO2 gun; and any projector of a bomb or any object containing or capable of producing and emitting any noxious liquid, gas, or substance. "Dangerous weapon" does not include a spray or aerosol containing CS, also known as ortho-chlorobenzamalonitrile; CN, also known as alpha-chloroacetophenone; or other irritating agent intended for use in the defense of an individual, nor does the term include a device that uses voltage for the defense of an individual, unless the device uses a projectile and voltage or the device uses a projectile and may be used to apply multiple applications of voltage during a single incident, then the term includes the device for an individual who is prohibited from possessing a firearm under this title
                Thank goodness I didn't have to go on range and prove my ability to safely handle 'chucks.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

This was sorta my recollection, also every breakfast item is covered in Hollondaise

Comment

Here is hoping the MNGOP forces a shutdown. That should go over real well.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                      Our Governor ran on increasing taxes. He won. Doesn't matter. Republicans just say no and gum up the works.

**** Republicans.
                      Scoobs, the GOP has a 2 seat majority in the state Senate. That's the only thing standing in the way of total Dem control of state govt. Instead of jacking off to perceived bad news, how about you bust a gut next year and help the Dems flip those remaining two seats? Or would you prefer to just complain instead?
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Scoobs, the GOP has a 2 seat majority in the state Senate. That's the only thing standing in the way of total Dem control of state govt. Instead of jacking off to perceived bad news, how about you bust a gut next year and help the Dems flip those remaining two seats? Or would you prefer to just complain instead?
                        Already flipped my Senator. Already busted a gut on the Governor (not my choice by a long shot either). And I live in a Republican district.

But, whatever. Sorry for the spam. I won't bother anymore.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Already flipped my Senator. Already busted a gut on the Governor (not my choice by a long shot either). And I live in a Republican district.

But, whatever. Sorry for the spam. I won't bother anymore.
                          So, here's a newsflash Scoobs. The knuckledraggers don't take elections off. Therefore, neither should you. What's up with this "I already" did this or that sh it? Your job, and the job of every Minnesotan to the left of the KKK, is to KEEP up the effort until not only the fight is won, but the Dems then maintain control of state govt.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            can mookie place a bet on what scooby will do!??!?!!?!?!!?!?
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              can mookie place a bet on what scooby will do!??!?!!?!?!!?!?
                              I ain't taking the other side of that bet!

Comment

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X